Trying to creat self-booting CDi's from GDi's

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Doctor Butler
rebel

Trying to creat self-booting CDi's from GDi's

Post#1 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:53 pm

I want to play Kenju on CD-r, on a real Dreamcast.

The entire game is 105MB, it doesn't need to be downsampled, it just needs to be recompiled as a CDi somehow, right?
How do I do this?

(And no, I do not want that stupid SD card thing, that defeats the whole point of playing it on a real Dreamcast
- nor do I want an ugly Dreamshell interface, I want the disc to boot directly into the game, so it feels like a real retail game)

megavolt85
Developer

Re: Trying to creat self-booting CDi's from GDi's

Post#2 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:27 pm

Doctor Butler wrote:The entire game is 105MB, it doesn't need to be downsampled, it just needs to be recompiled as a CDi somehow, right?

Why did you get the idea that downsample on pirate disks is associated with the size of the disk?

Doctor Butler wrote:And no, I do not want that stupid SD card thing, that defeats the whole point of playing it on a real Dreamcast

On OG Xbox there is RAM MOD, those who soldered 128 MB of RAM can run games from Sega Chihiro, the rest are not, I hope you understand why I told you this.

Doctor Butler
rebel

Post#3 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:11 pm

megavolt85 wrote: Why did you get the idea that downsample on pirate disks is associated with the size of the disk?.

My understanding is that people downsample assets to fit a GigaDisc game within the 700MB limit of a CD-r, usually removing the dummy data, or in some cases, remastering assets at a lower quality to save space.

megavolt85 wrote:On OG Xbox there is RAM MOD, those who soldered 128 MB of RAM can run games from Sega Chihiro, the rest are not, I hope you understand why I told you this.

You're suggesting that Kenju's RAM footprint is too big for Dreamcast, which I'm not sure is the case, I could have sworn I saw people on YouTube playing it on real hardware, but using DreamShell or GDEmu (ew) to boot the GDI

Am I mistaken?

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#4 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:44 pm

the Atomiswave game ran from a cartridge, the CD-R is too slow...

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#5 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:47 pm

What's ugly is playing games from a CD-R, defeats the entire point of playing it on a real dreamcast.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#6 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:51 pm

I'm so glad I can block users.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:57 pm

Fax

Doctor Butler
rebel

Post#8 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:01 pm

deluxux wrote:What's ugly is playing games from a CD-R, defeats the entire point of playing it on a real dreamcast.

The CD reading too slow to load, compared to a PCB makes sense, sure. It is what it is.

If you're gonna navigate through a gross, clunky menu, and not have physical media, you might as just emulate on your PC, what's the point, then?

ItalianGrandma
undertow

Post#9 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:31 pm

I mean, the point is that you're playing games on real hardware. Sure, there's a menu and you're not using CDs, but the game itself is the same performance-wise whether you're playing off CD or GDEmu. I get why you'd want to play on CDs, but I think you're missing the point too by condemning other methods for playing games on real hardware.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#10 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:33 am

Doctor Butler wrote:My understanding is that people downsample assets to fit a GigaDisc game within the 700MB limit of a CD-r, usually removing the dummy data, or in some cases, remastering assets at a lower quality to save space.

90% of games fit on a CD-R only when the dummy file is removed, but games still had to compress the quality of video and sound, just because the reading speed of CD-Rs does not allow them to be read in normal quality

Doctor Butler wrote:You're suggesting that Kenju's RAM footprint is too big for Dreamcast

no, I'm talking about the fact that some games will only work on a modified console.

Doctor Butler wrote:If you're gonna navigate through a gross, clunky menu, and not have physical media, you might as just emulate on your PC, what's the point, then?

it is not so difficult to accurately emulate a drive, but to make an accurate emulation of SH4, HOLLY, AICA is a very difficult task and at the moment no one has done this and will not do it in the near future