RetroDream V3 Released!

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

RetroDream V3 Released!

Post#1 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:00 am

RETRODREAM v3 [2021]
As many users know it is a game loader for those who use the operating system Dreamshell SD/HDD IDE (created by DC-SWAT from Russia). The original loader is ISO loader (created by user megavolt85) and this is another option for running the games with no need to use GDEmu or CD-R/GD-Roms, just SD or HDD.

splash.png
splash.png (8.12 KiB) Viewed 6719 times

It is good to know that now in this third RD version the users can watch video previews of each game displaying together with its cover. Also some menu animations were enhanced. Awesome work of our french mate Dragoncity and Cpasjuste.

It also includes a "Powershell" to create the accurate videos from the GDI file, a total new feature I personally waited so much to be included in a loader. Now it all looks like a Raspberry Pi menu. Just take a look!

retrodream-v3-menu.png

-The covers now are not placed in "covers" anymore and not in JPEG format anymore
-They are placed in ->RD/medias/box-2D/cover.png
-The video previews/snaps are placed in -> RD/medias/video-normalized/video.roq
-You can take screenshots of your games with: L+R+X. They will be saved in RD/screenshots
-When restart it loads menu in the last game played.
-Games formats are the same than Dreamshell ISO loader (because this is a Loader using Dreamshell system)
Many other options and enhanced items can be seen in Dragoncity web where he explain the developments

Tips:
JPEG Covers from DS/RD v1 or DS/RD v2 can be changed to PNG (requiered) simply by changing its extention for ".png" but the most easy and fast way is to convert them all with any Online mass converter JPG to PNG. Another way is look individually for a PNG HG quality pic (PNG are higher quality than JPEG) and do 256x256 required just using Paint (modify Pixels=256x256).

Critics:

-The only thing that can be a headache is the "roq" video format required! To convert it maybe a hard thing to do and not for the regular videogame user, and if you want to simply download them, they are not easy to find a video.roq ready to load in the loader just like mp4, avi o mpeg.
-The compatibility list for NTSC Dreamcast are being updated online here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1325176867

-The compatibility list for PAL Dreamcast are being updated online here: http://dreamshell.infos.st/

RetroDream V3 Download/Descarga: http://dragoncity17.free.fr/Dreamcast/RetroDream/

Videos Update: Download RD v3 video snaps/preview in roq format (+4Gb) [75% of the Dreamcast games snap videos are here if anyone wants to upload more is welcome!]

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/4mhnwDQb#6qGOVrCWdxeGG0Tc14CvqQ
Last edited by Ro Magnus Larsson on Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:54 am, edited 12 times in total.
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

fafadou
Gold Lion

Re: RetroDream V3 Released!

Post#2 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:51 am

I must update m'y HDD :-D

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#3 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:33 am

thats really sexy looking and pretty much what I've been wanting for gdemu. congrats to dragoncity!

capture a video

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#4 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:51 am

Is there a guide on how to make the videos right now for each game or homebrew app?

bshi02
dark night

Post#5 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:57 am

How can I migrate preset(memory address, loader number, so on) of each games from previous version of Retrodream to Retrodream V3?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#6 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:11 am

Ro Magnus Larsson wrote:Awesome work of our french mate Dragoncity.

It was actually developed by Cpasjuste. Dragoncity just puts together the pre-configured packages.

bshi02 wrote:How can I migrate preset(memory address, loader number, so on) of each games from previous version of Retrodream to Retrodream V3?

There's no need to migrate anything. If you're upgrading, you just replace the *.bin files in the root of the SD/CF/HDD with the new ones.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

aldair
Metallic

Post#7 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:32 pm

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#8 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:40 pm

aldair wrote:

very nice

MastaG
Quad Damage

Post#9 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:12 pm

Thanks for this !
Will be upgrading my CF soon.

zychion
rebel

Post#10 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:20 am

Just in case anyone else is trying, I don't think you can run Retrodream from an SD card while having your games stored on a IDE HDD anymore. I think it all has to be from the IDE.

Update: Upon further inspection, you can no longer use JPG's as covers any longer.
Last edited by zychion on Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.