[WIP][release][pre-alpha]Modded Monaco RS2 Online Dreamshell Edition

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

moi
blackout!

Re: Any demand for modded Monaco RS2 Online?

Post#21 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:12 pm

mrneo240 wrote:
Wow. How did you unpack the romdisk? How do I repack it?

Quick work though.

Write something up and I'll make a nfo for you.

It is just a test release as a proof of concept kinda.
I used MultiExtractor to unpack and modify romdisk.dat.
When replacing, modified files have to be the same size or smaller compared to the original.

To change game text I modified romdisk file table with a hex editor to move the game text data to the end of the romdisk. This way I didnt have to care about changing the file size and destroying the file order by putting longer text strings. This way I could change ^Team 3^ to ^Ferrari^ for instance.

moi
blackout!

Post#22 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:15 pm

mrneo240 wrote:Also how did you manage to get this to run without corrupted graphics without CDDA? In my testing and researching I HAD to have CDDA or it would work but have terribly corrupted 3d graphics.

The original GDI structure was

data1
cdda
cdda
data3

My GDI combines data1 and data3 to one data3 track. Yours might have lacked textures form data1 track therefore causng the glitches.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#23 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:42 pm

As far as CDI creation goes:
Data/data layout at LBA 45000 = corrupted graphics
Audio/data layout with cdda = working graphics

Both use the exact same set of data files with the exact same sort. Only difference is Dummy size.

moi
blackout!

Post#24 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:31 pm

mrneo240 wrote:As far as CDI creation goes:
Data/data layout at LBA 45000 = corrupted graphics
Audio/data layout with cdda = working graphics

Both use the exact same set of data files with the exact same sort. Only difference is Dummy size.

Hey man, thanks for working on the CDI creation, did you test the game in online mode by any chance? I'm wondering whether the game text for online team and car data is located at the same romdisk position, since team and driver names can be found multiple times in romdisk.dat.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#25 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:46 pm

I didn't because I don't have the capability. Multiple people have though and I heard it worked for them.

The CD works in my dreamcast so that's all I got. I think some people have uploaded videos of races. Maybe check YouTube.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#26 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:09 pm

I know the CDI neo240 made worked perfectly. If there is a new version, that I have not tested or know where to find that.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

DreamcastUK
brutal

Post#27 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:29 am

I would be very interested in this

Seeing as Grand Prix 3 was meant to come up on Dreamcast which still to this day gets updates on tracks , drivers and sponsors etc if there was a mod to update Monaco that would be great!

As half the tracks are no longer in the real championship and also no need to do drivers names for online play as people have created their own user names which they use online and unsure if there is a demand for the offline mode to play thru.

So skip drivers names I personally feel
Online Games: PSO | Quake III Arena | Toy Racer | 4x4 Evo | Starlancer | Planet Ring | Maximum Pool

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor

moi
blackout!

Post#28 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:41 am

mrneo240 wrote:I didn't because I don't have the capability. Multiple people have though and I heard it worked for them.

I see. Thanks for confirming.

Bob Dobbs wrote:I know the CDI neo240 made worked perfectly. If there is a new version, that I have not tested or know where to find that.

I've got a GDI download link in my first post. It works in DEMUL and should work from HDD/SD-Card in Dreamshell or other devices such as GDEMU.
I'll upload a new image as soon as I've got (some) ingame textures figured out and updated.
So I would be wasting CDRs just yet.

DreamcastUK wrote:I would be very interested in this

Seeing as Grand Prix 3 was meant to come up on Dreamcast which still to this day gets updates on tracks , drivers and sponsors etc if there was a mod to update Monaco that would be great!

I'm pretty sure I can manage to create an extractor and injector for in game textures.
So cars, cockpit sponsors (and track textures) can be updated.

As half the tracks are no longer in the real championship and also no need to do drivers names for online play as people have created their own user names which they use online and unsure if there is a demand for the offline mode to play thru.
So skip drivers names I personally feel

Driver and team names are already updated to the 2017 season in my GDI from the first post.
So are track names although they have they official season 1998 names.
When it comes to modifying track geometry I had absolutely no luck yet. All changes result in game crashing before race.

I was hoping to being able to port content from F1 Racing Championship over, since it's based on official F1 licensed 1999 season and already features the Malaysia track. Also I'm sure the track skyboxes are higher resolution and better-looking than MGPRS2O's

F1RC seems to run on an updated RS2 engine but the game file format is mostly incompatible aside from car cockpit sprites.

I also tried to replace Australia track with the RS2 1950 oldtimer which diidn't work unfortunatelly.

Anyways, I'll keep you guys updated, once there is progress made.

DreamcastUK
brutal

Post#29 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:58 am

Well that’s good news then isn’t there a track editor in one of the versions of Monaco GP?

No need to do anything with Malaysia as the last time it was raced at was at the weekend and no plans for it to be included in the championship next year
Online Games: PSO | Quake III Arena | Toy Racer | 4x4 Evo | Starlancer | Planet Ring | Maximum Pool

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor

moi
blackout!

Post#30 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:53 pm

DreamcastUK wrote:Well that’s good news then isn’t there a track editor in one of the versions of Monaco GP?

Nope. There are lots of reviews from back in the day mentioning a "track editor" by which they mean the track texture editor which indeed was included in the PC original.
I'm 100% sure that there is no official editor in the wild. Absence of any custom made tracks featured in any fan made season update packs is another evidence of this.

No need to do anything with Malaysia as the last time it was raced at was at the weekend and no plans for it to be included in the championship next year

Well, I'd be glad to add any new content if it's possible, regardless it being featured in most recent F1 seasons or not. I might even give those classic F1 tracks from RS2 a shot. More tracks, more fun online, right?

PS: I might have figured out the AI drivers waypoints: