The Dolmexica Engine [Moddable 2D Fighter]

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: The Dolmexica Engine [Moddable 2D Fighter]

Post#101 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:10 pm

Good to see you are still working on theis Captain! I haven't been here in quite some time. Still can;t wait to play Street Fighter VS mortal Kombat!

Captain Dreamcast
Developer

Post#102 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:00 pm

Today, which happens to be May 1st in Europe already, is the day I am very proud to present my first release since 2010! Back when it got started about 18 months ago (as an RPG, weird enough :o ), I never would've thought that it would turn out to be this action-packed. Fighters are awesome, so it's no surprise the Dreamcast had dozens of high quality fighters back in the day. And now, with this engine, it's my dream to see that old-school fighting action return to the gaming platform it belongs.

Just look at today's gaming market: It's one of the most well-kept secrets in the gaming business, and Impulse will probably be arrested by the FBI if I share it with you on that site, but the true reason more and more AAA fighters are made these days- is because they were, like, totally influenced by the D-Engine's announcement. (Or Capcom's success with SF4, but that sounds way less likely than the first theory). :mrgreen:

Enough expository jabbering, I present to you, the DOLMEXICA ENGINE!
Well, a moddable engine by itself is little to no fun, so how about the first example mod, the White version:

Image Format: CDI
Compression Format: RAR
Size: 74,7MB

Code: Select all

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qewdlx

This time around, I recommend actually burning it to a disc. Considering the emulator compatibility with the Beta version back then, it's very likely that it does not not work with NullDC and other emulators.

Aside from that, you should not think of this release as another Let's-see-how-bad-thing-can-possibly-get-screwed-up-Beta like the last release. This time around, all bugs have been extinguished. Even though a small one may appear, I am 100% sure that all "gamebreaker" bugs are gone now. In fact, both versions were finished almost a month ago, but kept unreleased for some more testing (Here's one hoping it paid off... :lol: ). The "1.0.0" tag is justified! 8-)

Oh my, did I just say "both versions"? Yup, both the White version above and the way more interesting "Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat" mod are complete. Though neither of them seems to scratch the D-Engine's upper limit, a real pity. :(

Should you feel like hearing more about the D-Engine's capabilities and the guides which deal with creating new content, you MUST check out the D-Engine's homepage! And if that wasn't enough to convince you, it tastes like strawberry if you lick your monitor while browsing the site!! :mrgreen:

Huh? The link of the "Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat" mod? There's a more suitable place than this thread for this special release. :P

EDIT: I have to to use this chance to thank the people who helped finish this game: The Sound Engineer, Ch3atera (more of a Composer, really), who created the White Version's music and SFX. Jenkins, who created some kickass artwork for Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat (Despite the fact that it wasn't used in the final version, primarily because of a lack of communication skills on my side :lol: ), you still earn that special mention in the credits for all the work you put in it. Roel, because without him, the game would run at about 5 frames per second (that's an optimistic guess). And of course Anthony...'s brother. Just kidding man, without you, I think I would have given up on this game. Thank you! :D
*Sniff*, enough sentimentality, time to return to manly 2D fighting manliness now! :mrgreen:

P.S. Tomorrow more about the future of "Dolmexica"! Yay!!
For Great Justice!

dreamcast-news
Prince of Persia

Post#103 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:06 am

!! Thanks Captain Dreamcast !!

Newsed on http://dreamcast-news.blogspot.fr
- Dev - Hacks - Homebrews - Games - Demos -

VasiliyRS
Uber

Post#104 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:07 am

Hell yeah! It eveything looks very smooth in game. Special thanks for 50Hz support - i can play it now and record videos (coming later today). Thank you cptDC!

dreamcast-news
Prince of Persia

Post#105 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:15 am

Excellent Vasiliy. I wait the video.

VasiliyRS
Uber

Post#106 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:37 pm

Here's the video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xC38SV5g0M[/youtube]
More to come.
And a couple suggestions i forgot to say:
difficulty settings
training mode
You know when i play i got some feeling that i have not feeled for some time - hardcore, yes! Thanks for that Captain Dreamcast.

dreamcast-news
Prince of Persia

Post#107 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:43 pm

rooster
photon blast

Post#108 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:41 pm

Captain! You rule!! Thank you for creating this, and putting in the extra effort to provide detailed and entertaining guides too!

Captain Dreamcast
Developer

Post#109 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:25 pm

dreamcast-news wrote:!! Thanks Captain Dreamcast !!

Newsed on http://dreamcast-news.blogspot.fr

Thanks for the news post, you really managed to capture the D-Engine's "spirit" with that article. It's way better structured and less convoluted than my post, incredible! :D

VasiliyRS wrote:More to come.

Thanks a lot for the screenshots and of course especially the video! You even included one of the Johnny Cage interactions, those are my personal favorites. :P

VasiliyRS wrote:And a couple suggestions i forgot to say:
difficulty settings

Yes, the Options in general should be expanded, along with the Scoring system. Since the AI in the Beta was very, VERY weak, I tried to make it as hard as possible this time around. You're right, different difficulty settings are a must, the way things are planned right now, the difficulty will go from 0-100%. In fact, there is already something similar in the source code of the current version, but the difficulty always either made the AI too weak or didn't make a change at all.

VasiliyRS wrote:training mode

Oh, I never thought of that! Sounds like a good addition, especially for a moddable fighter.

VasiliyRS wrote:You know when i play i got some feeling that i have not feeled for some time - hardcore, yes! Thanks for that Captain Dreamcast.

Thank you, that's what I hoped it would feel like! :mrgreen:

rooster wrote:Captain! You rule!! Thank you for creating this, and putting in the extra effort to provide detailed and entertaining guides too!

Y...you actually looked the guides... ! AWESOME! :D
And thanks for those kind words. :)
For Great Justice!

Neohound
Gold Lion

The Dolmexica Engine [Moddable 2D Fighter]

Post#110 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:03 pm

Just to say: It's been a bloody great pleasure following your progress ! Far better than that other famous 'Captain's Log' from a certain 1960's TV Sci-fi show. And well done on releasing it on May Day - very fitting :) Actually, I seem to remember there being a video game entitled May Day ? Whatever, maybe I'll find a pic somewhere and post it later lol