[$50 Bounty] Rent A Hero No. 1: Potential for swapping files with the English XBox version?

Moderator: VasiliyRS

Robfozz
shadow

[$50 Bounty] Rent A Hero No. 1: Potential for swapping files with the English XBox version?

Post#1 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:23 pm

So I recently learned about the English prototype for Rent A Hero No. 1 that was planned for the Xbox but cancelled last minute. I've been playing this game nonstop and I absolutely love it. Chock full of Dreamcast era Sega references and the game itself has that strong Dreamcast aura of ambition and quality.

Anyway, I decided I would much rather play this game on Dreamcast just because I feel it would much better be at home there (Its the same exact game but yknow muh comfy gaming experience). Did some Googling and it appears to me there haven't been any attempts to import the English translation into the Dreamcast version. So I did some basic attempts at extracting all the files from both games to see how the file structures compare and well... at least on a surface level, they seem to be exactly the same internally, aside from a few extra things in the Xbox version which I assume are just for things that were added to that version(It has a new battle mode or something Im not too sure).

Ok so, why am I here? Basically, Im too big of an idiot to swap things around and see if theres potential to get things working. I was following a guide on this site for decompiling and recompiling CDI images and it just was not working correctly for me. Either Im not following the instructions correctly or Im just not understanding something right, whatever it is Im messing something up somewhere and my recompiled ISO is just garbage data. I'm making this post sort of as a proof of concept, that injecting the English assets into the DC game may be quite simple. If you understand the decompiling and recompiling process better than I do, please give this a shot.

The unreleased XBox version of the game can be found here: http://hiddenpalace.org/Rent_a_Hero_No.1_(Localization_Prototype)
You can easily pull the files out of the Xbox ISO with the program qwix here:https://digiex.net/attachments/qwix101-rar.6683/
Like I said, the files and extensions between the two versions appear to be identical, so theoretically this shouldnt be too hard to pull off unless theres some roadblock I'm not seeing here. I just need someone whos more knowledgeable than me with dreamcast formatting and compiling.

Thanks everyone! This is a really cool game, I think any Sega fan would really enjoy, it has a lot of aspects similar to Shenmue and Yakuza combined with its own brand of uniqueness. It would be so awesome to play it in English on the Dreamcast.
Last edited by Robfozz on Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepperonium

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: Rent A Hero No. 1: Potential for swapping files with the English XBox version?

Post#2 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:02 pm

Someone did try this about 10 years ago. The issue they ran into was something about changing the text on the Dreamcast side to English...or at least this is how I remember it.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Robfozz
shadow

Re: Rent A Hero No. 1: Potential for swapping files with the English XBox version?

Post#3 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:45 pm

Alright, let's raise the steaks on this. I'm willing to bust out a clean $50 paypal to whoever can get this working. Ive looked at all the game files to the best of my ability between the two games and they're the same. There is no reason recompiling the game with the Xbox files should not work. If it somehow doesn't, someone experienced with file hacking should be able to do it without too much effort.

Whoever can get even just english text working in the game will receive the bounty.

If you understand Dreamcast decompiling and recompiling this should be an easy $50 for you.
Pepperonium

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:16 am

Robfozz wrote:Ive looked at all the game files to the best of my ability between the two games and they're the same.

Not sure where you got that idea. I had a look at the files from both and they're completely different. I can't even find a single file that's the same. The game's dialog in the Dreamcast version is stored in 14 .MES (STORYXX.MES) files in the DATA/TEXT directory. These files don't exist in the XBOX version. I tried to find where the dialog is stored but I wasn't able to find any files with plain English text.

As Bob said, this has been attempted before without success. I'm sure it's a lot more involved than just replacing a few files. It definitely seems like they made a lot of changes for the XBOX version.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Re: [$50 Bounty] Rent A Hero No. 1: Potential for swapping files with the English XBox version?

Post#5 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:23 pm

fyi.. you spelled $5,000 wrong...