Must have GENESIS emulator download (GENS4GOOD)

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Re: Must have GENESIS emulator download (GENS4GOOD) - Updated to ver. 4.1 (01-12-2022)

Post#61 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:33 pm

SWOS wrote:
you should try direct vga to montor not just a capture..

I tried with my vga directly to my samsung tv using the cd download from your youtube channel - same result - the other 2 Phantasy Star games load but Phantasy Star 4 just hangs on a black screen. I also get the same result if I use my VGA to Hdmi dreamcast cable direct to the tv. I wonder if it might be an issue with my tv rather than the dreamcast o the emulator.

Also has anyone tried to play cannon fodder - on the second mission the map background changes colours as you move through it, its like the palette gets reduced as less and less colours are displayed. I was using a vga cable directly to the tv for that game too.

On a positive note, Zombies Ate my Neighbours works good for me - it is listed on the bad list as missing the hud but I have the scanner so not sure what hud it is referring to.

The emulator is brill and the sound quality is the best I have heard for one running on a dreamcast. Really enjoying trying the games I played as a teenager.

This is because Gens4Good was made in October and is outdated. I maintain Gens4Dreams now, which has 650+ games including ZAMN. I am keeping a close eye on that thread and the new updated Google Doc in that post.

Latest release features several QoL romhacks, Gens4all 4.3, gamelist implementation for improvements to rendering in a number of games, and is now available in both CDI and ISO formats.

MoeFoh wrote:
Sax20 wrote:Snow Bros. (Megadrive / genesis version) is a good game for the compilation. Just an idea!

Maybe it's in Wedge's latest release?
viewtopic.php?p=161139#p161126

That one is not, but I will look into it for RC 3. Please continue suggesting games, and please keep TESTING existing games so that I can confirm and add settings where needed in the gamelist. I wanna make Gens4Dreams a drop-in-and-enjoy solution without too much extra tinkering.

vampkaze
noob

Re: Must have GENESIS emulator download (GENS4GOOD) - Updated to ver. 4.3 (01-24-2022)

Post#62 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:00 pm

GENS4GOOD is awesome, games that have never been played before will all run perfectly!
Is it possible to boot standalone games on GENS4GOOD?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Must have GENESIS emulator download (GENS4GOOD) - Updated to ver. 4.3 (01-24-2022)

Post#63 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:46 am

What about adding all of those awesome reverse engineered NES ported games to Genesis?

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#64 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:50 am

Anthony817 wrote:What about adding all of those awesome reverse engineered NES ported games to Genesis?

Haha, bin is only 65k - those were the days!

https://archive.org/details/smb4md_201910
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

buckets
shadow

Post#65 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:35 pm

Thank you so much for this! Getting back into DC and this is amazing. Been playing Road Rash all week.

Clessy
shadow

Post#66 » Wed May 04, 2022 7:31 pm

So I just downloaded a pre compiled version of this and tested it out on my tv. I've got a HD crt and I have to say the picture quality over svideo is extremly blurry and not sharp at all. Its like its forced into 240p and then the tv has to scale it instead of a native 480i. How does one get to the menu option settings? I feel like im jammed every button.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#67 » Wed May 04, 2022 8:03 pm

Clessy wrote:So I just downloaded a pre compiled version of this and tested it out on my tv. I've got a HD crt and I have to say the picture quality over svideo is extremly blurry and not sharp at all. Its like its forced into 240p and then the tv has to scale it instead of a native 480i. How does one get to the menu option settings? I feel like im jammed every button.

Use vga

Clessy
shadow

Post#68 » Wed May 04, 2022 8:21 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:
Clessy wrote:So I just downloaded a pre compiled version of this and tested it out on my tv. I've got a HD crt and I have to say the picture quality over svideo is extremly blurry and not sharp at all. Its like its forced into 240p and then the tv has to scale it instead of a native 480i. How does one get to the menu option settings? I feel like im jammed every button.

Use vga

Thats a useless response. Its a crt. You also didnt mention anything about getting to a menu so you kinda went out of your way to give a suggestion that doesnt make sense as is not a monitor.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#69 » Wed May 04, 2022 9:43 pm

Clessy wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:

Use vga

Thats a useless response. Its a crt. You also didnt mention anything about getting to a menu so you kinda went out of your way to give a suggestion that doesnt make sense as is not a monitor.

Why are you using rca leads

TapamN wrote:After seeing some of what was going on in the Gens4Dreams thread, I ended up making another small update. Here are the changes:
  • Non-interlaced 240p mode added. I think that on NTSC, ideally, the Dreamcast's interlace mode would match the Genesis's (with an option to force interlaced for displays that don't handle non-interlaced well), but that's more work than I want to do now. I looked at what the 240p Test Suite did when setting the video mode, and tried to replicate it. I haven't actually tested this out on a real TV, so it's off by default. To enable 240p, press Y on the title screen before pressing Start. Interlacing is still enabled in the loader.
  • Button map display. Press Y on the controls menu to show the button mappings for the highlighted layout.

The rest of the chances are improvments to the game list feature:

• Precompiled Windows game list compiler included in src/glparse. I don't use Windows, but I was able to cross-compile with MinGW.
  • Larger game lists are supported. The maximum size of a game list file was originally 100 KB bytes, with 1000 entries. These limits have been raised by 75%.
  • Better handling of non-game entries. Pressing A on an entry with no ROM files specified before would cause the loader to try to load a non existent game (which would cause the screen to flicker). Now entries without a ROM file do nothing when A is pressed. So you can add messages to a list like this:

Code: Select all

Game: This is a message
    Game: Nothing happens if you press A
    Game:
    Game: You can add blank lines
    Game:
    Game: Altered Beast (This actually loads a game)
    Rom: abeast.bin
  • Links that allow switching between game lists have been added, so it's possible to separate official games, hacks, and homebrew titles or stuff like that. You can add a link with a entry using this format:

Code: Select all

Game: [[Go to hacks]]
    Rom: hackgamelist.bin
    Switcher

The brackets in the "game" title aren't necessary, but currently the loader doesn't do anything to make the link stand out on it's own, so you'll have to make it clear that it does something. There's no way to automatically go back a list, you'll have to add a link that goes back.
  • Added support for a "!" section to the game list index when using the "Letter:" command. It's intended to be used to jump to links to other game lists.
  • It's possible to specify line scroll emulation with "Scroll:" entries. Possible settings are line (default), line_a4, line_b4, cell, cell_a4, cell_b4. They match up to the settings in the in-game video menu.
  • It's possible to disable shadow emulation with the option "Shadows: off"
The template generator of the game list compiler doesn't support ZIP files. That's more work than I wanted to do, so you'd have to have it run on the BIN files, compress the BIN files into ZIP files with the same name, then do a search and replace on the game list source file to replace .bin with .zip.

Also, the "data" directory in the 7z file doesn't need to be included on a disc, it's only used when compiling Gens4All. The stuff in there gets inserted directly into the 1ST_READ.

Maybe read thru the topic stop being insulting like you always have been this has been made for 240p 480 p and is sharp and clear.. Us dev's most of dont use crt's any more sorry bud

Clessy
shadow

Post#70 » Sun May 08, 2022 2:32 pm

Im not using rca im using svideo and im using svideo because its a crt. Most crts dont support a progressive signal and hd crt dont support progressive 240 they support 480p/i. VGA isnt a option on most crts either unless they're computer monitors and i'd just use a pc emulator if I was going that route.