Video2DreamcastDisc Release - Automatically Convert ANY Media File To An Auto-Playing Sega Dreamcast Disc

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

galaxygod
core

Re: Video2DreamcastDisc Release - Automatically Convert ANY Media File To An Auto-Playing Sega Dreamcast Disc

Post#21 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:49 am

loving this tool! i converted some of my music videos but i noticed that your converter added a white screen at the very end that says something like "we are proud to present" and it flashes twice before ending

alexfree
fire

Re: Video2DreamcastDisc Release - Automatically Convert ANY Media File To An Auto-Playing Sega Dreamcast Disc

Post#22 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:00 am

galaxygod wrote:loving this tool! i converted some of my music videos but i noticed that your converter added a white screen at the very end that says something like "we are proud to present" and it flashes twice before ending

I've done the same with some music videos as well!
About the whitescreen, that is just how the old SFD_Player works, I didn't make it, just modified it. I might be able to remove this in a few ways in a new version.

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#23 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:43 pm

alexfree wrote:
galaxygod wrote:loving this tool! i converted some of my music videos but i noticed that your converter added a white screen at the very end that says something like "we are proud to present" and it flashes twice before ending

About the whitescreen, that is just how the old SFD_Player works, I didn't make it, just modified it. I might be able to remove this in a few ways in a new version.

An easy solution would be to replace the 256x256px PVRs (SOFTDEC.PVR and WARNER.PVR) inside of "bin\sfd_player\movie" with a PVR of the same size that contains nothing but solid black. Obviously modifying the executable could take it further and remove the call to display one or both of those textures, but that's more effort than is necessary for something like this.

EDIT: If you need help rendering those textures, let me know. It’s very easy, but if you don’t know where to start, you may get stuck. I’m more than happy to lend a hand!
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

alexfree
fire

Post#24 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:39 pm

ateam wrote:
alexfree wrote:

An easy solution would be to replace the 256x256px PVRs (SOFTDEC.PVR and WARNER.PVR) inside of "bin\sfd_player\movie" with a PVR of the same size that contains nothing but solid black. Obviously modifying the executable could take it further and remove the call to display one or both of those textures, but that's more effort than is necessary for something like this.

EDIT: If you need help rendering those textures, let me know. It’s very easy, but if you don’t know where to start, you may get stuck. I’m more than happy to lend a hand!

This is great info! I will credit you for this in the next release. So I can just make a black pvr and replace those pvrs which are the ones that generate the end of video message.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#25 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:33 pm

alexfree,

when i get a day off work, i will pm you the scripts i put together.
hopefully one day we have an all in one app for making all the different type of dreamcast video disks.
fyi the mil cd type of video disk that neo figured out have to be padded and built to mimic the original format of the retail mil cd disks.
if neo figures out howto mod the files, then making a mil cd video disk will be much easier for us all.

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#26 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:52 am

alexfree wrote:This is great info! I will credit you for this in the next release. So I can just make a black pvr and replace those pvrs which are the ones that generate the end of video message.

The only thing you might need to do is ensure your new PVR matches the specifications of the originals. Some DC games/applications are programmed in a more "forgiving" way when it comes to this, so if it doesn't work at first (or causes crashes), try rendering your texture to match the original.

Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube

alexfree
fire

Post#27 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:42 am

ateam wrote:
alexfree wrote:This is great info! I will credit you for this in the next release. So I can just make a black pvr and replace those pvrs which are the ones that generate the end of video message.

The only thing you might need to do is ensure your new PVR matches the specifications of the originals. Some DC games/applications are programmed in a more "forgiving" way when it comes to this, so if it doesn't work at first (or causes crashes), try rendering your texture to match the original.

I just did this successfully, it works. I think however a white texture would be better. At the end of the video, the executable displays WARNER.PVR, scrolls into white, displays SOFTDEC.PVR, scrolls into white, then black (order of pvrs might be wrong in my description but doesn't matter as both of them need to be replaced by the same texture for what we want). The black texture still is kind of jarring.

I also have made a script that splits long media files into specified time intervels, i.e. 25 minute splits. I just watched a movie with 3 CD-Rs :). I will include this script and another one which merges multiple files into one for the opposite effect (think multiple episodes of a short show or multiple music videos).

Edit: The white texture is perfect!

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#28 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:48 am

alexfree wrote:I just did this successfully, it works. I think however a white texture would be better. At the end of the video, the executable displays WARNER.PVR, scrolls into white, displays SOFTDEC.PVR, scrolls into white, then black (order of pvrs might be wrong in my description but doesn't matter as both of them need to be replaced by the same texture for what we want). The black texture still is kind of jarring.

I also have made a script that splits long media files into specified time intervels, i.e. 25 minute splits. I just watched a movie with 3 CD-Rs :). I will include this script and another one which merges multiple files into one for the opposite effect (think multiple episodes of a short show or multiple music videos).

Nice! To be honest with you, I didn’t test your utility before suggesting this, so I had no idea about the fade-to-white. Glad to see you’ve got it working, though!

By the way, are you familiar with the “Project Berkley” bonus disc that shipped with Virtua Fighter 3tb in Japan? It’s a 30-minute-or-so Yu Suzuki interview about Shenmue, stored as a single SFD played back by a simple executable. It doesn’t feature any playback controls (if I recall correctly), but I thought you might be interested in looking at it. I’m not saying there’s any advantage to changing your utility to leverage this player instead of the one you’ve got, but it’s still cool to play around with.

You can grab the GDI here: https://archive.org/download/tosecdcmul ... 002%5D.zip
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#29 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:56 am

I will take a look all them are just katana sample that i have seen so far not even last which had dma sound transfer can tell by the included api files.. Thanks i will take a look.. I would hope it's working duck version much better video then sfd

alexfree
fire

Post#30 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:59 pm

ateam wrote:
alexfree wrote:I just did this successfully, it works. I think however a white texture would be better. At the end of the video, the executable displays WARNER.PVR, scrolls into white, displays SOFTDEC.PVR, scrolls into white, then black (order of pvrs might be wrong in my description but doesn't matter as both of them need to be replaced by the same texture for what we want). The black texture still is kind of jarring.

Nice! To be honest with you, I didn’t test your utility before suggesting this, so I had no idea about the fade-to-white. Glad to see you’ve got it working, though!

By the way, are you familiar with the “Project Berkley” bonus disc that shipped with Virtua Fighter 3tb in Japan? It’s a 30-minute-or-so Yu Suzuki interview about Shenmue, stored as a single SFD played back by a simple executable. It doesn’t feature any playback controls (if I recall correctly), but I thought you might be interested in looking at it. I’m not saying there’s any advantage to changing your utility to leverage this player instead of the one you’ve got, but it’s still cool to play around with.

You can grab the GDI here: https://archive.org/download/tosecdcmul ... 002%5D.zip

Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I was unaware of that disc, it is good to know about it's existence.