PBA
PSOv2
Planet Ring
SEGA Swirl
Worms World Party

DOSBox for Dreamcast

Post by Nz17 »

How is DOSBox ver. 0.60 for Dreamcast?

Here are mirrored copies of the source code and executable binaries for DOSBox for Dreamcast which are available for download at the Internet Archive.

Does it run well? I don't have the hardware handy to try burning a CD-R to try it today. Does it run quickly on the DC with lots of frames-per-second? Does this port of DOSBox have standard Dreamcast controller support or only keyboard (and mouse) support? Which DOS games work well with it?

Would anyone here who has the skills be interested in porting the newer DOSBox 0.74-3 to Dreamcast?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: DOSBox for Dreamcast

Post by Ian Micheal »

Yes been doing that.. no it dont run anything over a 286 with 2 mhz to 8 mhz and then very slow
I have got a better build that runs some games old at a playa-ble level with a menu selector not releasing it as it's not finished..

Cycle perfect emulator so everything is cpu based so think of a slow p1 200mhz more like 166mhz trying to run dosbox mixing all sound with the cpu at the same time

kremiso
Rank 9

Post by kremiso »

Doing attempts you can make run Commander Keen and similar extremely old games at decent frame/rate, nothing more
as Ian said, the perfect cycle cut his legs :(

the dreamcast controller... sometimes need to be reconfigured, but normally works

marchegiano
Quad Damage
Dreamcast Games you play Online: none yet, didn't realize this was around. Figuring it all out, but I still have my DC and games.

Post by marchegiano »

Ian Micheal wrote:Yes been doing that.. no it dont run anything over a 286 with 2 mhz to 8 mhz and then very slow
I have got a better build that runs some games old at a playa-ble level with a menu selector not releasing it as it's not finished..

Cycle perfect emulator so everything is cpu based so think of a slow p1 200mhz more like 166mhz trying to run dosbox mixing all sound with the cpu at the same time

Do you reckon it is safe to assume the Piko Interactive / JoshProd ports are just not very good port then?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

Really depends paying for normal homebrew with a pressed cdrom MiLCD and cover .. Or if they want to play that game might be the only way to play it..

Main thing your paying for is the cd case and pressing of the game..