3DO Emulator?

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: 3DO Emulator?

Post#11 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:49 pm

Prukogui wrote:Possibly I say a stupid thing from the ignorance, but the Raspberry pi 4 of 4Gb can emulate the 3rd (RetroPie / lr-opera) and it works quite well. I haven't tried it much, but I can say that games like Dr. Hauzer suffer from slowdowns but others like Dragon's Lair, Strahl or Space Hulk work really well. And I don't think the Dreamcast has much less power than a Raspberry pi 4.

Hahaha do what? You don't THINK? Well let me break it down for you.

Dreamcast has:
CPU Hitachi SH-4 RISC (128-bit) at 200 Mhz
Memory 16 Mb RAM
GPU 100 MHz PowerVR2 8MB VRAM

Pi 4 4gb has:
CPU Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
Memory 2GB, 4GB or 8GB LPDDR4-3200 SDRAM
GPU Broadcom VideoCore VI

No way in hell is that even comparable. You need to pass me some of what you are smoking if you think a Pi 4 is anywhere near close to the specs of a 1998 console. More like PS3 or 360 spec wise, minus the Ram.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#12 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:05 pm

Prukogui wrote:Possibly I say a stupid thing from the ignorance, but the Raspberry pi 4 of 4Gb can emulate the 3rd (RetroPie / lr-opera) and it works quite well. I haven't tried it much, but I can say that games like Dr. Hauzer suffer from slowdowns but others like Dragon's Lair, Strahl or Space Hulk work really well. And I don't think the Dreamcast has much less power than a Raspberry pi 4.

Lol it's about 4 times more powerful or more then a dreamcast lol it would whip the dreamcast in about every stat

Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
2GB, 4GB or 8GB LPDDR4-3200 SDRAM (depending on model)
2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE
Gigabit Ethernet
2 USB 3.0 ports; 2 USB 2.0 ports.
Raspberry Pi standard 40 pin GPIO header (fully backwards compatible with previous boards)
2 × micro-HDMI ports (up to 4kp60 supported)
2-lane MIPI DSI display port
2-lane MIPI CSI camera port
4-pole stereo audio and composite video port
H.265 (4kp60 decode), H264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode)
OpenGL ES 3.1, Vulkan 1.0
Micro-SD card slot for loading operating system and data storage
5V DC via USB-C connector (minimum 3A*)
5V DC via GPIO header (minimum 3A*)
Power over Ethernet (PoE) enabled (requires separate PoE HAT)
Operating temperature: 0 – 50 degrees C ambient

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#13 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:08 pm

Anthony817 wrote:

Hahaha do what? You don't THINK? Well let me break it down for you.

Dreamcast has:
CPU Hitachi SH-4 RISC (128-bit) at 200 Mhz
Memory 16 Mb RAM
GPU 100 MHz PowerVR2 8MB VRAM

Pi 4 4gb has:
CPU Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
Memory 2GB, 4GB or 8GB LPDDR4-3200 SDRAM
GPU Broadcom VideoCore VI

No way in hell is that even comparable. You need to pass me some of what you are smoking if you think a Pi 4 is anywhere near close to the specs of a 1998 console. More like PS3 or 360 spec wise, minus the Ram.

Amazing how powerful people thing the embedded sat nav based cpu shoved in console is lol

Prukogui
lithium

Post#14 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:39 pm

OK OK. I see that the Raspberry is more powerful than I thought. It surprises me for € 30 ...

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#15 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:21 pm

The DC architecture is still a thing of beauty over 20 years later. Perfect? No, but the SH4 and PowerVR combo was bang for buck a great platform. Some will point out the weakness of not being a dvd system but if I could change just one thing - another 16mb of ram would have been incredible. 32mb of ram together with the vram makes the system with a few tricks and customised compromises / optimisations every bit as capable as the PS2 or a pretty solid pc rig back in the day.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#16 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:35 pm

Exactly, if only they had been more forward thinking and included double the ram but it would have undoubtedly increased the price to consumers. Homebrew also could have gone much further with it. The weakest link keeping the DC from running many older open sourced PC ports is such little memory to work with. You could still do a lot with the 200mhz CPU if it had more ram on board the system.

For example, those Windows CE ports would have run a lot smoother with less overhead being used up by the actual OS. Half-Life would have run full speed as well as other lackluster PC ported games.

Hummer
noob

Post#17 » Thu May 04, 2023 8:40 am

Hi to all did someone here is using FreeDO Emulator for 3DO Games, I'm not impressed by the emulator and would help if someone suggest a new emulator that can support that type of game in 2023. I read here for Panasonic 3DO FZ-10 and I will try to download it if it's an emulator and would appreciate it if someone else suggested something good.
Last edited by Hummer on Fri May 05, 2023 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xiden
Developer

Post#18 » Thu May 04, 2023 9:24 am

4DO is a pretty good emulator in my opinion to try. Probably the best option at the moment.

Hummer
noob

Post#19 » Fri May 05, 2023 7:11 am

Are there any other options that the same games to be played online without installing the emulator on pc? My pc is very slow and don't know how much will be effective installing or downloading any kind of emulator or game on it.

SAKURARadiochan
shadow

Post#20 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:30 am

This is impossible to say the least.

It *may* be possible to play the 3DO Zork FMV game via ScummVM.