Dreamcast Emulator

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Dnelson910
noob

Dreamcast Emulator

Post#1 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:14 pm

I’m a little(very) late to the party when it comes to turning old consoles into emulators. I recently get my hands on a Dreamcast and wanted to throw some emulators on it and was wondering what the process is. Has there been any progress made in being able to put Sega CD games on a Dreamcast. At the core of what I’m trying to do is, play Dune for the Sega Cd on my Dreamcast. Is this possible and what would I need to do to my Dreamcast to make this happen?

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Re: Dreamcast Emulator

Post#2 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:54 pm

That's impossible. The Sega CD adds a second CPU that you have to emulate, and the DC only has one CPU with one (pretty slow) core. You can emulate Genesis and SNES with tolerable results, but Sega CD and 32X will never work. AFAIK even regular Genesis games don't get full speed with proper sound.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#3 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:55 pm

Will not be able to do the sega cd version but the amiga version of which the sega cd version is based on can run on the amiga emulator..

Dnelson910
noob

Post#4 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:03 am

Aside from the Amiga, are there any other systems that would run a Sega cd emulator properly?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#5 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:13 am

Dnelson910 wrote:Aside from the Amiga, are there any other systems that would run a Sega cd emulator properly?

modded wii softmodded with genesis plus gx plays sega cd perfect

the amiga version of that game has the better grafix btw.. If you want play it using a dreamcast that be it..

Many other consoles a wii a OG xbox etc..

Emulators need raw clock speed not 3d power of the dreamcast so your left with 200mhz

As stated there's no genesis emulator for dreamcast that plays it 100% so adding sega cd on top would be a big task.. Unlikely you will ever see it