Almost a CD32??? CD stereo music running with uae4all auto boot 4.0 DEMO

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ian Micheal
Developer

Almost a CD32??? CD stereo music running with uae4all auto boot 4.0 DEMO

Post#1 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:51 am

Got cdda working as the adf files data loading is in virtual file system loading will not effect playing cd music.. also got button combo to turn off or on etc.. so this work really well with games with no music from the start.. so games can have full cd32 stereo music with no speed dip
for games with only sfx this will enhance them past a normal amiga emulator
taking advantage of reading from 2 places at once on stock console and using dma cdda
I can have sfx as well if the game does not support music etc we can turn amiga games into like neogeo cd prolly not what your after but very cool all the same to me
Tech demo :)

fafadou
Gold Lion

Re: Almost a CD32??? CD stereo music running with uae4all auto boot 4.0 DEMO

Post#2 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:34 am

the cdda master !
Next mario 64 ? ;-)

marchegiano
Quad Damage

Post#3 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:21 am

Mind blown :lol: I had thought before, I think it was Savage with one of your earlier uae builds, played ok but music was slow. I had just learned the CDDA deal with aes, I think it was aes4all solo booting, so I was thinking man wouldn't it be great if I could just export the music then import is back in using the cdda deal.

Then you only just go in do it like it wasn't a pipedream but rather just a Sunday. :lol:

I can't wait to give this a go.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#5 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:55 am

marchegiano wrote:Mind blown :lol: I had thought before, I think it was Savage with one of your earlier uae builds, played ok but music was slow. I had just learned the CDDA deal with aes, I think it was aes4all solo booting, so I was thinking man wouldn't it be great if I could just export the music then import is back in using the cdda deal.

Then you only just go in do it like it wasn't a pipedream but rather just a Sunday. :lol:

I can't wait to give this a go.

As krem showed with ussloader he could tick in this game turn music off we have sfx and cdda pretty much it's own thing could not get much better porting it another way lol music can play while any loading happens as well storing the afd files in virtual filesystem no stutter loading ether much faster system ram then a cdr or gdemu

Works very well takes 15 to 30% load off the emulator so much more speed with games with only sfx and or others where you choose sfx or music this really bring it up to being like neogeo cd machine..

i can have 10 tracks looping etc they will play one after the other since i cant change or add cdda trigger in amiga game like sm64 you could..

i have button to just turn on the music .. you can do some fancy long tracks like gta iii with timing to match games..

It works and i like it but the game would have no idea what track to play.. still very cool makes a lot of these better to me.. Very much so games that had no music only sfx or music and not both it's enhancement

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#6 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:31 pm

here the first Disposable Hero disk Ian, with the music turned off (and sfx on)
must be honest, on winuae seems running at same fps rate, no real benefit it seems
prolly it is still executed in the code, dunno
btw check it out, maybe on uae4all will change something

just the first disk, you can use the other two disks of the previous release because unchanged ;)

DispHero_disk1_nomusic.zip
(814.63 KiB) Downloaded 179 times

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#7 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:29 pm

kremiso wrote:here the first Disposable Hero disk Ian, with the music turned off (and sfx on)
must be honest, on winuae seems running at same fps rate, no real benefit it seems
prolly it is still executed in the code, dunno
btw check it out, maybe on uae4all will change something

just the first disk, you can use the other two disks of the previous release because unchanged ;)

DispHero_disk1_nomusic.zip

Because winuae is timing framerate by sound I'm not doing that SFX does not need the constant timing so i can ramp it up and sfx still sounds normal since where not using amiga music or mod music..

I will get a version for you all to test thank you kremiso ok works great thank you :) Btw works great just burned and tested

Not going to make change on normal code :) not bound by windows or uae4all how it was
I'm changing how sfx is played in the emulator etc You will see lol

Here is is running on Disposable Heroes - Amiga CD32 Gameplay
I can match this on dreamcast

marchegiano
Quad Damage

Post#8 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:23 pm

Yeah, I just got a chance to watch the video in a place where I can actually hear it. That's so amazing. I mean, I understood and I knew exactly what I should be hearing but still once you see Amiga games loading with music already playing it's different than just hearing or reading about it.

In my opinion what you've just done is thrown your uae miles ahead of any other being used for gaming. I did not even consider the entertainment quality of music during a load screen. Huge enhancement in my opinion

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#9 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:24 pm

Mate, with your recent developments you're going to make the Dreamcast the ultimate Amiga console too XD

I adored my Amiga, still have three of them, but there are some things that weren't great even back in the day. Having to choose between SFX and Music was a royal pain the arse. If you can get the emulator to play the SFX and then use CDDA to playback the music - you've essentially patched the most egregious issue with several Amiga titles (including Zool and Zool 2)!

Add to that the sterling work in individual self-booting Amiga titles for smoother/faster emulation - if these projects could be crossed over then we have the ultimate Amiga.

I have one question though, which is to do with the CDDA playback. Obviously the Music on the Amiga loaded unique tracks for different levels etc (if the game was built to do so). Take Zool 2 for example, you had the title screen music, the loading screen music and a different track per level and bonus stage.
Using this method, how would the game switch to a different CDDA track? Would it still be handled by the game (seems unlikely if its not part of the emulator) or would it be a manual selection via one of the Dreamcast controller buttons?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#10 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:37 pm

Roareye wrote:Mate, with your recent developments you're going to make the Dreamcast the ultimate Amiga console too XD

I adored my Amiga, still have three of them, but there are some things that weren't great even back in the day. Having to choose between SFX and Music was a royal pain the arse. If you can get the emulator to play the SFX and then use CDDA to playback the music - you've essentially patched the most egregious issue with several Amiga titles (including Zool and Zool 2)!

Add to that the sterling work in individual self-booting Amiga titles for smoother/faster emulation - if these projects could be crossed over then we have the ultimate Amiga.

I have one question though, which is to do with the CDDA playback. Obviously the Music on the Amiga loaded unique tracks for different levels etc (if the game was built to do so). Take Zool 2 for example, you had the title screen music, the loading screen music and a different track per level and bonus stage.
Using this method, how would the game switch to a different CDDA track? Would it still be handled by the game (seems unlikely if its not part of the emulator) or would it be a manual selection via one of the Dreamcast controller buttons?

Yes it would have to be handled by pressing a button ...thanks!!! I will have it where you can turn volume up and down and skip tracks :) So button like you thought.. no real way other wise .. at this point that i can think of ..

If you take 1 big track of 40 mins it will play thru all songs for example if they match what's happen... it would be just luck in the real world but it still does seem to be nice i have been trying it.. I Just got make this for the user to enjoy I will get it.. It's working well at this early stage :) It will be selfboot as i have to build the adf's into the bin file so this can work.. but that's not a big deal..

Emulator or amiga game would never know to switch tracks like that.. say you put the tracks in the order of the game.. it almost must fits like it should depending on how good you are at a game lol.. Not going to have switching tracks based on events ..

We can make radio station like track that is close.. never going to know what's going on in the games these games did not have cdda at all the code in the adf i can do anything with..

Hope that helps more for games that you had to chose in game sfx or music now you can have both for the first time..

Unlike something like sm64 where i could put triggers in the engine and rebuild the game src etc.. This enhancement more for games that only had 1 or the other in game..
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.