ClassiCube : Supports Online Play [ALPHA BUILD]

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

DreamcastUK
brutal

ClassiCube : Supports Online Play [ALPHA BUILD]

Post#1 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:56 pm

ClassiCube is a free and open source sandbox block game, similar to classic versions of Minecraft.

This game was brought to my attention from Alex (TheSegaGuru)

So how do you get this running on your Sega Dreamcast online, well all you need to visit classicube.net and sign up for an account & Verfiy your ClassiCube email

I have been helping/testing a dev called unknownshadow200 with attempting to get the online experience improved for the Dreamcast online, by using original hardware which includes the Broadband adapter as well as the Dreamcast Modem/DreamPi.

-------------------
UPDATES
-------------------
Update 6th Feb 2024
    - SD card support might work, use at own risk : If using DreamShell / SD Card Reader to upload/install texture files
    - DreamPi/Modem Network issue still on-going

20240205_113636.jpg
DreamPi / Modem tests

Update 5th Feb 2024
    - Latest download should no longer require adjusting RTC in BIOS/Bootup to be able to sign in
    - Mouse support for buttons and camera movement now added (Change sensitivity from 30 to 100 as default)
    - Currently working on DreamPi/Modem fixes
    - Increase mouse sensitivity from 30 to 100 as default
    - Show log messages initially, then go to the normal launcher/main menu after it finishes initialising the modem (DreamPi)
    - Remapping Controls - Can be changed in-game pause menu, I'm asking for the default controls remapped, to feel more like Q3A

Over the course of weeks there have been a number of changes to make the game run more stable online.

Dreamcast Alpha Build can be downloaded from here https://www.classicube.net/download/dreamcast - I have managed to join a number of online servers using the Broadband adapter however, when using DreamPi the results varied with being unable to join a server or the game crashing.

Keep in mind that this Dreamcast port is in early alpha. It will likely crash, freeze, perform poorly and has done a numerous of times whilst doing these tests.

Hardware used : Original PAL Dreamcast with a GDEMU + BBA and Pi - Dreamcast Keyboard, Mouse and Controller
Dev/Programmer mentioned they have used Flycast, I couldn't test this personally as I haven't setup Flycast to use a keyboard

Please report any issues you encounter on the ClassiCube Discord here - https://www.classicube.net/discord/.

I will contine to head the team/dev with any issues I come across whilst the build is being worked on, the game is free to download and is also cross play with other platforms.

Hopefuly see you on a server soon

Last edited by DreamcastUK on Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:43 am, edited 17 times in total.
Online Games: PSO | Quake III Arena | Toy Racer | 4x4 Evo | Starlancer | Planet Ring | Maximum Pool

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Re: ClassiCube : Supports Online Play [ALPHA BUILD]

Post#2 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:12 pm

Awesome! A new Dreamcast online game to check out

DreamcastUK
brutal

Post#3 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:26 pm

Sonic1994DC wrote:Awesome! A new Dreamcast online game to check out

Indeed, seems like people noticed my post/video
Online Games: PSO | Quake III Arena | Toy Racer | 4x4 Evo | Starlancer | Planet Ring | Maximum Pool

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Post#4 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:21 pm

I tested it out very shortly but I wanted to see if I could connect online and I did using my broadband adapter. I did get on two servers but none of the texture loaded in so I was in the air :lol:

IMG_8992.jpeg

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#5 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:29 pm

Incredible! Just when it seems like the Dreamcast has nothing left to surprise us with, an incredible game like this comes along with online functions! Incredible.

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Post#6 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:32 pm

Ryo_Hazuki wrote:Incredible! Just when it seems like the Dreamcast has nothing left to surprise us with, an incredible game like this comes along with online functions! Incredible.

Another game to add to Dreamcast Live Game Night

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:16 pm

..all I see is Minecrack? Hard pass

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Post#8 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:12 pm

IMG_8995.jpeg

IMG_8998.jpeg

IMG_8999.jpeg

cypressRU
lithium

Post#9 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:29 pm

Love it. Keep getting stuck with "Error 9" when trying to connect

DreamcastUK
brutal

Post#10 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:29 am

Sonic1994DC wrote:I tested it out very shortly but I wanted to see if I could connect online and I did using my broadband adapter. I did get on two servers but none of the texture loaded in so I was in the air :lol:

Yeah it might take a little while to load servers which have custom textures - I will be going through all the servers at some point and writing down which ones have standard textures (so not regarding downloads) so there is a server list to easily join

I will also be hosting a server, I did reach out to a couple of people in the community for assistance but - you can find details here https://www.classicube.net/server/host/about hosting servers

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor