The new proposed "VM2" from Chris at DreamMods.net

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

colgate
Doom

Re: The new proposed

Post#41 » Mon May 02, 2022 9:29 am

Treamcaster wrote:
colgate wrote:Isn't this the only footage from 10six for the Dreamcast released? I don't remember seeing anything else.

This is the only one I know of...
Really cool thanks for sharing!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Lollie
noob

Re: The new proposed "VM2" from Chris at DreamMods.net

Post#42 » Tue May 24, 2022 5:09 am

chrisvcpp wrote:Still, it will need some extra work and issues to solve : like how to switch VMUs while in a game.

It might be worth chatting with the devs behind 8BitMods and see how they achieved this for their MemCard PRO for PS1 - It has support for MicroSD, and two physical buttons for switching between virtual memory cards on the fly.

(That might even be an idea to adopt: Place two clicky buttons on the bottom corners of the VM2, so that they face upwards when inserted into a controller, and use them for simple virtual card switching.)

I'm excited for the prospect of the VM2, I'll be there for the eventual crowdfunding campaign! Although it's probably a niche wish, I'd love to be able to connect the VM2 via USB while playing, and capture the VMU display and audio on PC with an app.

Also, +1 for transparent shells. Frosted clear plastic would be easy to dye...

Cranch
shadow

Post#43 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:42 am

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#44 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:56 am

The campaign is going well, almost 63k€ out of 90k€.

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Post#45 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:52 am

Xiden wrote:The question we all want to know.... what colors will be available? :lol:

What I was waiting for is for a Color screen VMU, but it is sure we have to wait to a Dreamcast 2
Dreamcast 2 controller.png
Last edited by Ro Magnus Larsson on Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Post#46 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:56 am

ateam wrote:NOTE: For any questions or feedback, please comment directly on this thread.

This latest prototype has been dubbed the "VM2", and its features are as follows:

1. New LCD with higher resolution. This will make it capable of running the original (48x32) or 2x (96x64)
    2. Screen backlight
    3. Internal memory of 4x VMUs
    4. Internal memory for 50+ mini-games
    5. USB charging
    6. PC connectivity for managing both internal memories (4x VMUs backup/restore) and mini-games
    7. Embedded high-capacity LiPo battery

Maybe a SD card slot would be great, in order not to have a limited memory
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

Treamcaster
fire

Post#47 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:27 pm

It features Micro-SD storage ;)

NightBreeze
fire

Post#48 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:22 pm

chrisvcpp wrote:Still, it will need some extra work and issues to solve : like how to switch VMUs while in a game. At the moment the most obvious option seems to simply unplug the VM2 from controller, select the desired VMU from the VM2 menu, and then plug again. But changing VMUs often in such a way, might be annoying..

Would be amazing to implement custom commands on the VM2 that can be issued by e.g. open menu to tell VM2 what game is being launched (and thus loading the vmu for that game). Doesn’t really help disc users but would be awesome for GDEMU users. Shouldn’t be too hard to convince TO to include it in MODE either.

TapamN
letterbomb

Post#49 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:21 am

I suggested that, but he didn't seem interested.

Maybe instead of/in addition to a replacement VMU, someone could use a Raspberry Pico or something to sit between the console and controller. It would forward all normal controller Maple commands between the console and controller, but intercept any commands to the first VMU. All LCD commands would be passed to the physical VMU, while storage commands would be processed on the Pico. The Pico could store the VMU image on an SD card, switch between "banks" when instructed to by OpenMenu or whatever. And there would be some way to force everything on the current card to be written to the physical VMU, for when you want to play a VMU game. Maybe use a Pico W and write the VMU images over SMB or something?

There's probably other things you could do with an interceptor like this, like patch the region code on Japanese light guns or remap buttons.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#50 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:30 am

TapamN wrote:There's probably other things you could do with an interceptor like this, like patch the region code on Japanese light guns.

I have hacked every light gun game, no need to change the region.
I don’t know why the VM2 developer is so opposed to your suggestion, even my MAPLE adapter contains the command to change the VMU bank, at the moment there is no software that could switch the memory bank, but at any time I can add this feature to openmenu or dreamshell

Return to “New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation”