Converting exe to cdi

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Roareye
Rank 9

Converting exe to cdi

Post#1 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:14 am

This may be a total n00b question but I've been somewhat inspired by this forum and it's hard working community.

I've seen Shuouma is converting a PC game to DC (Quakeworld) and this has happened before with Unreal Tournament, Doom and tests have been done on Duke Nukem 3D.

I want to try and convert a simpler 2D title that is designed for Windows to the DC. My knowledge is zero but as I'm off work with a broken leg I have time on my side to learn.
If there is a guide you guys can link to the basics that would be great, or if there's a somewhat straightforward conversion technique, that'd be great too.

Any literature, be it a simple link or a detailed post here, would be useful. I'm itching to give back to this community and just need giving a start. I'm surprisingly dedicated when I set my mind to things (I ran the Summer of Sonic conventions for SEGA Europe for a few years voluntarily afterall) so I promise any help wouldn't be a waste of your time.

BlueCrab
Developer

Re: Converting exe to cdi

Post#2 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:02 am

You can't just convert a Windows-based game to run on the Dreamcast without the source code of the game (and a working knowledge of programming).

Even with the source code, unless the game is written in a language such as C or C++ that can be straightforwardly ported to the Dreamcast (or it's written for an engine that has already been ported), you're going to end up having to rewrite the code from the ground up, likely.