The Dolmexica Engine [Moddable 2D Fighter]

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

dreamcast-news
Prince of Persia

Re: The Dolmexica Engine [Moddable 2D Fighter]

Post#121 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:10 am

Thanks Captain, newsed for french user : http://dreamcast-news.blogspot.fr/2012/ ... e-101.html
- Dev - Hacks - Homebrews - Games - Demos -

Dark Hayabusa
shadow

Post#122 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:50 pm

Good! Let me introduce myself, I'm Dark Hayabusa and a few years ago a friend left me at my house OpenBOR and started to develop my game Beat 'em Up (Angel-0) and it was an interesting idea but a lot of work so that some of the who helped me at the time got bored and therefore I was alone with his development which was way too slow but good.
the point is that over time the upgrade OpenBOR ran out about optimization for better support video mode and resolution so I ran out to continue the project as I run out of resources that is then executed about 50 fps a minimum due to the level of resources in terms of effects of light, reflection and number of entities. So I was thinking seriously about sum it all and take it to a fighting game 1-1 to get the work accomplished and not lose it.
The subject is presented with this opportunity Dolmexica engine but not to start! I downloaded the files but not to do with them only see a DOS screen that closes in seconds, if you need help to develop my game :(
Thanks in advance for any information about it. And by the way I leave a link to a video of my game if somewhat old: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQuzw0MufjM
Attachments
careful about going over the yellow line.gif
careful about going over the yellow line.gif (358.32 KiB) Viewed 47214 times
Waiting for the subway to keep kicking ass!.gif
Waiting for the subway to keep kicking ass!.gif (300.23 KiB) Viewed 47214 times
santiagodechile.jpg

Maturion
rebel

Post#123 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:12 am

That's so amazing, fuck yeah!

I also news'ed it over at SEGA-DC.DE: http://www.sega-dc.de/news/2012/09/dolm ... ion-1-0-1/
http://www.sega-dc.de - The home of Dreamcast (in German)

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#124 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:46 pm

Wow the sprites/artwork looks pretty good. Are these 3D models that you posed and then made sprites of?

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#125 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:03 pm

Looks like. It reminds of rumble fish or tvc.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

Dark Hayabusa
shadow

Post#126 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:22 pm

dark wrote:Wow the sprites/artwork looks pretty good. Are these 3D models that you posed and then made sprites of?
If! Precisely the overall design of the sets and characters were done in 3D.
And the soundtrack is Grim (Chilean group of trash progresive speed power) according to the singer :lol:
http://www.myspace.com/grim2007chile
http://www.facebook.com/groups/33362450147/
Attachments
Angel-0 BIOLAB SCAPE.png
pose.png

Captain Dreamcast
Developer

Post#127 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:46 pm

dreamcast-news wrote:Thanks Captain, newsed for french user : http://dreamcast-news.blogspot.fr/2012/ ... e-101.html

Merci pour la newsification! :mrgreen:

Maturion wrote:That's so amazing, fuck yeah!

I also news'ed it over at SEGA-DC.DE: http://www.sega-dc.de/news/2012/09/dolm ... ion-1-0-1/

Auch dir danke für die Newspost, ich hoffe dass das Posten dich nicht von der Programmiererei an etwas super-coolen abgehalten hat! ;)

Dark Hayabusa wrote:Good! Let me introduce myself, I'm Dark Hayabusa and a few years ago a friend left me at my house OpenBOR and started to develop my game Beat 'em Up (Angel-0) and it was an interesting idea but a lot of work so that some of the who helped me at the time got bored and therefore I was alone with his development which was way too slow but good.
the point is that over time the upgrade OpenBOR ran out about optimization for better support video mode and resolution so I ran out to continue the project as I run out of resources that is then executed about 50 fps a minimum due to the level of resources in terms of effects of light, reflection and number of entities. So I was thinking seriously about sum it all and take it to a fighting game 1-1 to get the work accomplished and not lose it.
The subject is presented with this opportunity Dolmexica engine but not to start! I downloaded the files but not to do with them only see a DOS screen that closes in seconds, if you need help to develop my game :(
Thanks in advance for any information about it. And by the way I leave a link to a video of my game if somewhat old: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQuzw0MufjM

This looks amazing, the sprites, the stages, the effects and all the little details, it looks like you put a lot of work into it. The best part of it is how it all blends together. Great work! :)

However, before you get started with remodeling everything to accommodate it to this engine, I must warn you that if your mod has reached OpenBOR's limits, it is probably already far beyond anything the D-Engine can handle. Looking at the video and the screenshots, I can already tell you some things that do not work:
  • Blood.
  • Trains running in the background.
  • Powerups, like some sort of power form that lasts only a few seconds. (If that is what the MODE below the health bar means!)
  • Cool action lines in the background.
  • The Combo Counter (Good combos are relatively hard to implement, too).
  • Lighting effects, including reflection.
The characters and stages look like they should fit. As long as the characters are smaller than 256x256 pixels, that is not a problem. Although the fact that they would need a 255-color palette would probably not look that good on these rotoscoped sprites... :?

About your question regarding the tools: They have to be used from a command prompt. If you're under Windows, go to Start->Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt, which will open a black DOS-esque window. Now you have to use the chdir command to go the folder the Dolmexica tools are located in. If they were in the folder "C:\DOLMEXICA\TOOLS", you would have to use:

Code: Select all

chdir C:\DOLMEXICA\TOOLS

Then you can open the tools by typing the executable name in the command prompt. You also have to take care of the options this particular tool uses, those can be found at the respective guide, here. That way, you will also be able to see the output of the program in the command prompt. :D

Did that help?
For Great Justice!

Dark Hayabusa
shadow

Post#128 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:15 pm

Captain Dreamcast wrote:This looks amazing, the sprites, the stages, the effects and all the little details, it looks like you put a lot of work into it. The best part of it is how it all blends together. Great work! :)

However, before you get started with remodeling everything to accommodate it to this engine, I must warn you that if your mod has reached OpenBOR's limits, it is probably already far beyond anything the D-Engine can handle. Looking at the video and the screenshots, I can already tell you some things that do not work:
  • Blood.
  • Trains running in the background.
  • Powerups, like some sort of power form that lasts only a few seconds. (If that is what the MODE below the health bar means!)
  • Cool action lines in the background.
  • The Combo Counter (Good combos are relatively hard to implement, too).
  • Lighting effects, including reflection.
The characters and stages look like they should fit. As long as the characters are smaller than 256x256 pixels, that is not a problem. Although the fact that they would need a 255-color palette would probably not look that good on these rotoscoped sprites... :?

About your question regarding the tools: They have to be used from a command prompt. If you're under Windows, go to Start->Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt, which will open a black DOS-esque window. Now you have to use the chdir command to go the folder the Dolmexica tools are located in. If they were in the folder "C:\DOLMEXICA\TOOLS", you would have to use:

Code: Select all

chdir C:\DOLMEXICA\TOOLS

Then you can open the tools by typing the executable name in the command prompt. You also have to take care of the options this particular tool uses, those can be found at the respective guide, here. That way, you will also be able to see the output of the program in the command prompt. :D

Did that help?
thank you! For the quick reply, I'll give some time this weekend to try to see them :D

jun misugi
shadow

Post#129 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:38 pm

any news ? :)

SeongGino
noob

Post#130 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:57 am

Ok... I think its time to... Well cover my arse.

Its me, SeongGino/That guy with way too many alias names and fan of P4. It has been so long since I was here, and am kinda saddened that no new posts have been made by you Captain. Lots of things changed.

> I graduated and moved on to high school... Then left it months later. The reason why? To sum it up, it was hellish. Thankfully because of this not only am I off on mondays now, but I also have pretty much the majority of the day to work on stuff, mainly my old project for this awesome engine.

> I have my own laptop and my own workspace thing now, meaning more privacy... And I get to play more Dreamcast plus chat at the same time now! hooray. Bad news here though is I have lost everything realted to Dolmexica on the old laptop, since I, like you, distanced myself from the game to do other stuff.

BUT, despite this, I have my priorities (if you can call them that) straight: Dolmexi-Brawl is still going on. Despite nuking the old project, I am not afraid to rip one million more sprites just for a mod.

Sorry, I am doing all this on my phone at 1 AM midnight (Persistant I know...), but I will post more here and on the other forum. I need you to do something for me though: PLEASE RESPOND TO LET ME KNOW YOUR ALIVE.

SeongGino/ComputerLunarVidGamR/ChieSatonaka... Is back.