Apple Bandai Pippin games on Dreamcast

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

iamstevenalmanza
Fancy Pants Admin

Apple Bandai Pippin games on Dreamcast

Post by iamstevenalmanza »

I am not savvy with creating homebrew yet but one of the projects I would really like to explore is being able to play Apple Bandai Pippin games on the Dreamcast. Anyone have any idea how I can start this project or if someone knows of a method that has already proven to work? Something to note: Apple Pippin games could be played on mac os systems when they were released.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Apple Bandai Pippin games on Dreamcast

Post by Anthony817 »

I am gonna go out on a limb here and say not possible to emulate at all with playable speeds. Can't even emulate DOSBOX very well past a certain point. The best bet is source porting games. And one of the Pippin's games I always wanted to see was Marathon completely working. It is the precursor to Halo. I would say that is the 1 game worth playing, and source code exists, but really as Ian said, most were not that great if memory serves me.

Marathon trilogy was already ported to the console however, via the amazing AlephOne source port, but it lacked certain things like proper controller, mouse, and VMU support. How the hell do you play it then you may be asking? It didn't even have official mouse support. The only way to experience that on Dreamcast is with a keyboard alone. It runs full speed and everything graphically is pretty much perfect, but to me, I don't call playing FPS games exclusively with a keyboard my idea of fun. I know that is how early FPS games were played before mouse controls became a common thing, but it is kind of a shame. Bero, the guy who ported it had some crazy source code that even pros like Ian and mrneo240 looked at it and they said it was like trying to read an alien language. That was how crazy it was.

@Ian, didn't you tell me it was also using a lot of custom Linux code?

Anyways you can try that out from this FPS collection disc that had most of Bero's FPS ports,

https://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewto ... 12#p111912

Ragfish
St.Jimmy
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO
Quake 3
Chu Chu Rocket
AFO
NBA 2K2
NFL 2K2
WSB 2K2
Internet Game Pack
Pool

Post by Ragfish »

You guys don't understand, I NEED to play Mr. Potato Head Saves Veggie Valley and the only piece of technology I own is a Dreamcast

OatBob
MegaDeath

Post by OatBob »

Porting one failed console's library to another. I can't imagine this getting much traction.
shinjitsunayu.me/ - web content for DC.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO: anything with mayu in its name = me

Post by mazonemayu »

Ragfish wrote:You guys don't understand, I NEED to play Mr. Potato Head Saves Veggie Valley and the only piece of technology I own is a Dreamcast
You don’t understand :lol: the only working pippin emulator is embedded into MAME, you’ll need all the setup files, roms, and a kanji keyboard setup with some knowledge of the language to make it all work. There are also NO guides on the matter.
Good luck :mrgreen:
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post by Anthony817 »

I know sarcasm is hard to detect on the internet, but I am pretty sure Ragfish was being sarcastic. I mean I thought that much was obvious lol? I mean he wasn't even the OP. It looked like he was mocking the OP's post. :lol:

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO: anything with mayu in its name = me

Post by mazonemayu »

Anthony817 wrote:I know sarcasm is hard to detect on the internet, but I am pretty sure Ragfish was being sarcastic. I mean I thought that much was obvious lol? I mean he wasn't even the OP. It looked like he was mocking the OP's post. :lol:

I was being sarcastic too while at the same time telling the truth :lol: :lol:
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Ragfish
St.Jimmy
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO
Quake 3
Chu Chu Rocket
AFO
NBA 2K2
NFL 2K2
WSB 2K2
Internet Game Pack
Pool

Post by Ragfish »

Anthony817 wrote:It looked like he was mocking the OP's post.
Moreso the mentality of "this game exists, therefore I need someone else to put it on Dreamcast"

iamstevenalmanza
Fancy Pants Admin

Post by iamstevenalmanza »

I guess really the only game I'm dying to play is Power Rangers Zeo. lol.