Megadrive Official Emulator VS Gens4all 4.3

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

KmusDC
fire

Megadrive Official Emulator VS Gens4all 4.3

Post#1 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:41 pm

This post is not to compare, since comparisons are hateful... the reason I used an image of the official emulator is to emphasize the resolution of both, clearly you can see that in Gens4all the output resolution is reduced Compared to the official emulator, call it Smash pack or Obsidian. The one I personally use is Gens4all, the sound superiority is indisputable and it is clearly much better, but I have a question and I would like to know if it is possible to increase this lower resolution and make it look the same as the others?
I have seen videos of Ian Micheal where he tests and everything looks normal, will it be like this only on emulators? In my Gens4all console it has a lower resolution than other Megadrive emulators, here I leave 2 images where that resolution downgrade was dared.
I am thinking that in its optimization the resolution was sacrificed a bit to achieve such excellent results, I can play calmly so super grateful, but I have that doubt... could it be possible to improve the output resolution of Gens4all? regards

PSO II (Gens4all 4.3) = Excellent sound, poor resolution.

PSO II (Megadrive Official Emulator) = Good resolution but the sound is bad.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Megadrive Official Emulator VS Gens4all 4.3

Post#2 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:03 pm

Are you using VGA it's very sharp that's what it's made for.. what your showing is 240p using it not 480p..
Use vga output it's not lower res at all ..

Great results it rendering higher res 640x480 use vga.. The other all use frameskip.. It will look bad if you use 240p output what i show perfect clear is vga output what it was made for..

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#3 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:21 pm

VGA output Dreamcast compare now :) Not poor res your using 240p cable lol
dc3.jpg

dc2.jpg

dc.jpg

KmusDC
fire

Post#4 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:04 am

Ian Micheal wrote:Are you using VGA it's very sharp that's what it's made for.. what your showing is 240p using it not 480p..

Great results it rendering higher res 640x480 use vga.. The other all use frameskip.. It will look bad if you use 240p output what i show perfect clear is vga output what it was made for..

Indeed, I am using S-Video cable. Thank you very much for answering, I'm going to test it using VGA, so the difference is only with that type of cable. Greetings.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#5 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:06 am

KmusDC wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:Are you using VGA it's very sharp that's what it's made for.. what your showing is 240p using it not 480p..

Indeed, I am using S-Video cable. Thank you very much for answering, I'm going to test it using VGA, so the difference is only with that type of cable. Greetings.

Yes it is np :)

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#6 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:02 am

Yeah I was gonna say that Gens4All looks razor sharp on my screen, it should just be a video cable thing.

KmusDC
fire

Post#7 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:32 am

OlivusPrime wrote:Yeah I was gonna say that Gens4All looks razor sharp on my screen, it should just be a video cable thing.

I certainly haven't tested with vga. Although in the images both are with the same cable.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#8 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:20 am

KmusDC wrote:
OlivusPrime wrote:Yeah I was gonna say that Gens4All looks razor sharp on my screen, it should just be a video cable thing.

I certainly haven't tested with vga. Although in the images both are with the same cable.

It's how it's coded 480p you need vga.. for it.. And it be sharper then all the others by some mark....

TapamN
letterbomb

Post#9 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:48 am

It kind of looks like the flicker filter is on... KOS is supposed to disable it when the resolution is set to 320x240, but maybe that's not happening for some reason? Maybe the fact that Gens4All switches resolutions between the game list and actual emulation is confusing KOS?

I only tested Gens4All on VGA, so I don't know what happens on NTSC/PAL. On VGA, it's fine.

KmusDC
fire

Post#10 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:19 am

TapamN wrote:It kind of looks like the flicker filter is on... KOS is supposed to disable it when the resolution is set to 320x240, but maybe that's not happening for some reason? Maybe the fact that Gens4All switches resolutions between the game list and actual emulation is confusing KOS?

I only tested Gens4All on VGA, so I don't know what happens on NTSC/PAL. On VGA, it's fine.

tested with vga it looks perfect, I have not tested with the conventional VA cable, only S-Video and VGA.