The Dolmexica Engine [Moddable 2D Fighter]

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Br4mb0
rebel

Re: The Dolmexica Engine [Moddable 2D Fighter]

Post#141 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:54 pm

A mugen port? Awesome!!!
I cant wait for more news about this.

I made a sd iso of dolmexica engine with Dream Fight if anyone have interest, get it here:
http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/dre ... mexica-sd/
so is no need to waste a CD-R

Captain Dreamcast
Developer

Post#142 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:17 am

Anthony817 wrote:and don't go missing in action like that for years at a time, you had us worried something bad had happened to you!

W- well, it was only months this time, I'm sorry ;_;

Br4mb0 wrote:I made a sd iso of dolmexica engine with Dream Fight if anyone have interest, get it here:
http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/dre ... mexica-sd/
so is no need to waste a CD-R

This is really cool, thanks! I have no experience with making SD isos, but I'll try making one for the new demo.

So yeah, there's a smol new demo: https://captaindreamcast.itch.io/dolmexica-infinite.

Still has the stuttering, much to my chagrin, but alas. The problem is the realtime compression applied to textures that are being moved between main memory and texture memory. So the plan is to try out some other compression libraries and/or techniques. There are some better techniques for small files, which should improve performance.

Something I didn't talk about in the last post are the display errors. The most apparent one is the lower bit depth in Dolmexica, which results in some noticeably ugly textures, especially visible in the backgrounds. The second problem lies in one of the blending modes. While additive and alpha blending were easy enough to use with KallistiOS, subtractive blending is less straightforward. In the demo, this is visible at the title screen. If you compare the Dreamcast and Windows versions, you'll notice there are some differences. That's because subtractive blending does not work on the Dreamcast yet. Those graphical errors aren't high on the priority list while the game still runs like a garbage fire, but I thought I'd at least talk about them like I did with the other ones.

Overall, progress felt slow these last two months. My goal for the next demo (early may) is to eliminate the runtime errors and implement all state controllers/triggers, so adding custom characters - the whole thing a moddable engine is for - finally works reliably. I'll expect there'll still be some grave issues, so it'll probably be another demo and not a proper release.
For Great Justice!

Green Ranger
fragger

Post#143 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:41 am

I'll be rooting for you! I'd love to see our beloved Dreamcast get a fully working Mugen port. Take your time and continue to keep us posted on your work. :)

KeiDash
undertow

Post#144 » Mon May 07, 2018 5:08 am

Omg, this is an awesome project. Many memories come to my mind when I played with MUGEN engine. it's time to prove it on my Dreamcast!

Only two question.

- Why the sound on Dreamcast not work?
- Exists any list of compatible characters/stages for download it?

Many thanks for publish this project

SireDoime
noob

Post#145 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:46 pm

Wow, seven years and the thread is still alive. I love this community...

I only got here because I was reading old emails from the board and saw two deleted inbox message from Captain Dreamcast..

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#146 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:12 am

Hi , im working on new project and i need this, if any one has the src to svn://emuforge.com/kosports/sdl-1.2.13 .. i really need it i cant seem to get to it....

The link no longer work's .. This was the only post i could find even talking about it

justinbug
shadow

Post#147 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:23 pm

hoping for sound atleast sfx

PhiseJr
drunken sailor

Post#148 » Fri May 15, 2020 7:39 pm

The engine is unstable and Captain Dreamcast said he was going to work on porting mugen or making a mugen on the DC. I was right on board for making a game in this engine aswell. I been looking towards using the Quake engine to do my bidding.
ドリームキャスト Dorīmukyasuto

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#149 » Fri May 15, 2020 8:34 pm

Last active: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:13 am

Well, he is still active on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/captdreamcast?lang=en

beanboy
Wazza

Post#150 » Sat May 16, 2020 2:15 pm