2023 Updated: The Current Status of Rizzo Island

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

rizzoislandgame
dark night

2023 Updated: The Current Status of Rizzo Island

Post#1 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:50 am

This thread will now be the news thread for Rizzo Island

Update (3/21/2023):

Hey Ya'll, long time no see! There have been a few updates since we last saw eachother so heres a breakdown!

If you don't follow on me on twitter, there are a few cool things going on with the project. I've started re-mapping 2 levels for optimization and touch ups. The first one, which has also been completed, was the Temple level. Right now I'm currently working on the Pirate level, and I finally finished up all the geometry for it. Having some framerate issues though. Might be able to fix them with some hint brushes and an engine recompile with the latest version of GLdc. Also optimized some texture loading. Why was I using 32x32 and 64x64 size textures for solid color textures lol. That should help with loading times.

Got someone still working on the engine. Can’t really say much about it yet because they are working on something interesting related to it, but might be cut if they can't figure it out.

Dreams of Mine is stagnating, but only thanks to my time working on Rizzo Island and my day job. I’m trying to write a design document for it so that me and my new partner can have an outline to follow to avoid feature creep and miscommunications. I want Dreams of Mine to go more smoothly than Rizzo Island.

I know I say this every year, but next year will probably be the release window for Rizzo Island. If I finish the design document for Dreams of Mine it might be the year after. Still currently trying to decide the pricing on Steam. It’s only an hour and 30 min game at most, and even though I’ve spent years making it, it’s not really worth more than $5 or $10 at most. Maybe I can make a $5 standard edition with only the PC game and $10 deluxe version with a Dreamcast disc image included. That way the pricing won’t be too much difference with a physical release. Wish I could have someone make a custom disc burning program for DC homebrew releases, so people won’t have to go out of their way to burn discs with DiscJuggler or ImgBurn. The latter includes adware in its installation if you download the wrong version.

Here is a sneak peak of the new level remap:

I'll see ya'll later!

David Croshaw
Founder and Lead Developer at Dreameater Games

Update (August 12, 2021):
I'm going to be honest with ya'll for a second... I really don't know what to do with the game anymore. I've just lost all motivation to work on it. It's been a combination of time, lack of inspiration, family issues with my Uncle's side of the family, overworking myself, frustration with my lack of abilities. My overambition of the game, starting the project as a noob and getting better over time, coupled with lack of programming and asset modeling, has basically halted all development. It's been awhile since I had the passion for development, and it's been hard feeling guilty for taking people's Patreon money without delivering an actual product. I might come back to game dev eventually. I have many more ideas, but honestly, after I get my QuakeC coder to finish up some cutscene code, I may just release it for 99 cents on Steam and http://itch.io and call it a day.

Next game, I will support the entire thing with only my own money, and try to be more focused and realistic in my vision. As a consolation to the Patreon supporters who have given me money over the years, I will make a special 1 time physical release of the game for them, with the possiblity of a wider release if there is any interest. As of now, I just want to fulfill my rewards to those backers. I want to apologize for everything. I just feel so terrible about it.

The most ironic part of all this, is that when I pitched the game to the DC community, I said it woldn't turn out like "In the Line of Fire." While I've probably done more with a game than they ever did with theirs, including commisioning and funding mrneo240 to port GLQuake to the DC under the nuQuake badge specifically for Rizzo Island, it still feels like a huge defeat. I will not go inactive however. I will still be posting updates about other projects I have done, any any updates on the final build and Steam release of Rizzo Island. Thank you all for supporting me, and I hope you can forgive me.

David Croshaw

Edit: Sorry y’all, that thing about “In the Line of Fire” was uncalled for, arrogant, and disrespectful. At the time I started the project though, that was still a big thought in everyone’s memory. It’s actually pretty much why everyone at the beginning of my project said I wouldn’t be able to get it done, because if Ph3nom couldn’t do it, no one could. It was a big put-down people threw on my project initially, since my project I believe was the first 3D project announced after that game (Even pre-dating Racing Legends), so I guess I kinda took it too personally when I shouldn’t have. I really shouldn’t have been so arrogant because look how my project ended up as well. I really respect Ph3nom though, because he was probably one of of not the best DC coders in the community for a long time, especially with his Quake III map demos. I’ll add this line in my top post for greater context.
Last edited by rizzoislandgame on Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

mstar
Doom

Re: The Current Status of Rizzo Island

Post#2 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:00 am

Try not to worry too much and most importantly, don't be too hard on yourself!

I suppose many people will be understanding - just take your time, try to take your mind off it and do whatever whenever you feel like doing it...

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#3 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:53 am

rizzoislandgame wrote:I'm going to be honest with ya'll for a second... I really don't know what to do with the game anymore. I've just lost all motivation to work on it. It's been a combination of time, lack of inspiration, family issues with my Uncle's side of the family, overworking myself, frustration with my lack of abilities. My overambition of the game, starting the project as a noob and getting better over time, coupled with lack of programming and asset modeling, has basically halted all development. It's been awhile since I had the passion for development, and it's been hard feeling guilty for taking people's Patreon money without delivering an actual product. I might come back to game dev eventually. I have many more ideas, but honestly, after I get my QuakeC coder to finish up some cutscene code, I may just release it for 99 cents on Steam and http://itch.io and call it a day.

Next game, I will support the entire thing with only my own money, and try to be more focused and realistic in my vision. As a consolation to the Patreon supporters who have given me money over the years, I will make a special 1 time physical release of the game for them, with th ye possiblity of a wider release if there is any interest. As of now, I just want to fulfill my rewards to those backers. I want to apologize for everything. I just feel so terrible about it.

The most ironic part of all this, is that when I pitched the game to the DC community, I said it woldn't turn out like "In the Line of Fire." While I've probably done more with a game than they ever did with theirs, including commisioning and funding mrneo240 to port GLQuake to the DC under the nuQuake badge specifically for Rizzo Island, it still feels like a huge defeat. I will not go inactive however. I will still be posting updates about other projects I have done, any any updates on the final build and Steam release of Rizzo Island. Thank you all for supporting me, and I hope you can forgive me.

David Croshaw

I was with you till you decided to tear down in the line of fire, that was unecessary. I hate to say it but phenom accomplished alot than you, don't take it as an insult. He made his tools and engine from scratch and it shows on how good it looks(that's not an easy feat, yours are based on quake) and pretty much reworked opengl from the ground up on Dreamcast to add alot more performance than it had seen in the past, even if it was replaced by another release.

Well I won't derail things further. Feel better but don't put other people down while doing so.

rizzoislandgame
dark night

Post#4 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:29 am

cloofoofoo wrote:
rizzoislandgame wrote:I'm going to be honest with ya'll for a second... I really don't know what to do with the game anymore. I've just lost all motivation to work on it. It's been a combination of time, lack of inspiration, family issues with my Uncle's side of the family, overworking myself, frustration with my lack of abilities. My overambition of the game, starting the project as a noob and getting better over time, coupled with lack of programming and asset modeling, has basically halted all development. It's been awhile since I had the passion for development, and it's been hard feeling guilty for taking people's Patreon money without delivering an actual product. I might come back to game dev eventually. I have many more ideas, but honestly, after I get my QuakeC coder to finish up some cutscene code, I may just release it for 99 cents on Steam and http://itch.io and call it a day.

Next game, I will support the entire thing with only my own money, and try to be more focused and realistic in my vision. As a consolation to the Patreon supporters who have given me money over the years, I will make a special 1 time physical release of the game for them, with th ye possiblity of a wider release if there is any interest. As of now, I just want to fulfill my rewards to those backers. I want to apologize for everything. I just feel so terrible about it.

David Croshaw

I was with you till you decided to tear down in the line of fire, that was unecessary. I hate to say it but phenom accomplished alot than you, don't take it as an insult. He made his tools and engine from scratch and it shows on how good it looks(that's not an easy feat, yours are based on quake) and pretty much reworked opengl from the ground up on Dreamcast to add alot more performance than it had seen in the past, even if it was replaced by another release.

Well I won't derail things further. Feel better but don't put other people down while doing so.

Yeah, that was uncalled for. At the time I started the project though, that was still a big thought in everyone’s memory. It’s actually pretty much why everyone at the beginning of my project said I wouldn’t be able to get it done, because if Ph3nom couldn’t do it, no one could. It was a big put-down people threw on my project initially, since my project I believe was the first 3D project announced after that game (Even pre-dating Racing Legends), so I guess I kinda took it too personally when I shouldn’t have. I really shouldn’t have been so arrogant because look how my project ended up as well. I really respect Ph3nom though, because he was probably one of of not the best DC coders in the community for a long time, especially with his Quake III map demos. I’ll add this line in my top post for greater context.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#5 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:25 pm

It's always depressing to see posts like this. First the dev of summoning signals now you.

Life events of last year and now this one have everyone down and stressed out. I hear that from your post more than anything. Take some time to get your mind right and house in order.

moi
blackout!

Post#6 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:11 am

Sad to hear about the cancellation. But that's life.
At least you've gained some experience for the future. Also, an unfinished game is better than no game.

It's always difficult to finish an ambitious project, especially if it's one's first.
Btw. I highly recommend this list on how to finish Quake projects:
https://web.archive.org/web/20140802112 ... .php?id=41

rizzoislandgame
dark night

Post#7 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:52 am

moi wrote:Sad to hear about the cancellation. But that's life.
At least you've gained some experience for the future. Also, an unfinished game is better than no game.

It's always difficult to finish an ambitious project, especially if it's one's first.
Btw. I highly recommend this list on how to finish Quake projects:
https://web.archive.org/web/20140802112 ... .php?id=41

Sorry for the late response! The project is now back on track! check the first post for a new update!