Gens4Dreams RC3: Shangri-La, 2/3/2023

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Re: Gens4Dreams - Curated, Emulated Genesis/MD (using TapamN's Gens4all)

Post#101 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:57 pm

Deleted, ignore.
Last edited by WedgeStratos on Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlorreW
Animated Violence

Post#102 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:04 pm

Ede07 wrote:
FlorreW wrote:Thanks allot for the info, I will try that <3

Did u achive something? I like ur idea too.

Hi there, no unfortunately not. I extracted the files but did not have a clue what program to view them in. So i couldn't try it out.

I tried different hex/text viewers. Ian Micheal said: "It's pretty hard you need linux toolchain to build it working "

So it's way out of my league :)

Ede07
undertow

Post#103 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:16 pm

WedgeStratos wrote:
Ede07 wrote:A tutorial for casuals how to get this working on a gdemu would be nice, since not everyone is a die hard pro.

I'm with Ian... What is there to explain? it's the same exact procedure for any other release you put on the GDemu. If you for some reason aren't using management software, you should immediately change that. We strongly recommend sonikbr's GDMENUCardManager to maintain and optimize your SD cards.
If you insist on just throwing it on your SD card, it's literally judt putting in whatever the next number in your sequence is, dropping the CDI version into that folder, and making a name.txt with "GENS4dreams" inside of it.

I'm also with him. Check my reply on the previous page.
Last edited by Ede07 on Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ede07
undertow

Post#104 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:17 pm

FlorreW wrote:
Ede07 wrote:
FlorreW wrote:Thanks allot for the info, I will try that <3

Did u achive something? I like ur idea too.

Hi there, no unfortunately not. I extracted the files but did not have a clue what program to view them in. So i couldn't try it out.

I tried different hex/text viewers. Ian Micheal said: "It's pretty hard you need linux toolchain to build it working "

So it's way out of my league :)

Oookay, so im out^^

Ghost 1
lithium

Post#105 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:11 pm

Hello,

For Golden axe redux, the game paused of an icon of presentation and speak about mapping how to enter the game ?

BLEEN
shadow

Post#106 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:34 pm

WedgeStratos wrote:Download the pack now! Salvo RC 2!
CDI for burning & GDemu
ISO for Dreamshell

Salvo RC 2 released!
Updated Gens4all core to 4.3, 240p video output available
Implemented gamelists for cleaner navigation, new menus
Emulator variables added to several games
NEW GAME: Improvement Hack > Mortal Kombat Arcade Edition
NEW GAME: Homebrew > Shrine Maiden Shizuka Demo 2 (Itch.io)
NEW GAME: Sonic Hack > Hellfire Saga
NEW GAME: Sonic Hack > Metal Sonic Rebooted
NEW GAME: Sonic Hack > SNOLF Tournament Edition
REMOVED: Improvement Hack > Alien 3 Survivor (catastrophic failure to Dreamcast)

Hi there! Amazing work on this emulator. Truly a marvel!

I just wanted to chime in – I recently picked up a CRT and the 240p option doesn't work. It stays in 480i mode no matter what. It's easy to tell because no scanlines get generated in 480i vs 240p mode.

Just thought you should know. I know you said you didn't have a CRT to test with so I tried it for ya.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#107 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:57 pm

BLEEN wrote:
CDI for burning & GDemu
ISO for Dreamshell

Salvo RC 2 released!
REMOVED: Improvement Hack > Alien 3 Survivor (catastrophic failure to Dreamcast)

I just wanted to chime in – I recently picked up a CRT and the 240p option doesn't work. It stays in 480i mode no matter what. It's easy to tell because no scanlines get generated in 480i vs 240p mode.

Just thought you should know. I know you said you didn't have a CRT to test with so I tried it for ya.

did you do this not enabled by default

You have to press Y before you press start or it will not work..

After seeing some of what was going on in the Gens4Dreams thread, I ended up making another small update. Here are the changes:
Non-interlaced 240p mode added. I think that on NTSC, ideally, the Dreamcast's interlace mode would match the Genesis's (with an option to force interlaced for displays that don't handle non-interlaced well), but that's more work than I want to do now. I looked at what the 240p Test Suite did when setting the video mode, and tried to replicate it. I haven't actually tested this out on a real TV, so it's off by default. To enable 240p, press Y on the title screen before pressing Start. Interlacing is still enabled in the loader.
Button map display. Press Y on the controls menu to show the button mappings for the highlighted layout.

got press Y before you press start or it will not work..

BLEEN
shadow

Post#108 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:12 am

Ian Micheal wrote:
BLEEN wrote:
CDI for burning & GDemu
ISO for Dreamshell

Salvo RC 2 released!

did you do this not enabled by default

You have to press Y before you press start or it will not work..

After seeing some of what was going on in the Gens4Dreams thread, I ended up making another small update. Here are the changes:
Non-interlaced 240p mode added. I think that on NTSC, ideally, the Dreamcast's interlace mode would match the Genesis's (with an option to force interlaced for displays that don't handle non-interlaced well), but that's more work than I want to do now. I looked at what the 240p Test Suite did when setting the video mode, and tried to replicate it. I haven't actually tested this out on a real TV, so it's off by default. To enable 240p, press Y on the title screen before pressing Start. Interlacing is still enabled in the loader.
Button map display. Press Y on the controls menu to show the button mappings for the highlighted layout.

got press Y before you press start or it will not work..

Yep. Of course. There's no difference between Interlace Off or On to my eyes. It's possible I'm timing it wrong while launching but I tried about 15 times and I didn't notice any difference at all besides the 'Interlace' text being there and not being there. The games look pretty good already but I know they'd look better @ 240p on my CRT. Does it work for you?

Thank you for the swift response!

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#109 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:47 pm

These titles don't load due to the Filename of the ROM being longer than 64 characters.

24345 , >:\games\Barver Battle Saga - Tai Kong Zhan Shi (Ch) [T+Eng1.00_Djinn+Ste

126675 , >:\games\Phantasy Star II - Amia's Adventure (SN) (J) [T+Eng20100710_MIJE
126740 , >:\games\Phantasy Star II - Anne's Adventure (SN) (J) [T+Eng20100710_MIJE
126805 , >:\games\Phantasy Star II - Huey's Adventure (SN) (J) [T+Eng20100710_MIJE
126870 , >:\games\Phantasy Star II - Kinds's Adventure (SN) (J) [T+Eng20100710_MIJ
126936 , >:\games\Phantasy Star II - Nei's Adventure (SN) (J) [T+Eng20100710_MIJET
127007 , >:\games\Phantasy Star II - Rudger's Adventure (SN) (J) [T+Eng20100710_MI
127072 , >:\games\Phantasy Star II - Shilka's Adventure (SN) (J) [T+Eng20100710_MI
127135 , >:\games\Phantasy Star II - Yushis's Adventure (SN) (J) [T+Eng20100710_MI

186454 , >:\games\Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Tournament Fighters (U) [c][!].zi

212758 , >:\games\World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck (U) [!].zi
Last edited by MoeFoh on Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Post#110 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:33 pm

MoeFoh wrote:These titles don't load due to the Filename of the ROM being longer than 64 characters.

126675 , >:\games\Phantasy Star II - Amia's Adventure (SN) (J) [T+Eng20100710_MIJE
126740 , >:\games\Phantasy Star II - Anne's Adventure (SN) (J) [T+Eng20100710_MIJE
126805 , >:\games\Phantasy Star II - Huey's Adventure (SN) (J) [T+Eng20100710_MIJE
126870 , >:\games\Phantasy Star II - Kinds's Adventure (SN) (J) [T+Eng20100710_MIJ
126936 , >:\games\Phantasy Star II - Nei's Adventure (SN) (J) [T+Eng20100710_MIJET
127007 , >:\games\Phantasy Star II - Rudger's Adventure (SN) (J) [T+Eng20100710_MI
127072 , >:\games\Phantasy Star II - Shilka's Adventure (SN) (J) [T+Eng20100710_MI
127135 , >:\games\Phantasy Star II - Yushis's Adventure (SN) (J) [T+Eng20100710_MI

186454 , >:\games\Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Tournament Fighters (U) [c][!].zi

212758 , >:\games\World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck (U) [!].zi

Oh bother! So the gamelist.bin has an internal character limit for filepaths Joliet limit. I didn't check for this because who would? At the very least, this rules out the possibility that it's caused by special characters not encoded correctly in zip format.

I will be preparing an RC 3 in the near future, there will be more software and hopefully more per-game fixes where necessary. Currently dealing with things in my life, so it must sadly sit on the backburner for now.
Last edited by WedgeStratos on Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.