Unreleased update Atari7800 Emulator Fixed update Fullromset

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ian Micheal
Developer

Unreleased update Atari7800 Emulator Fixed update Fullromset

Post#1 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:56 pm

Hi, this was an emulator I released back in 2003 this is an unreleased updated fixed version, almost all games work near fullspeed with good sound there is a big but, not all but thats why there is the config GUI menu. Some games you will have to change sample rate audio throttle cpu underclocking there is a number of settings to get near fullspeed or close to it most of the time, it really varys what game you play. Big example you want clean nice sound change it to 22kh not 17kh or 44kh you can change all that, example audio throttle on will keep the audio clean, turn it off it will run overspeed but dirty audio.

Well i recoved this version from my old dev here it is so its released now this had all the updates from the pc mess 7800 driver that my old released version does not. In a way this is new old stock. The released version only loaded a few games. now at the time i did not know i released the wrong version 15 years ago, i got no feedback till i seen a post were someone had said i cant get this to work.

cOcOoO wrote:Again, the tittle is self-explanatory... if anyone manages to play a game, let me know because i couldn't :(

Well it does now thanks for telling me
Best setting for most games to bring it to fullspeed or close no frameskip
================================================================
Fullspeed on most games
To speed all games up no frameskip
Audio thread 3
display mode 3 (3 is the fastest)
CPU slices 1
Colour mode (4 is the fastest) colours maybe not correct level default for correct colours
set CPU0 to 80 / 85

you can use frameskip if you wish

Games that just dont work on mess atari7800 PC version that is ported
===============================================================
Double dragon
Kung fu master ? bad dump
F18 hornet
Impossible misson ?bad dumps i have 3 on there all 3 crash if you press start
===========================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================
Link to selfboot CDI https://mega.nz/#!vnYVBCAY!BG-dfw3InzdH ... N5GSnL0A1U
This was Based off the ported m.e.s.s. by ice88 And compiled and Optmized by me.
How to use
THIS IS MOST IMPORTAIN PLEASE READ

Code: Select all

Controls Dont not press (A) or (X) or (Y) On the boot gui that changes framskip sample size video modes  I will explain how to use this below
This Configs the whole emulator on the fly no need to write config files If you press (A) it goes down on the settings Press (Y) it goes up on the settings Press Left or right on the (DPAD) cycles all settings that you selected example frameskip, samplerate, etc there are 18 settings that can be changed if you cant get a game running like you want also change pal ntsc games video modes etc. YOU DONT HAVE TO TOUCH this so dont.

Games that just dont work on mess atari7800 PC version that is ported
===============================================================
Double dragon
Kung fu master ? bad dump
F18 hornet
Impossible misson ?bad dumps i have 3 on there all 3 crash if you press start
On the GUI you should never be pressing (A) or (X) or (Y) to play games or select roms

Here is how to just play games
Hightlight cd and press (B) scroll to find were you placed you roms.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
selectcd.png

Scroll to find were you placed you roms.
selectrom1.png

Select NTSC ROMS Pressing (B)
selectrom2.png

Press (B) to select the rom then press (START) to load the game selected.
Selectgame.png

When the game loads it will take you to this screen just press left right
PressLR.png

The game loads ready to play
gameload.png

To get back to the menu Press(A) hold it down then press (START) . that covers it. wait 5 10 secs for it to go back to the main gui. to select more roms games to play.

to access the mess menu press (START&DOWN). you dont need to but its there to play with. A real dreamcast keyboard will work as well
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:07 am, edited 9 times in total.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: unreleased update Atari7800 Emulator Fixed update Fullromset

Post#2 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:08 pm

The Atari 7800 was the first console I had growing up as a wee little lad here in Texas in the mid 80's. My very first gaming memories were being 3 years old in 1987 playing Joust and Pole Position on a little Black and White TV! Damn, feels like a lifetime ago!

I still have her to this day! I saved her from my mothers storage unit on the other side of town. Unfortunately I don't have the cables to it, or any controllers or games, but someday I will get everything for it and revive it. It literally hasn't been powered on since the late 80's or early 90's, so at this point not sure if it still works. I will give this updated emu a go! Thanks a lot for helping too relive my earliest childhood memories from the dark ages!

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: unreleased update Atari7800 Emulator Fixed update Fullromset

Post#3 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:27 pm

Anthony817 wrote:The Atari 7800 was the first console I had growing up as a wee little lad here in Texas in the mid 80's. My very first gaming memories were being 3 years old in 1987 playing Joust and Pole Position on a little Black and White TV! Damn, feels like a lifetime ago!

I still have her to this day! I saved her from my mothers storage unit on the other side of town. Unfortunately I don't have the cables to it, or any controllers or games, but someday I will get everything for it and revive it. It literally hasn't been powered on since the late 80's or early 90's, so at this point not sure if it still works. I will give this updated emu a go! Thanks a lot for helping too relive my earliest childhood memories from the dark ages!

Your welcome i had one when in 1988 i loved it .. To get near perfect sound in pole Postion II you need to change the sample rate press (A) that will step the config to audio then press left right thru to 0 and back to get to 44kh just press left on the dpad to cycle thru till it says 44100
Then press (B) to get to cd roms then the game. I know it's a little clunky but at the time it stops having to reburn and write a config for each game.

Example
pole1.png

then load the game speed is not a problem on most games
pole2.png

Shows framerate when you exit back to menu

pole3.png

Hope you enjoy i had to dig a long time to find this old thing was on my old dev laptop. lol it's not the one people had on tiz or on my old site.
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Unreleased update Atari7800 Emulator Fixed update Fullromset

Post#4 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:32 pm

Thanks for the tip! Any idea on the settings to use on Ikari Warriors NTSC-U? It feels like it is running a bit on the slow side once in game.

I loved this game as a kid!

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#5 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:43 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Thanks for the tip! Any idea on the settings to use on Ikari Warriors NTSC-U? It feels like it is running a bit on the slow side once in game.

Yes for fullspeed Audio throttle off display mode 0 colour mode 1 it might be to fast. You can try that Frameskip is set to zero i dont like framskip you can put frameskip to 1 but i like smooth..

I can post pictures how to do this if needed there is a lot of settings and video driver modes that are faster slower same with the sound. pretty overwhelming if you dont know what they do.. I should write out what ever mode does.

If you wanted easy just press(A) till you get to frameskip press left or right set it to 1 then try the game. other options do take a lot of trial and error. or you can use a real dc keyboard and use pc mess controls for frameskip and others in game.

Remember i only have redream and nulldc and riecast to do testing .. im going by memory how it played on my pal dreamcast

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#6 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:10 pm

For Ikari Warriors NTSC-U? audio throttle off video throttle on Framskip 1 or 2 seems to be near normal speed. Some games are more demanding .. You can try that

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:18 pm

Awesome thanks. Yeah it seems to be one of the more demanding one with a lot of stuff on screen at once, especially with tons of moving enemies.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#8 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:41 am

Yeah might have to test more.. I found this whole video on 7800 homebrew games. Im going to test them on the emulator and see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaSdPXQW1MU
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#9 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:33 am

Anthony817 wrote:Thanks for the tip! Any idea on the settings to use on Ikari Warriors NTSC-U? It feels like it is running a bit on the slow side once in game.

First off if you dont want to mess about with all this
you can just do this in the GUI BOOT menu
Frameskip 2
cpu slice 1
underclock 80% CPU0 80
you can try that in the GUI boot menu but it crashes sometimes .

A hack for Anthony817 for Ikari warriors
So i found this work around below :)
-------------------------------------------------------------
In the gui bootmenu do this
First CPU Slices 1
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heres how to really speed it up I tryed every thing
You need to use the mess PC menu inside once the game is loaded

In game menu
You can Adjust this in Input (general) assigned a button combo for - or + frameskip that way you can see speed up or down to what you like on the fly with out to much notice.

Here is the hack work around for most games

Once in game press hold (START) press (DPAD DOWN) Turn you sound to mute on your tv before you do this you will see why
Press (A) Input (general)
IKWStart.png

On Screen Display it says none press (A) then press (Y) that defines (Y)
IKWStartinput.png

(Y) show the onscreen menu
Were you can underclock the cpu on the fly You have to do this because it will crash if you start it under100 from the main gui
IKWStartinputY.png

Now to get out of this menu Just hold (START) and press(DOWN On the DPAD)
Press (Y) it bring up the onscreen menu Press (DPAD UP or DOWN till you get to Overclock CPU0)
IKWSunderclock.png

Move it LEFT or RIGHT on the (DPAD) move it down to when it starts to speed up 80%/85% you can see it speed up at 80% you can go more just move it up till it slows then down to it speed up to find the sweet spot. the game does not use all the cpu 100% all the time but the way they coded it makes it ask for 100% cpu speed all the time.
IKWSunderclock.85png.png

This geting around the game bios check hope you enjoy this can also be done on all other games.

Once you know the good underclock on games you can set it first in the GUI boot menu. I have not included how but this can have a config for each game on the cd it's a bit to much for now.