Visual Novel translation opportunities?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

fraggle200
chill

Visual Novel translation opportunities?

Post#1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:03 pm

This is kind of a question to anyone that's capable of translations.

I was listening to the DCJunkyard Dreampod the other day and Lewis who was on that particular episode (can't rem which one it was) mentioned that quite a few of the DC's visual novels were ports and there's English translations for them out there in the wild, albeit for different formats.

This got me wondering what ones were there and after a bit of digging I found a reasonable list of VN's that exist on the DC and you can see that a lot of them have a translation on some other system. https://vndb.org/v?q=&ch=&f=4odrc&s=320

Has anyone considered porting any of these translations?
is it the case that theres just as much work in trying to extract the script from 1 particular format and getting it into the DC version of the VN than there would be if you were starting from scratch?
or is it the fact that there's a translation already, regardless of the format it's in, so it would make the whole process a bit more straightforward even if that script needed refinement?
OR is it the case that regardless of the script being available or not, seeing all the work that ateam and his team have had to put into Nakoruru so far, it doesn't matter about that as visually there's still so much more to do?

I'm not a VN fan in the slightest but love the translation work that everyone is doing so just wondered if there's an opportunity to get more things translated but with relative ease.

ateam
Heroine Console

Re: Visual Novel translation opportunities?

Post#2 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:18 pm

Thank you so much for creating a post about this!

As some of you know, I'm currently leading the translation project for the Samurai Shodown spinoff visual novel "Nakoruru: The Gift She Gave Me" (viewtopic.php?f=52&t=14736&p=160987#p160987). However, there are a wealth of other VNs on the Dreamcast that I would be THRILLED to see translated!

Funny enough, I actually have that link you shared already bookmarked, as I had the same thought about doing (what may or may not be) a simple text/texture rip-and-replace. Depending on the platform for which the English localization was released, such an effort could range anywhere from trivial (for a somewhat-experienced romhacker), to extremely difficult (especially when dealing with esoteric file formats and compression algorithms).

Anyway, I'm mainly posting this reply in hopes that your post gets more visibility. As I said, I would love to see some of these pre-existing translations (whether they're official or unofficial) get brought over to their Dreamcast versions. Here's hoping that somebody with the skill and desire picks one of them up!
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#3 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:33 pm

You can hundred sword too. The PC version is in english.

fraggle200
chill

Post#4 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:41 pm

ateam wrote:
Anyway, I'm mainly posting this reply in hopes that your post gets more visibility. As I said, I would love to see some of these pre-existing translations (whether they're official or unofficial) get brought over to their Dreamcast versions. Here's hoping that somebody with the skill and desire picks one of them up!

Yeah my thoughts as well. Wish I had the skills/time to be able to even start it with these but I've already started harvesting all the patch files I can for the VN's so that even if I can't, there should be a repository for someone else to be able to easily get started on something without need to trawl through forums and dead links to even get the patch in the first place.

I'm still very much struggling with JOJOs and like I mentioned on twitter I need to drop you a PM to see if there's something straightforward I'm missing but I've not had time recently to get back into it what with xmas etc but hopefully soon, so be on the look out.

SpaceHoliday
dark night

Post#5 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:02 pm

I would love to see patches for Dreamcast of the more popular visual novels like Kanon, Air and Ever17 that have already seen translations on PC. Would be awesome!
Visit The Dreamcast Junkyard: http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk