Bangai-Oh VGA Patch

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

megggan
lithium

Re: Bangai-Oh VGA Patch

Post by megggan »

No blurring effect when playing KOF:E via Behar Bros HDMI converter, just looks like every other 2D game on it does.

fraggle200
Graffiti Grind

Post by fraggle200 »

Ian Micheal wrote:Sharp on normal vga cable .. Could it not be there tv doing silly things or monitor not sure ..
that's a fair point Ian. hence why I tested the VGA patched KOF Dream match and it's as I'd have expected, lovely clear blocky pixels. This surely rules out the TV/Monitor as it'd be an issue on both of these and not just this 1 game.

What we need is someone with a HW1 DCHDMI to confirm if theirs is also behaving this way.

fraggle200
Graffiti Grind

Post by fraggle200 »

ateam wrote:
fraggle200 wrote:HQ2X isn't an option in HW1 DCHDMI.
Yes it is, but it might require a different firmware branch. You can find mentions of it on the original DCHDMI changelog (https://github.com/chriz2600/DreamcastHDMI#readme).

I remember now why I can't see it. I'm on strict HDMI timings. was getting weird issues on the non standard timings and it's not an option in the strict ones.

Ant2no78
rebel
Dreamcast Games you play Online: sega rally 2

Post by Ant2no78 »

i have the first DCHDMI

The only options I get are for scanlines.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post by deluxux »

so funny the only response has been from people with a DCHDMI so they already had no need for this software! What a crazy world!!!!

fraggle200
Graffiti Grind

Post by fraggle200 »

deluxux wrote:so funny the only response has been from people with a DCHDMI so they already had no need for this software! What a crazy world!!!!
I dunno about that. it'd be nice to know I don't need to go changing video output just to play 1 game, while literally everything else on my SSD works as intended in VGA mode. Cable Detect defaults to an interlaced signal so it's not comparable to a VGA output, even on DCHDMI.

Is it a 1st world problem? 100% it is!!! That doesn't mean I shouldn't want to be able to do some coherent testing and find a solution to it.

I'm still waiting on someone else other than Ant2no78 with HW1 DCHDMI confirming if what I'm seeing is an us problem or not.

ateam
Animated Violence

Post by ateam »

fraggle200 wrote:I'm still waiting on someone else other than Ant2no78 with HW1 DCHDMI confirming if what I'm seeing is an us problem or not.
I posted about it, so perhaps we'll get some feedback.

https://twitter.com/DerekPascarella/sta ... 7776560128
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

fraggle200
Graffiti Grind

Post by fraggle200 »

Thanks Derek, it's much appreciated.

Retrofan21
rebel

Post by Retrofan21 »

I made a 2nd video of KOF evolution VGA patched gameplay using a Bitfunx dreamcast hdmi adapter I got second hand at a game store. I did this to show the video quality of KOF evolution with a cheaper hdmi solution. https://youtu.be/eKUQ1dx4b7U

TapamN
letterbomb

Post by TapamN »

ateam wrote:What version are you using? I released 1.6 yesterday, though that wouldn't affect what you're experiencing.

Can you verify the filenames and MD5 checksums of the helper utilities inside of the "tools" folder?
Everything matches. I think it might just be Wine acting up, since I don't use Windows. I vaguely remember having an issue with Wine before where a previously working program suddenly stopped working correctly until I did a restart.
fraggle200 wrote:Maybe it's just my eyes but with the Cable Select mode selected you get the raw pixels, which is what I'd have thought we would have got with VGA. Looks like there's some sort of filtering happening to the VGA signal as it's fuzzy/washed out, for the lack of a better term. Looks like in "Terry", we're starting to lose the top and bottom of the lettering when in VGA, compared to Cable Select.
That doesn't happen on my system, with an analog VGA box connected to a CRT. The pixels are perfect across the whole screen. The PAL full screen upscaler might cause something like that, but the patch replaces the PAL code with VGA, so it shouldn't be possible for that to get enabled.