Links for folks wanting to develop on Dreamcast

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

TeamXlink
Rank 9

Re: Links for folks wanting to develop on Dreamcast

Post#21 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:12 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Ok, I thought it would be impossible, but I didn't think about the requirements. I just know that it is a small game, so thought the graphics shouldn't be a problem, but I guess the CPU would be underpowered.

Its probably possible if you made it from scratch on the Dreamcast, I believe its defiantly possible.

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#22 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:58 pm

I think the best idea would be to take open source games and port them to the Dreamcast. Assaultcube would be the best example. At minimum settings it can be played one a PIII and works well with dialup for online use: http://assault.cubers.net/
PS2 Online Gaming

TeamXlink
Rank 9

Post#23 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:17 pm

Favrenation wrote:I think the best idea would be to take open source games and port them to the Dreamcast. Assaultcube would be the best example. At minimum settings it can be played one a PIII and works well with dialup for online use: http://assault.cubers.net/

We can't use standard dial-up KOS doesn't support ppp.

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#24 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:18 pm

I know that maybe someday it will. But the game would still run on DC. Not sure how good but it looks ok
PS2 Online Gaming

TeamXlink
Rank 9

Post#25 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:19 pm

Favrenation wrote:I know that maybe someday it will. But the game would still run on DC. Not sure how good but it looks ok

Yeah, hopefully someday we will have ppp support in KOS, and I'll be fraggin with Quake, maybe even QuakeWorld. :D

voldo83
fire

Post#26 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:05 pm

I have been interessted in programming in C++ and use Code: Blocks as compiler. Anyway. I feel that I want to hook up my Dreamcast to the computer, so the compiler goes from computer to DC and output at the TV-screen. How to do it? Or just how to test things on the dreamcast instead of burn cd´s everytime. Yes, I have the BBA, so I can stream.
Can someone please tell me where to find a tutorial or something? Will just try out "Hello World!" just to know how it works.

Right now I doing a Text-based game, so, should be interessting if that game works on Dreamcast. One more thing, how to use the dreamcasts keyboard?
The game will ask about your name and age and you have to answer questions along the game. The game will be in swedish (sorry), but if the game will be finish and turns out to be good, I may release it like a Open Source, so ppl can translate to other languages.

Anyway. right now I need help with how to setup the things so the Dreamcast output from the compiler.

Thanks.

Captain Dreamcast
Developer

Post#27 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:07 pm

To upload stuff with your BBA you need a special disc called dcload-ip, which can be found here:

Code: Select all

http://www.boob.co.uk/tutorials/guide.html

Despite the rather... weird name, it teaches you everything you need to get the BBA working. :mrgreen:

Now in addition you're gonna need a development library. Unless you want to make your own, you might want to get KallistiOS, arguably the best library around. To get the super-mega-ultra-combo-newest version you should use svn, but if you prefer the "easier" way, there's a disc which sets up everything you need, you can find it here:

Code: Select all

http://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=96802

It modifies Code:Blocks so you can still work with that, but it never really worked for me, so I personally use Makefiles for compiling.

There's a whole load of examples included, ranging from stuff like printing "Hello World!" to using the keyboard.

Good luck with your text adventure game! I hope it gets translated. :D
For Great Justice!

voldo83
fire

Post#28 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:48 pm

Thank you very much, Captain Dreamcast. Will look this up as soon as I have finish my meal.

Yeah, we just need to cross our fingers and hopes the game will be translated :) or finish :)

VasiliyRS
Uber

Post#29 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:26 pm

voldo83 what is your game about ?

voldo83
fire

Post#30 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:32 pm

Vasiliy wrote:voldo83 what is your game about ?

I need to think about limits in the game. At first I wanted the game to be a interactive book, but the book will quickly turns out to be a libery with too many choices, so yeah I need to think about that.
But think something similar to the old dos game Larry with no graphic.