[WIP][release][pre-alpha]Modded Monaco RS2 Online Dreamshell Edition

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

mrneo240
Rank 9

Re: Any demand for modded Monaco RS2 Online?

Post#41 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:00 pm

Code: Select all

/* Calculation of smooth-shading and bump-map in one go */
      if (i==M_TIREBUMP)
      {
         KMBumpShade (&Matrx, Mesh[M_TIREBUMP].nNumVertex, pBump[M_TIREBUMP], Mesh[M_TIREBUMP].pNormals,
                  KmVert[M_TIREBUMP], KmVert[M_TIRE],   LightDirection, BUMP_METHOD_TRANSLUCENT);
      }

/* Setting UV values and colors for all the meshes */
    for (i=0; i<NUM_MESHES;i++)
   {
      for (j=0; j<Mesh[i].nNumVertex; j++)
      {
         /*
          * UVs have been multiplied by a number to get a more wide
          * range. It's neccessary for the tire model ONLY.
          */
         if(i==M_TIREBUMP || i==M_TIRE)
         {
            (KmVert[i]+j)->fU = *(Mesh[i].pUV+j*2+0)*8.0f;
            (KmVert[i]+j)->fV = *(Mesh[i].pUV+j*2+1);

}
         else
         {
            (KmVert[i]+j)->fU = (Mesh[i].pUV) ? *(Mesh[i].pUV+j*2+0) : 0.0f;
            (KmVert[i]+j)->fV = (Mesh[i].pUV) ? *(Mesh[i].pUV+j*2+1) : 0.0f;

}

(KmVert[i]+j)->uBaseRGB.dwPacked   = (i==M_PLATES || i==M_GROUND)?0xFFFFFFFF:0xFFA0A0A0;
         (KmVert[i]+j)->uOffsetRGB.dwPacked   = 0x00000000;

}

}

void InitBumpmapMesh (int Object)
{   
      /*
       * Local coordenates system for bump-mapping.
       * 3 floats for Tanget axis and 3 floats for Binormal Axis
       */
      pBump[Object] = (float *)MemPtr;
      MemPtr += ((KMDWORD)(Mesh[Object].nNumVertex*sizeof(float)*6) + 0x1F) & ~0x1F; /* 32Byte Alignment */

/*
       * That is the function that calculates the local coordenate system
       * for every single vertex. The information is stored in pBump[]
       */
      KMBumpCalculateLocalCoords (pBump[Object], BUMP_COORDS_ANYDIRECTION,
                           Mesh[Object].nNumVertex, Mesh[Object].pVertex, Mesh[Object].pNormals, Mesh[Object].pUV,
                           Mesh[Object].nNumFaces, Mesh[Object].pFaces);   

}

would be a bitch to hack it into monaco though

Edit:

/* Base texture for the wheel (opaque for 'translucent bumpmapping')*/
   KMShellLoadTexture (&Tex[5],(unsigned long *)Tire, 128,   KM_TEXTURE_TWIDDLED_MM | KM_TEXTURE_RGB565);
   KMShellInitVertexContext (&VertexContext[M_TIRE], &Tex[5], VC_OPAQUE);

/* BUMP MATERIALS */

/* Tire (translucent for 'translucent bumpmapping')*/
   KMShellLoadTexture (&Tex[1],(unsigned long *)TireBump, 256,   KM_TEXTURE_TWIDDLED | KM_TEXTURE_BUMP );
   KMShellInitVertexContext (&VertexContext[M_TIREBUMP], &Tex[1], VC_TRANS | VC_SPECULAR);

Double Edit: thats all confidential and shit so watch your back for Sega and VideoLogic Limited. LOLOLOL :D

moi
blackout!

Post#42 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:24 am

mrneo240 wrote:Double Edit: thats all confidential and shit so watch your back for Sega and VideoLogic Limited. LOLOLOL :D

Hey mrneo240, where does the source code come from? Is it an example from one of the official SDKs?

do you think adding bump mapping to games would be possible?

Probably not. Aside from injecting the code you would also have to modify the game textures accordingly as far as I can see. That's something beyond my skills.

What are the model formats? I wonder if any of the exporters of old Maya or Studio Max is compatible?

I'm not sure how Maya or SM handles raw/unknown data. But if you are interested I could upload some files which look like they may contain geometry data for track and car models.

The texture map isn't put together very efficiently. Looks like it has been done in a rush.

That's just the way it looks. The screenshot shows GIMP interpreting raw data from the Australia track file.
Each texture block starts with some random bytes which might be additional individual palette(in addition to the global palette whose format I've figured out) data follwed by 3 Bytes("TAG") followed by the pixel data. So with each new texture block your row shifts by at least 3 pixels to the right and possibly to the beginning of the next row(even more pixels if there is those suspected palette bytes are available).See the "charmilles technologies" logo for instance.
This shouldn't be an issue when editing the textures though, you just have to pretend that all pixles are ordered correctly. I might write a texture extractor which takes care of those extra bytes and just exports the pixels in their "correct" order.

I have quite the nostalgia for the pilots around 98'era, I was really into F1 at the time : Hakkinen, Coulthard, the Schumacher brothers, Barichello, Villeneuve, Trulli, Fisichella, Alesi, Salo, Irvine etc

True. I especially liked Juan Pablo Montoyas reckless driving in his debut race :D

Maybe we could have 2 versions if it's a simple change and doesn't create online incompatibility of course.

I might write a quick editor for changing team and driver names if I have time and there is a demand for it.
Edited driver names shouldn't affect multiplayer, since there is no CPU drivers in online mode.
Edited team names should be showing up in online mode (only for people using modified version of course).
This is not tested yet though. Team and driver data can be found in multiple locations inside the game data(probably due to pal typical multi language). I've only changed the locations that could be seen in offline mode, since my dc is not connected to the net yet.
Last edited by moi on Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#43 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:20 am

Yup it's a bumpmapping tutorial from the SDK. It's also pretty slick that's the only stuff required to set up bumpmapping.

WingMantis
dark night

Post#44 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:02 pm

Does the SDK have a decompiler / disassembler?

Pretty sure I read somewhere that someone from SEGA said they don't really care if people use the official tools at this point. Not sure where I read it though

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#45 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:07 pm

It has neither (decompilers are very very difficult to write, and not useful for the people writing software).

The docs for sh4 assembly opcodes are available though. As are 2 Homebrew tools dcdism and dcdis. Both are disassemblers, plus you obviously have IDA.

Reading through the assembly and taking note of common method signatures is fairly easy. The assembly itself trips me up but really only because it's new to me, plus it has weird opcodes. Patching is a tricky because I'm having to encode the instructions by hand and then swap the endianness.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#46 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:09 pm

WingMantis wrote:Does the SDK have a decompiler / disassembler?

Pretty sure I read somewhere that someone from SEGA said they don't really care if people use the official tools at this point. Not sure where I read it though

You got a source on that? I'd love to see them release a couple of missing SDK revisions. We have 3 but are missing the entire Japanese SDK library and a bunch of early sdks

WingMantis
dark night

Post#47 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:28 pm

mrneo240 wrote:
WingMantis wrote:Does the SDK have a decompiler / disassembler?

You got a source on that? I'd love to see them release a couple of missing SDK revisions. We have 3 but are missing the entire Japanese SDK library and a bunch of early sdks

I can't remember where I read it. Maybe somewhere on the Junkyard, dcserv.org, dcemulation, segaxtreme, etc.

I tried to google but couldn't find. It wasn't an official statement from leadership but a response to a question from someone at SEGA

DreamcastUK
brutal

Post#48 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:22 am

moi wrote:
DreamcastUK wrote:Well that’s good news then isn’t there a track editor in one of the versions of Monaco GP?

Nope. There are lots of reviews from back in the day mentioning a "track editor" by which they mean the track texture editor which indeed was included in the PC original.
I'm 100% sure that there is no official editor in the wild. Absence of any custom made tracks featured in any fan made season update packs is another evidence of this.

No need to do anything with Malaysia as the last time it was raced at was at the weekend and no plans for it to be included in the championship next year

Well, I'd be glad to add any new content if it's possible, regardless it being featured in most recent F1 seasons or not. I might even give those classic F1 tracks from RS2 a shot. More tracks, more fun online, right?

Sure, best of luck with your efforts I’m always around if you need anyone to test sections with you for bugs / glitches etc as I’m on the game pretty much everyday online or offline.
Online Games: PSO | Quake III Arena | Toy Racer | 4x4 Evo | Starlancer | Planet Ring | Maximum Pool

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor

Chael
fire

Post#49 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:13 pm

moi wrote:Well, I'd be glad to add any new content if it's possible, regardless it being featured in most recent F1 seasons or not. I might even give those classic F1 tracks from RS2 a shot. More tracks, more fun online, right?

Totally agree. BTW some of the stock tracks are weird since the pitstop lane can be used as a shortcut (e.g. Spa) while in real F1 you'd have to slowdown or get a penalty. Dunno if that can be modded to just have the pitlanes closed since they are useless.

DreamcastUK wrote:as I’m on the game pretty much everyday online or offline.

Well check the shoutbox on DC-talk and the status on dc-now during the (uk) evening, we often played this week, just yesterday we did a few races as 5 players at a decent time for EU, with you we could have been full, (most of the time just 3-4 players).
There's also a dc online discord where I ping people for Monaco but most people there don't seem to be interested.

We could also try to organize a weekly or bi-weekly races event to ensure we get 6 players, maybe on suday during EU night and NA afternoon, regardless of classic DC nights.

DreamcastUK
brutal

Post#50 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:10 pm

Chael wrote:
DreamcastUK wrote:as I’m on the game pretty much everyday online or offline.

Well check the shoutbox on DC-talk and the status on dc-now during the (uk) evening, we often played this week, just yesterday we did a few races as 5 players at a decent time for EU, with you we could have been full, (most of the time just 3-4 players).
There's also a dc online discord where I ping people for Monaco but most people there don't seem to be interested.

We could also try to organize a weekly or bi-weekly races event to ensure we get 6 players, maybe on suday during EU night and NA afternoon, regardless of classic DC nights.

Sounds like a plan
Online Games: PSO | Quake III Arena | Toy Racer | 4x4 Evo | Starlancer | Planet Ring | Maximum Pool

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor