Gens4Dreams RC3: Shangri-La, 2/3/2023

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Re: Gens4Dreams - Curated, Emulated Genesis/MD (using TapamN's Gens4all)

Post#121 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:01 pm

Sorry I seem to be flooding this thread with posts, I'm getting a lot of use out of this emulator.

Is it possible to autostart a specific ROM when booting the emulator? I'm thinking of splitting off a couple of games to boot them individually on SD/from CD-R.

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#122 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:09 am

Does this emulator support save states?
aka DavidHK on DC games.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#123 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:12 am

dave_van_damn wrote:Does this emulator support save states?

No srm batt back up if the game supported saving then you have saving.. Like a real machine at this point..

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Post#124 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:36 pm

I was hoping to give some good news, but unfortunately, there won't be any update to G4D until Christmas at the earliest. Life is 100% in swinging motion, I haven't powered on my desktop in 4 months, so those projects are still sitting there. I still know the game plan, and I'm keeping an eye on ROMhacking, Itch and SonicRetro to add more content for later. Things need to chill out for me.

SODIX
shadow

Post#125 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:32 pm

Hangs down when I launch Mickey Mouse game.

Nobletaran
dark night

Post#126 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:55 pm

Where isn dl loink

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Re: Gens4Dreams RC3: Shangri-La, 2/3/2023

Post#127 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:11 pm

Gens4Dreams
Gens4all v4.3, RC3: Shangri-La, released 2/3/2023

changelog
-RC3: Shangri-La, 2/3/2023
Manually fixed the following games booting:
Brave Battle Saga, Dragon Ball Z, Fushigi no Umi no Nadia, Micro Machines Turbo Tournament 96, Phantasy Star SegaNet series, TMNT Tournament Fighters, World of Illusion

Improved:
Homebrew > Wolfenstein 3D (6 button layout align to SNES)

Revised incorrect names of:
Chester Cheetah 2: Wild Wild Quest

Replaced:
Ronaldinho '98 -> International Superstar Soccer Deluxe

Removed:
SONIC HACKS > a demo by drx (blank boot), Generic Sonic Rom Hack, Robotnik Returns, Sonic Erazor, Metal Sonic Hyperdrive, Sonic & The Mystic Gems, South Island Adventure, Sonic Fantasy Worlds (all freezing at intro)
Improvements > ATP 2022 (broken)
Improvements > Golden Axe 3 Redux (region issue)

Added:
Snow Bros., Darius Extra
Homebrew > Super Mario Bros, Final Fight MD, Sub Mare Imperium, Metal Slug Beta 2, mikeyeldey95, Insane Pain, Windjammera Alpha 8, BIO EVIL

Warned:
Monster World IV has Z80 audio issues. Attempted to fix by using the Sonic 1 smps modifier but to no avail. Play at your own risk.

RC3: Shangri-La Released 2/3/2023, contains ISO & CDI

On a personal note, thanks for the wait, everyone. 2022 was a bad year for me, from familial tragedies to uprooted living, it's been a hard time. I wanted to do more work on this project and fix some issues sooner with the curation, but it just wasn't in the cards. Things are a bit better now, and I decided to just sit down and crank through testing and fixing of some issues, like the truncating of game files caused by the Joliet filesystem. The Phantasy Star visual novels now work just fine, as well as TMNT Tournament Fighters.

I have discovered a number of problems with the Sonic romhacks launching that didn't seem to be an issue until now with 4.3, so a lot of those have been binned. I still want to explore the romhacks, but it's a challenge when newer romhacks are pushing the limits of this emulator.

In the meantime, I've tried to make up for that by adding in several new homebrew titles, from the 2010 reverse-engineered Super Mario Bros to the rad new BIO EVIL and Final Fight MD demos from Itch. The retail games now have Snow Bros. and the Darius Extra Version released with the first Genesis Mini. I was hoping the new games from the Mini 2 had been dumped, but it appears Sega has upped the ante on the security. Word also has it some of those games are using new emulator tricks that may not even work with Gens4all. I'd at least like to see Devi & Pii run on Dreamcast, but they aren't dumped yet, so we'll just have to keep waiting.

One other thing I wanted to add, but couldn't, was SD card support. megavolt83 did make a modified build of 4.3 with support for SD and HDD, but this subsequently broke gamelist support. Oh well, for the time being, this will do. Hope yall enjoy.

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#128 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:31 am

WedgeStratos wrote:Gens4Dreams
Gens4all v4.3, RC3: Shangri-La, released 2/3/2023

Amazing! Sorry to hear it's been a rough year for you, but for what it's worth your work on this is amazing and much appreciated. In particular it makes me glad I went for a Dreamcast rather than a Mega Drive (it was one or the other), so my sincere thanks.

WedgeStratos wrote:One other thing I wanted to add, but couldn't, was SD card support. megavolt83 did make a modified build of 4.3 with support for SD and HDD, but this subsequently broke gamelist support. Oh well, for the time being, this will do. Hope yall enjoy.

Would this mean it doesn't currently work on Dreamshell, or is this in reference to ROMs being stored on an SD card?

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Post#129 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:40 pm

OlivusPrime wrote:
WedgeStratos wrote:One other thing I wanted to add, but couldn't, was SD card support. megavolt83 did make a modified build of 4.3 with support for SD and HDD, but this subsequently broke gamelist support. Oh well, for the time being, this will do. Hope yall enjoy.

Would this mean it doesn't currently work on Dreamshell, or is this in reference to ROMs being stored on an SD card?

The latter. To that extent, I still have not tested the Dreamshell compatibility with this, but have not seen any indication that it doesn't work.

Megavolt83 has a build of Gens4all that handles SD and HDD for loading Roms and handling SRAM for games. The changes he made must change where it handles loading gamelist.bin as well, because it still sees the CD/ space in the file browser. I imagine it would be trivial to keep that support in without changing where it grabs gamelist.bin.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#130 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:04 am

[quote="WedgeStratos"]

On a personal note, thanks for the wait, everyone.[quote]

Thanks to you ! Happy to read you are better now.
I'll try this emulator this evening, the previous version with the fantastic rom folder in the ide drive made by @megavolt85, can't boot the "homebrew" the cursed knight and demons of asteborg. Hope this time it will be good.