Amiga CD16 Hardware

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

marchegiano
Quad Damage

Re: Amiga CD16 Hardware

Post#11 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:04 am

Thank you, all of you, for asking about this. It's helped pulled me out of a deep depression.

I'll begin today on the shell. I had started tinkering with a MadCatz MOJO prior but I think it's too out of date to be worth my time. I have an old RPi3, that will do, I am sure.

I will return tonight with a progress report.

Thanks again guys, might seem small to you all but to me it meant a lot that some folks out there have some interest in things I do and want me to get my sh!t together. I will try.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#12 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:49 am

I will as well with new titles and features and updated to all others to bring them up to new standard..

marchegiano
Quad Damage

Post#13 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:17 am

Sorry I missed last night

I have the rough clay and wax sculpt for the shell done but until I get something going with a pi or some such I can't hardly mold anything but the outside of the shell.

I'll start working on that today but I'll have my daughter from today until friday so probably won't get much of anything accomplished until saturday.

This is pretty cool. I quite enjoy the project.

marchegiano
Quad Damage

Post#14 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:00 pm

I dunno why I didn't show this off before.

I made this case a long time ago. It was originally meant to just be a simple Doom box but it grew into a horror themed general emu box pretty quickly.

https://imgur.com/LX72St9

https://imgur.com/BzocEeN

This is done, I still have the mold and if anyone wants a demon skull case just ask. I'd only charge you for the plastic I need to make one.

That said, today I'm messing with hardware. I've got the baby asleep and I've got an external burner, some SBCs, and some android devices. Something's gonna do what we want. Not sure which but really it should only take a few hours to figure out. I should have a decent update tomorrow.

marchegiano
Quad Damage

Post#15 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:08 pm

The daughter's kicked my ass. I only get a few hours and while the tinkering shouldn't take long by the time I set up one machine she's awake or I've fallen alseep at a loading screen.

Anyway, she's gone back to her mother's now. I'm gonna rest up and hit this hard tomorrow.

marchegiano
Quad Damage

Post#16 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:49 pm

20220611_142447.jpg

All bricked

I think it's to do with this being my first go flashing drives on windows 10. It isn't the flashing that's the issue, it's the reformatting that bricks them. I'll have to pick up some more and keep trying. I'm not real sure what's going on, but win10 in general has been like that for me. I'm going to revert back to 7 as soon as I can because things that are super easy in 7 seem to be difficult for 10. I don't even play modern games so I hardly care about new fancy 10+ direct Xs and such nonsense. It's just really frustrating trying to get things done you've done loads in 7.

Basically everything works but figuring out the best method requires trying different stuff which is why I was flashing and formating and flashing again. What I mean is could go with just a simple linux desktop build that boots directly into redream, or I could go with one of the many emulation stations out there, retropie, recalbox, lakka, etc.

Right now I'm leaning toward the emulation station emu OSes because they are easy to change out graphics so it shouldn't be too difficult to make some false Amiga screens and replace the stock graphics. Make it look like an Amia boot sequence and like the games are installed.

That does make the CD bay just for show, but eventually I'll get that sorted too. Definitely want to make it run off disc, kind of the whole point. Amiga CD16, has CD right in the name. I'm pretty sure it's as simple as telling ES to look for games on the disc drive and making sure every disk is always labeled the same. Probably just go with amiga cd16 game.

Anyway, cheers, progress is happening

marchegiano
Quad Damage

Post#17 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:16 am

Finally got a new card. Sorry about that. Back at it.

marchegiano
Quad Damage

Post#18 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:54 pm

I bought a new computer to put all my old win7 stuff on. I'm pretty sure win10 is what's holding me back. It've had weird glitches ever since converting over. Should not be too much longer before I can show a working build.