Creating a standalone Genesis game for Dreamcast

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

TheRetroRoomGames
noob
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None

Creating a standalone Genesis game for Dreamcast

Post by TheRetroRoomGames »

I recently stumbled across a previous forum on here about wanting to create a Genesis game that essentially auto launches on the Dreamcast. There were talks about Genesis Plus SDL having a version where you can create standalone Genesis games that auto boot on Dreamcast, but it has absolute terrible compatibility. The compatibility of Genesis game on Dreamcast has vastly improved in the last couple of years and I was wondering if anyone has created something like this? It would be great for the homebrew community to have an opportunity to release their Genesis games on Dreamcast.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Creating a standalone Genesis game for Dreamcast

Post by Ian Micheal »

I have done this with my tmnt and phantasy star collection i will make a self porter gens single game thing for use :)

TheRetroRoomGames
noob
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None

Post by TheRetroRoomGames »

Ian Micheal wrote:I have done this with my tmnt and phantasy star collection i will make a self porter gens single game thing for use :)

That would be really awesome! I know I would find some great use with it, but the rest of the Genesis homwbrew community would love this sort of thing as well!

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

TheRetroRoomGames wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:I have done this with my tmnt and phantasy star collection i will make a self porter gens single game thing for use :)

That would be really awesome! I know I would find some great use with it, but the rest of the Genesis homwbrew community would love this sort of thing as well!
Np release it tomorrow or the next day with a video on how to use including saving.. :D Course it does not work on redream or other dc emulators other then demul so if you want to use them your out of luck.

For hardware and demul dc emulator only..

Not TapamN's or my fault redream is lacking and flycast etc

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

Here being coding it be easy theme-able music and few clicks game returns to title screen when exit you can change it..
Crt pvr hardware rendering static effects sh4 asm matrix particle effect 2 position menu auto-port for homebrew users Make your own single-game Genesis ports with saving 60 fps, no frameskip, and easy menu image theme-able

Some time tomorrow with video guide and how to very simple..

NO it will not work on redream please dont ask bother them to fix there emulator..

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Alien Front
ChuChu Rocket
Daytona USA
F355 Challenge
Maximum Pool
POD 2
Quake III
Racing Sim 2
Worms

Post by OlivusPrime »

Ian Micheal wrote:Here being coding it be easy theme-able music and few clicks game returns to title screen when exit you can change it..
Crt pvr hardware rendering static effects sh4 asm matrix particle effect 2 position menu auto-port for homebrew users Make your own single-game Genesis ports with saving 60 fps, no frameskip, and easy menu image theme-able

NO it will not work on redream please dont ask bother them to fix there emulator..
You've worked your magic again, thank you so much! I'll soon be releasing a romhack of Sonic 3D Blast and was hoping to create a Dreamcast "port", so this will work perfectly.

Is there any way of remapping the emulator controls? I've found that Sonic 3D tends to feel better on an analog stick (even though it isn't "true" analog), so the ability to remap the controls so that the game uses the Dreamcast controller's stick would be really useful.

Also is there any way of including a custom VMU image to display during gameplay?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

OlivusPrime wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:Here being coding it be easy theme-able music and few clicks game returns to title screen when exit you can change it..

You've worked your magic again, thank you so much! I'll soon be releasing a romhack of Sonic 3D Blast and was hoping to create a Dreamcast "port", so this will work perfectly.

Is there any way of remapping the emulator controls? I've found that Sonic 3D tends to feel better on an analog stick (even though it isn't "true" analog), so the ability to remap the controls so that the game uses the Dreamcast controller's stick would be really useful.

Also is there any way of including a custom VMU image to display during gameplay?
Yes it will be able to use custom vmu image about remapping i think you can do that in the option menu not sure if that saves it to a config file..

Menu is simple can mod this make it look like what every you want
w.png
dont want particle effects remove the stars.bin .. vmu image just be bmp easy to mod..

bring up option menu can exit back to the port menu and then reset to the bios..

Make it less like emulator more like what i called it auto porter..

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Alien Front
ChuChu Rocket
Daytona USA
F355 Challenge
Maximum Pool
POD 2
Quake III
Racing Sim 2
Worms

Post by OlivusPrime »

Ian Micheal wrote:Yes it will be able to use custom vmu image about remapping i think you can do that in the option menu not sure if that saves it to a config file..

Menu is simple can mod this make it look like what every you want
w.png
dont want particle effects remove the stars.bin .. vmu image just be bmp easy to mod..

bring up option menu can exit back to the port menu and then reset to the bios..

Make it less like emulator more like what i called it auto porter..
Fantastic, this sounds really exciting. Can't wait to see what I can create with it (and naturally, credit will be given to you for the porting tools).

KmusDC
fire
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Worms World Party, Phantasy Star Online v2, POD Speed Zone, Alien Front Online.

Post by KmusDC »

OlivusPrime wrote:

Thank you very much man, excellent work. Looking forward to the guide to create my genesis games. Greetings

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

Have a look
https://streamable.com/jo6n6p I think this is pretty neat ok new

Version 2
https://streamable.com/05lmjv
more particle full trans windows

Version 3 clean up
https://streamable.com/8btiti
loading transition roto zoom particle fade out load game

Reminder redream dc emulator is broken and does not work correct when using this
redream 2023-07-22 05-57-37-886.jpg