Sonic Mania - Decompiled

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

cypressRU
lithium

Re: Sonic Mania - Decompiled

Post#41 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:22 pm

As much as I do love the classic genesis version, I've speedran too much of the modern control scheme for tails on sonic 2 (sonic 3&knuckles style flying), going back to the original doesn't feel good unless i'm playing as sonic

Falco Girgis
Developer

Post#42 » Sat May 27, 2023 12:41 pm

So before I say anything, I cannot believe how well that game is running already given its a fully software based renderer that was written for modern consoles with an engine that sounds like it's quite RAM bloated... and this is with zero rendering optimizations for Dreamcast... amazing.

But yeah, I've talked to the developer of both the Wii version and the guy doing the Dreamcast port now quite a bit... and yeah, Sonic Mania BARELY made it onto the Wii's 64MB of RAM, so that's about to be a serious problem...

...but we don't all have 16MB of RAM, some of us have 32MB of RAM now, and they are getting support for it automatically out of KOS now, so while someobody running 16MB will have the game freak out and shit itself at that 16MB limit with malloc() returning NULL in C or new throwing a std::bad_alloc exception in C++... those of us at 32MB will be able to handle twice the load.

Time to start investing in that 32MB mod! Haha.

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#43 » Sun May 28, 2023 4:51 am

time for a Dreamcast mini with 16/32 MB switch possibility? or some trustable way, maybe with a sort of warrancy too

prolly im asking too much, its just im totally crap in doing mods

also wondering if a virtual 32 MB emulation could be implemented in newest DC emulators

a good way to start the 'new' experience
ScummVM and OpenBOR/ DreamBOR in first

Falco Girgis
Developer

Post#44 » Sun May 28, 2023 3:28 pm

kremiso wrote:also wondering if a virtual 32 MB emulation could be implemented in newest DC emulators

Yeah, definitely! I don't know about the mainstream emulators, but on the development side, we use LxDream Nitro (because we've added extra dev stuff to it), and we successfully added the ability to emulate 32MB there. Should be fairly easy for an emulator author to make the modifications to allow for this.

kremiso wrote:a good way to start the 'new' experience
ScummVM and OpenBOR/ DreamBOR in first

ScummVM was apparently the first one to actually support the 32MB mod, before I even knew what it was. This page has some more information: https://dreamcast.wiki/32MB_RAM_expansion

kremiso wrote:prolly im asking too much, its just im totally crap in doing mods
Not going to lie to you, I installed my DreamPSU, GDEmu, and hard drive, but I had to get darc to do my 32MB and dual BIOS mods, because I was just too scared. :lol:

SAKURARadiochan
shadow

Post#45 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:07 pm

So *has* this been ported to Dreamcast, or...?