[NEW UTILITY] Convert GDEMU SD Card to MODE

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

ateam
Heroine Console

[NEW UTILITY] Convert GDEMU SD Card to MODE

Post#1 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:58 am

Hi, all!

As part of my ongoing translation patch development, I've decided to amass the three standard Dreamcast ODEs (GDEMU, MODE, and USBGDROM) for testing. My goal being to ensure compatibility.

As part of this process, I had the need to take a filled-to-the-brim GDEMU-formatted 512gb SD card and automatically convert its file/folder structure for use with the MODE. Doing this by hand would be insane, of course, and since I had to whip up a little program to do it automatically, I figured I might as well share it here with you all.

https://github.com/DerekPascarella/Convert-GDEMU-SD-Card-to-MODE

Especially given the recent PR nightmare with Terraonion, let me lay out a few points here just in case somebody is sitting at their keyboard, ready to yell at me...

My participation in the retrogaming scene, specifically Dreamcast, is all about love for the technology, the games, etc. The MODE is no less a piece of impressive ODE kit than any other solution, regardless of who owns the company. I'm not going to blindly pretend the product doesn't exist, or pretend that it doesn't offer some unique features.

That being said, an authentic GDEMU is still my "daily driver", but I'm very happy to now be able to test my games on the MODE, as well.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam