can we get a Sega CD Emulator to run on the dreamcast?

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

can we get a Sega CD Emulator to run on the dreamcast?

Post#1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:34 am

Does anyone know if we can get Sega CD games to run on one of the Genesis emulators? It would be nice to play Popful Mail on my Dreamcast. I am able to play it on my pc, but it would be cool to play it on the Dremcast. a few other Sega CD RPG's would be nice too. I know the Sega CD didnt have a lot of good games, but it did have a few gems. I wish someone would try to make this happen for the RPG's alone.

dark
Shark Patrol

Re: can we get a Sega CD Emulator to run on the dreamcast?

Post#2 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:50 pm

Don't quote me, but I think the sega cd had its own processor, ram, etc. So although a genesis emulator would be a logical starting point to work from towards sega CD emulation, it would still require a substantial programming effort and knowledge of the sega CD to create a sega CD emulator... and so far there isn't one to my knowledge.

Dreamcast_Ninja
dark night

Post#3 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:04 pm

Yeah I too would like to play shit like Popful Mail, Keio flying squadron, jpn Sonic Cd and Dennin Aleste on my dreamcast aswell, but have a feeling it's not going to happen.

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#4 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:06 pm

There's no way to get SegaCD games to run on a Genesis emulator that doesn't have special support for the SegaCD's extra hardware (CPU, RAM, Video Scaler chip, etc).

Being that we don't have a Genesis emulator that runs perfectly (full speed, no frameskipping, etc) on the Dreamcast, I wouldn't count on having a SegaCD emulator any time soon. That, and most people seem to have moved on from making emulators for the Dreamcast at this point, sadly.

That said, this was quite the necrobump that was done on this thread prior to my post... :lol: