PAL vs NTSC?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Andrew
shadow

PAL vs NTSC?

Post#1 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:48 pm

Hello, are there are any differences between PAL and NTSC rom versions, is one better than the other? I am european so i'm inclined to go for PAL versions but i've noticed that NTSC roms of some games are easier to find and seemingly more recent.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Re: PAL vs NTSC?

Post#2 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:58 am

50hz vs 60hz although most Dreamcast PAL provides 60 provided you're using VGA display signal

To this day I still dying to know Monaco On-line DreamPi if 50hz pitted with 60hz players does anything bad or if never tried

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#3 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:17 am

Pretty much what mista said - there's not much need to worry when you're collecting European games for Dreamcast, as all games with VGA support (which is most of them) will output 60Hz in that mode anyway.

Honestly I never really got the rage over PAL vs NTSC. The number of games that are ruined by a poor PAL conversion are relatively few, and I certainly didn't notice the difference when I was growing up. Nowadays though, games from all regions are pretty widely available, so you can easily go for either if you have a preference.

letsgome
shadow

Post#4 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:10 pm

I think the PAL hate just comes from enthusiasts that have higher end CRTS 50hz can really hurt the eyes. As long as you are hooked up to a VGA monitor or a flat panel there's not really much of a difference between PAL and NTSC, but if you ever want to use a 15khz CRT it is definitely better to have the NTSC releases.

Andrew
shadow

Post#5 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:46 am

Thanks for the replies, i'll just stick with PAL copies then.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#6 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:16 am

letsgome wrote:I think the PAL hate just comes from enthusiasts that have higher end CRTS 50hz can really hurt the eyes. As long as you are hooked up to a VGA monitor or a flat panel there's not really much of a difference between PAL and NTSC, but if you ever want to use a 15khz CRT it is definitely better to have the NTSC releases.

as good as every PAL crt since the 90's does 60hz natively, as long as you connect with RGB ;)
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here