openMenu Alpha 1

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

mrneo240
Rank 9

Re: openMenu Alpha 1

Post#31 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:25 pm

FlorreW wrote:Very nice Mrneo , looks really fluid and nice

Thank you!

I know you want to help and contribute to not programming things but i feel incredibly guilty asking you anyone to do what i consider "busy work".

At this point that involves tagging and cataloging and finding all the cover art. Just know i appreciate the thought incredibly much!

FlorreW
Animated Violence

Post#32 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:47 pm

mrneo240 wrote:Thank you!

I know you want to help and contribute to not programming things but i feel incredibly guilty asking you anyone to do what i consider "busy work".

At this point that involves tagging and cataloging and finding all the cover art. Just know i appreciate the thought incredibly much!

Just know i appreciate that you are working on this menu incredibly much!

Is there a possibility you will add cover art for "the most common available GDI images that's unreleased games" as well ? I'm thinking of Half life/Propeller Arena etc

Ps don't feel guilty to ask if you need help. I'm sure I am not alone on this forum that would be happy to help you if we can :) Anyway great work , keep it up.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#33 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:37 am

FlorreW wrote:Is there a possibility you will add cover art for "the most common available GDI images that's unreleased games" as well ? I'm thinking of Half life/Propeller Arena etc

Yes, although i had forgot until just now.

FlorreW wrote:Ps don't feel guilty to ask if you need help. I'm sure I am not alone on this forum that would be happy to help you if we can :) Anyway great work , keep it up.

Thank you, the people deserve some eyecandy before they play the best games on earth. Also i have been learning a lot and its been a good exercise for me.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#34 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:33 am

Just to give a slight perspective on how awful the cover tagging is:

Heres the current (starting) depressing stats for JAP region games
Product IDs known: 647
Cover Art Images: 239
Properly Cataloged: 116

So...
roughly 1/6 of games have a known product ID and have the cover art.
roughly 2/3 of games dont even have a cover image

NeORomani
lithium

Post#35 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:07 am

Would it help that we can add the covers by ourselves? Just selecting an image from computer for each game
That would mean less work for you and more customization options (specially for those OpenBOR compilation games and other homebrew games that doesn't have an official cover)

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#36 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:15 am

NeORomani wrote:Would it help that we can add the covers by ourselves? Just selecting an image from computer for each game
That would mean less work for you and more customization options (specially for those OpenBOR compilation games and other homebrew games that doesn't have an official cover)

The tools for that should be coming soon but ideally openmenu would ship with as full a library of images as possible.

FlorreW
Animated Violence

Post#37 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:39 am

mrneo240 wrote:
NeORomani wrote:The tools for that should be coming soon but ideally openmenu would ship with as full a library of images as possible.

I like the idea that it should ship with "as full library of covers" possible. But in combination with a tool that lets you select cover art for different GDI:s (maybe even CDI:s in the future for the possibility to add homebrew) it's almost to good to be true.

It's refreshing as hell to see "open menu" when booting up, it's clean/fast and looks more modern then the old gdemu menu.

May I ask , even if it's probably far away atm ofc, the synopsis. Are they still in your mind to use ? If so I guess you want a short one based of the back cover of games that fits a certain amount of letters to fit.

That is also probably alot of info to gather , if it's still in mind , tell me the limitations of how big the synopsis should be and I can start slowly to build a document starting from games letter A forward ;)

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#38 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:50 pm

FlorreW wrote:May I ask , even if it's probably far away atm ofc, the synopsis. Are they still in your mind to use ? If so I guess you want a short one based of the back cover of games that fits a certain amount of letters to fit.

That is also probably alot of info to gather , if it's still in mind , tell me the limitations of how big the synopsis should be and I can start slowly to build a document starting from games letter A forward ;)

This is the official tagline? synopsis? for Sonic Adventure. Its a great general length.

Code: Select all

Buckle up and we're talking 5-point harness. Sonic the Hedgehog will propel your Dreamcast into warp-speed 3D adventure. Want Rings? We've got rings. Want chaos emeralds? We've got those too. You want insane graphics, huge levels, puzzles, hidden mini-games, multiple playable characters and more. Oh yeah! We've got it all.

Found here:
https://vgcollect.com/item/8347
and
https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/retro-gaming/dreamcast/games/products/sonic-adventure/10122558.html

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#39 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:11 pm

current updates might be slow for a few days, accidentally fried my vga -> hdmi converter (the best one i've ever had).
New one is on the way but until i get it i dont really have a way to debug on a dreamcast, emulator only.

Did manage to get this working properly and very fast:

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#40 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:14 pm

Epic!! Thanks amigo!