Dream Library Hacking

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

fraggle200
chill

Re: Dream Library Hacking

Post#11 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:24 am

Roareye wrote:
fraggle200 wrote:have you tried running any of the bin files through Ghidra? They've put a SH4 disassembler in there with the most recent version. I've had mixed results when poking about files with it but it could make life a little easier in being able to track down whats happening as the assembly code should be there to see instead of trying to work out what's happening through a hex editor.

I'll be honest, I've absolutely peaked my technical knowledge getting to this point. I don't know of Ghidra, how to run an SH4 disassembler, and I'm largely blind looking in the hex editor. My knowledge base is in film and cinematography, not coding.

If you are willing, I can send you the files. Would you be open to looking?

Fire me a link with the files and I'll take a look but I know nothing of SH4 assembly but I can at least run it through Ghidra to see if it can disassemble it and dish out something meaningful to someone.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#12 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:13 pm

bumping this one too.
:)

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#13 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:33 am

I've done some assembly hacking on a few Dreamcast games to remove the "valid ISP settings" checks, as well as some assembly hacking of Dream Passport 3 to remove the screensaver. I might be interested in looking at this one day in the future, but would like to understand something. Is the end goal here to modify Dream Library to pull its online game list from a custom URL (i.e., a community-hosted server containing a complete ROMset)?

If so, it's important to note that you'd need to understand exactly how the old servers sent game list data back to Dream Library. This means format of the list payload, and also the structure with which individual game ROMs are stored. In theory the disassembled executable can be used to figure that out, but would be very painful. Essentially you'd be first locating and then sifting through the assembly that assesses the response from the old server so that you can build your new server software to behave the same.

This, of course, would be far easier if the old server were still online and traffic between it and Dream Library could be sniffed and analyzed. Not a luxury you have, though!
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#14 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:32 pm

ateam wrote:I've done some assembly hacking on a few Dreamcast games to remove the "valid ISP settings" checks, as well as some assembly hacking of Dream Passport 3 to remove the screensaver. I might be interested in looking at this one day in the future, but would like to understand something. Is the end goal here to modify Dream Library to pull its online game list from a custom URL (i.e., a community-hosted server containing a complete ROMset)?

If so, it's important to note that you'd need to understand exactly how the old servers sent game list data back to Dream Library. This means format of the list payload, and also the structure with which individual game ROMs are stored. In theory the disassembled executable can be used to figure that out, but would be very painful. Essentially you'd be first locating and then sifting through the assembly that assesses the response from the old server so that you can build your new server software to behave the same.

This, of course, would be far easier if the old server were still online and traffic between it and Dream Library could be sniffed and analyzed. Not a luxury you have, though!

The pc engine emulator running offline with roms on the same disk would be awesome.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16210

colgate
Doom

Post#15 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:43 pm

Looking through the mega drive emulator's binary, I see some reference to a config or save file of some sorts: MD_EMU00.CFG, MD_EMU00.%03d. The emulator doesn't seem to save anything to the vmu though, have we found anything about this before?

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#16 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:21 am

colgate wrote:Looking through the mega drive emulator's binary, I see some reference to a config or save file of some sorts: MD_EMU00.CFG, MD_EMU00.%03d. The emulator doesn't seem to save anything to the vmu though, have we found anything about this before?

https://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 3#p1052213

colgate
Doom

Post#17 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:53 pm

SMiTH wrote:
colgate wrote:Looking through the mega drive emulator's binary, I see some reference to a config or save file of some sorts: MD_EMU00.CFG, MD_EMU00.%03d. The emulator doesn't seem to save anything to the vmu though, have we found anything about this before?

https://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 3#p1052213
Well back to the drawing board, thanks for posting it.