Must have GENESIS emulator download (GENS4GOOD)

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Re: Must have GENESIS emulator download (GENS4GOOD) - Updated to ver. 4.3 (01-24-2022)

Post#81 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:43 pm

Kbackman427 wrote:I noticed Mickey Mouse World of illusion does not load on this. I am guessing its a corrupted file on that one because I remembered it working on an earlier release. I have been using the much older 2007ish emulator for that one as it works well on that. If you wonderful people decide to update to the Gens4Dreams list this game should be retested as it is a great Genesis game believe it or not and I believe does work.

You're right, it doesn't seem to be booting. Looking at my final output, the rom it's looking for seems to be correct, I renamed it to ZIP already, so there should be no concern with it. Maybe it's too long of a filename, maybe the emulator can't parse ampersands? Maybe it's a compressed file issue.

I'm gonna start working on an RC3 in this case, double-check all the games and see if anything else is failing.
So far, sounds like World of Illusion, Golden Axe 3 Redux (due to faulty NTSC-PAL interpretation), and ATP 2022 need to be removed/fixed. I also need to replace Ronaldinho 98 with International Superstar Soccer Deluxe.

There is a reported issue with Monster World IV's audio. This is one of those problems I didn't think extended that far, but it kind of ruins the gameplay experience. This could be an emulator issue and not something that can easily be fixed.

A reported issue with Cannon Fodder's color palette as you start progressing is also not an issue I can fix. None of the settings in-emulator make a difference for this one.

I've tested Phantasy Star IV many times as it's been frequently reported. As Ian and TapamN have mentioned before, this is an issue with the GD-ROM drive not being able to load the ROM into memory fast enough, it's that "watch dog" they keep mentioning. Most of the v4 Gens4all releases have been in an attempt to address this issue, but it sounds like it's still not been fixed. This is also an emulator issue, but it's partially a media issue too. Phantasy Star IV loads without any issues on my GDemu, and has been reported to work successfully over serial through both the Dreamshell and command-line serial.
So to iterate, Phantasy Star IV is not guaranteed to work when played from a CD. There may be a few other games with this issue, but PSIV is the most common one reported.

Per requests, I need to add Snow Bros and Darius Extra Version as well, and may also explore the Famicom conversions. I suppose I'll also explore the romhacks again, see if there's any new improvements to be had. No plans for new Sonic hacks, not until SHC2022 this year, so an RC4 would be pending in October ;)

Any other suggestions and recommendations from the community?

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Re: Must have GENESIS emulator download (GENS4GOOD) - Updated to ver. 4.3 (01-24-2022)

Post#82 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:45 pm

Spansuls wrote:Hello, how do you save games? When I hit save sram it says "nothing to save" Thanks!!!

There is no savestate support with Gens4all. It only supports SRAM backup, which relies on each game's respective capability. Sonic 2, for example, features no SRAM, while Sonic 3 DOES feature SRAM. The menu informs you if it detects changes to the SRAM and will give you the opportunity to store the SRAM save to your VMU.

MondoGecko
minority

Post#83 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:52 pm

I like this emulator and I've had a lot of fun with it, but Beavis & Butt-Head seems to display incorrectly, or something. It's pillar boxed on both sides. I've not tested these games extensively or anything, but everything else I've tried seems to display fine.

js100serch
shadow

Post#84 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:38 am

How do I play games?. How does this work?.

EDIT: I found some games, but there are like 20 games here. Where are the rest?. The post says it has all the games described on the txt file.

By the way Vectorman 1 and streets of rage 2 won't work. Pushing the analog stick up won't show any menu and pressing Y on the title menu won't do anything, which is supposed to run the games at 240p?.

Am I doing something wrong?.

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Post#85 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:24 am

js100serch wrote:How do I play games?. How does this work?.

EDIT: I found some games, but there are like 20 games here. Where are the rest?. The post says it has all the games described on the txt file.

You're working with an old or corrupted version of Gens Smash Pack. I'd suggest trying it again.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=15261

For the version with the proper massive amount of games, you want Gens4Dreams salvo 2 here. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15226

TapamN
letterbomb

Post#86 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:59 pm

MondoGecko wrote:I like this emulator and I've had a lot of fun with it, but Beavis & Butt-Head seems to display incorrectly, or something. It's pillar boxed on both sides. I've not tested these games extensively or anything, but everything else I've tried seems to display fine.

That uses a 256x224 resolution instead of 320x224. Getting it to stretch to full screen without looking terrible isn't possible with the normal KOS PVR driver, so for now there's borders. Other games use that resolution, too.

Kbackman427
shadow

Post#87 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:40 pm

If and when you guys decide do the RC4 update. You may want to look into getting that new Final Fight Genesis port on the RC4 release if possible and out by then. For those that do not know there is a new Final Fight 1 game being ported to the Megadrive by fans. Not the Sega CD version that you have seen before. Also there are fans working on a new Sunset Riders that is closer to the arcade version with better colors, animation, Sound and all stages and missing content as I understand will be in there. These would be great new games to add to the Dreamcast RC4 update if it is possible.

There is also a translated version of the Jap ver of Bare Knuckle 3 (Streets of rage 3) And also there is a sound driver mod fix for the street fighter Megadrive games that might be a nice to have in there.

I must say it was great to have the New Mortal Kombat Arcade Edition included in RC3. It has all the missing sounds from the arcade and is in my opinion better than the Sega CD version. Plus it doesn't load at the endurance matches or each time Shang Tsung decides to morph into different fighters like Sega CD. Also the Rent a Hero Translation was nice to have in there.

Wonderful work.
Attachments
Final Fight.jpg

NateDawg909
noob

Post#88 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:39 am

Is this better than gens4all?

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#89 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:32 am

Slays it. The only one that actually sounds Genesis and looks fab as well

Cheers to TapamN for his breakthrough fascinating work on this

Punx2511
lithium

Post#90 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:23 pm

Just a heads up micro machines 96 doesn't boot at all