Virtua Fighter 3 and Modding Capabilities

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Re: Virtua Fighter 3 and Modding Capabilities

Post#31 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:49 pm

shelcoof wrote:
beanboy wrote:I think that is one of the reasons, why some Fighting Vipers fans were not happy with the sequel, that was released and ported onto the dreamcast. Some seemed to call it a rushed poor mans port. Also, I like sega's graphical style, but imagine if Fighting Vipers 2, graphically looked a bit close to DOA2 on the dreamcast. :shock:

Huge reason why the FV2 community weren't happy were due to the inbalanced bugs that made certian characters S tier. Read about it ages ago

Regarding Virtua Fighter 3 on the Dreamcast. The polygon count was much lower on the Dreamcast but other than that from my own experience lookes and plays identical to the arcade. I could really tell with the lower polygon count but it was very close to what the arcade looked like.

Fighting vipers 2 favors heavy characters , it's not glitch, that's just how the game plays( if anything play the arcade version and you will the gameplay is 100% intact). If anything the glitches are in the finishers animation is broken for a few of them. The graphics on the other hand crazy downgraded, their armored forms lost a lot of polygons( I would estimate half) , stages where chopped off ( replaced with 2d images, buildings missing sides , one stage completely redone to remove tower even though camera still behaves like tower is present and list goes on). Some lighting was removed.This was a far worse effort than Virtua fighter 3 despite being handled my am2.

Virtua fighter 3 genki admitted that it had reach 90% of the polygon count than the model 3 version, that's not MUCH unlike fighting vipers 2 chopping everything in half or worse. The backgrounds seem to be pretty intact except for some Faraway detail. The biggest impact imo is the stage texture quality and the lowered polygon count of the characters and the removal of some clothing physics.

I'll probably look deeper into vf3 next.

Dirge Of Ram
Graffiti Grind

Post#32 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:29 am

With your program on your DoA 2 part can you reconstruct the levels The Koku-an Jan Lee cutscene and Bamboo Forest to there PS2 counterparts?

Virtua Fighter 3 and Dead Or Alive 2 plays well using SD Adaptor via Retrodream having new things with newly made gdi would be great. Plain Flies too.

celsowm
shadow

Post#33 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:43 pm

cloofoofoo wrote:
shelcoof wrote:
beanboy wrote:I think that is one of the reasons, why some Fighting Vipers fans were not happy with the sequel, that was released and ported onto the dreamcast. Some seemed to call it a rushed poor mans port. Also, I like sega's graphical style, but imagine if Fighting Vipers 2, graphically looked a bit close to DOA2 on the dreamcast. :shock:

Huge reason why the FV2 community weren't happy were due to the inbalanced bugs that made certian characters S tier. Read about it ages ago

Regarding Virtua Fighter 3 on the Dreamcast. The polygon count was much lower on the Dreamcast but other than that from my own experience lookes and plays identical to the arcade. I could really tell with the lower polygon count but it was very close to what the arcade looked like.

Fighting vipers 2 favors heavy characters , it's not glitch, that's just how the game plays( if anything play the arcade version and you will the gameplay is 100% intact). If anything the glitches are in the finishers animation is broken for a few of them. The graphics on the other hand crazy downgraded, their armored forms lost a lot of polygons( I would estimate half) , stages where chopped off ( replaced with 2d images, buildings missing sides , one stage completely redone to remove tower even though camera still behaves like tower is present and list goes on). Some lighting was removed.This was a far worse effort than Virtua fighter 3 despite being handled my am2.

Virtua fighter 3 genki admitted that it had reach 90% of the polygon count than the model 3 version, that's not MUCH unlike fighting vipers 2 chopping everything in half or worse. The backgrounds seem to be pretty intact except for some Faraway detail. The biggest impact imo is the stage texture quality and the lowered polygon count of the characters and the removal of some clothing physics.

Can you convert to .obj too and post here? I would like to try to import to saturn using Joengine

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#34 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:51 pm

Dirge Of Ram wrote:With your program on your DoA 2 part can you reconstruct the levels The Koku-an Jan Lee cutscene and Bamboo Forest to there PS2 counterparts?

Virtua Fighter 3 and Dead Or Alive 2 plays well using SD Adaptor via Retrodream having new things with newly made gdi would be great. Plain Flies too.

Its not my program but written by another member here called naomilib, i take no credit. Iam not sure what youre requesting but the kokuan is incomplete in the dreamcast version, The interior is fully modeled but the exterior garden is not present. Its stage 44 in the files if you wish to do a simple file swap. Most likely it will crash. I got it to boot that stage many years ago but I forgot what I swapped.

Dreamcast version koku-an( 9,752 polygons)

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#35 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:01 pm

celsowm wrote:
cloofoofoo wrote:
shelcoof wrote:

Can you convert to .obj too and post here? I would like to try to import to saturn using Joengine

For characters I would rather not because it super tedious to rebuilt object by object or polygon by polygon. Just rebuilding bahn took a long time and he was " simple". And since nothing is welded its not animation ready, also i dont extract texture. Well at least ill give you the obj to the hong kong rooftop stage from virtua fighter 3. The characters are about the same as FV2 but the stages are higher detailed, seems genki overall did better model 3 ports than am2. Ill include the stage as an attachment. Its amazing that considering the low polygon count(compared to native dreamcast games) of the model 3 ports it gave them so much trouble. I guess the model 3 is just super different architecture wise from the dc.

vf3stg09.7z
(96.28 KiB) Downloaded 333 times

Vritua fighter 3 stage hong kong roof top(5,523 polygons)

Dirge Of Ram
Graffiti Grind

Post#36 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:27 am

cloofoofoo wrote:
Dirge Of Ram wrote:With your program on your DoA 2 part can you reconstruct the levels The Koku-an Jan Lee cutscene and Bamboo Forest to there PS2 counterparts?

Its not my program but written by another member here called naomilib, i take no credit. Iam not sure what youre requesting but the kokuan is incomplete in the dreamcast version, The interior is fully modeled but the exterior garden is not present. Its stage 44 in the files if you wish to do a simple file swap. Most likely it will crash. I got it to boot that stage many years ago but I forgot what I swapped.

Dreamcast version koku-an( 9,752 polygons)

That Awesome picture love to see more. Wondering if was possible to port over the PS2 levels to Dreamcast using the two incomplete one. More simple to Hex Swap the levels to play but I don't know the value number nor Tina Catwalk stage.

I posted on Mr Green Ranger DoA 2 Final topic with a update to his cdi here.

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=7562&start=70

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#37 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:11 am

celsowm wrote:
cloofoofoo wrote:
shelcoof wrote:

Look at this, Not done but building up lau from vf3. Even unfinished he is higher polygon than bahn from fv2. I dont think i will finish it, cant seem to find the missing bits. I am guessing once finished it will be closer to 4K polygons . Another comparison scorpion from MKGold is 4,200 polygons, just to put into perspective, I guess they are closer in specs than we thought.

VF3 Lau:

MKGOLD - scorpion

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#38 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:00 pm

Well still playing around withthe tools. Messing in sports jam. I got the master of ceremonies model for both his announcer role and gameplay. His announcer mesh is extremely detailed 10,754 triangles while his gameplay mesh is,2,186 triangles, very efficient modeling that keeps his look consistent with the higher poly model.

Gameplay:

Announcer:

beanboy
Wazza

Post#39 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:45 pm

Wow! That is some really cool info.

ZTylerDurden
lithium

Post#40 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:26 pm

Super interesting seeing this.

The VF3 poly counts look pretty good! I'm wondering if folks paid too much attention to the lower res textures and assumed the rest was low quality effort.

For me, all that needs fixing are the textures (Jeffry stage moon texture is a big one for example). Ignorance is bliss for me not minding too much about the lower poly counts. Other folks I know are much more keen on seeing the difference.