Gens4Dreams RC3: Shangri-La, 2/3/2023

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

MoeFoh
Uber

Re: Gens4Dreams - Curated, Emulated Genesis/MD (using TapamN's Gens4all)

Post#111 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:51 pm

It's getting truncated by mkisofs.exe when the cdi is made. A length check could be added to glc.exe. He may be using the Joliet filesystem TOC as part of the lookup. If anybody has the know-how to do this, it's TapamN.
Last edited by MoeFoh on Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

TapamN
letterbomb

Post#112 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:40 pm

WedgeStratos wrote:Oh bother! So the gamelist.bin has an internal character limit for filepaths. I didn't check for this because who would? At the very least, this rules out the possibility that it's caused by special characters not encoded correctly in zip format.

The gamelist format has no file name size limits (but the gamelist binary must be less than 175000 bytes), the source text to binary compiler has no limit, and the game list source creator has a limit of 1999 characters. The ISO filesystem seems to have a limit of 30 characters, according to one source I checked. I would have thought that the ISO creator would have generated some kind of warning.

If you hold A on the title screen, you can force the file system browser and get to the game that way. However, any gamelist settings, like hacks or the VMU filename, won't get used.

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Post#113 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:51 pm

TapamN wrote:The gamelist format has no file name size limits (but the gamelist binary must be less than 175000 bytes), the source text to binary compiler has no limit, and the game list source creator has a limit of 1999 characters. The ISO filesystem seems to have a limit of 30 characters, according to one source I checked. I would have thought that the ISO creator would have generated some kind of warning.

The most identifiable example is between the two TMNT games.
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Hyperstone Heist"

Vs

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters"

Neither of these on their own seem to be a problem, but add it up in the filename, /games/ is an extra 7 characters in the path, and then you add in (U) or (UE) and the .zip, it's hitting the 64 character limit of the Joliet FS, precisely as MoeFoh says. Hyperstone Heist works fine but Tournament Fighters definitely fails to boot.

Thanks for the A button mention too, that actually proves it. The filesystem is breaking these specific files. Since it's inherent to the FS, it can't just be fixed. The respective software has to be made to truncate the filenames, and of course, that still breaks other parts of the project. So I'll need to just be more keen about the filename length.

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#114 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:48 pm

I'm trying to run the ISO for this via Dreamshell using an SD serial port adapter, and it keeps rebooting Dreamshell rather than booting the emulator. Are there specific settings I need to use to boot this? Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere or I seem uneducated, I'm very new to booting via the SD adapter.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#115 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:10 pm

Gens4all run with dreamshell sd card reader so I guess yes it's possible.
Select homebrew OS.

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#116 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:48 pm

fafadou wrote:Gens4all run with dreamshell sd card reader so I guess yes it's possible.
Select homebrew OS.

Selecting homebrew OS worked! You're a life saver.

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#117 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:46 pm

I'm having trouble playing Ecco the Dolphin using this ISO - selecting it just produces a black screen, and then returns to the game list. A bad ROM perhaps? Is there a way of assembling an ISO with a fixed version?

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#118 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:14 pm

Sorry, another question (I'm getting a lot of use out of this emulator!):

Is it possible to allow the player 2 controller to access the emulator menu? I'm using an ASCII pad with this emulator, but it doesn't have an analog stick, so whenever I want to access the emulator menu I have to swap out controllers. It would be much easier to have a regular pad plugged into slot 2, which can then be used to access the menu when need be.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#119 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:36 pm

OlivusPrime wrote:Sorry, another question (I'm getting a lot of use out of this emulator!):

Is it possible to allow the player 2 controller to access the emulator menu? I'm using an ASCII pad with this emulator, but it doesn't have an analog stick, so whenever I want to access the emulator menu I have to swap out controllers. It would be much easier to have a regular pad plugged into slot 2, which can then be used to access the menu when need be.

Use A+B+X+Y+START to get to the menu.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#120 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:26 pm

MoeFoh wrote:Use A+B+X+Y+START to get to the menu.

Didn't realise you could do that! Excellent, thank you.