Virtua Fighter 3 and Modding Capabilities

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

ZTylerDurden
lithium

Virtua Fighter 3 and Modding Capabilities

Post#1 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:45 am

I gotta ask since I've seen some super impressive innovations in this community.

Would it be possible to modify the GDI for VF3 to add the arcade version's superior textures/graphical effects? I've read that the DC is more than capable to support those missing graphics.

I'm in no way familiar with the modding process but I've seen some magical stuff done by this community. Would you have to reverse engineer the whole game in order to do that?

beanboy
Wazza

Re: Virtua Fighter 3 and Modding Capabilities

Post#2 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:52 am

I think it might be possible to do something, that is about 80% close to the arcade version.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#3 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:27 pm

beanboy wrote:I think it might be possible to do something, that is about 80% close to the arcade version.

What? According to genki the game is about 90% polygon count accurate to the arcade version despite not even having finished Dreamcast tools when they started porting. It's alot closer to the arcade version than fighting vipers 2 was to it's arcade version ported by am2 themselves in 2001.

ZTylerDurden
lithium

Post#4 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:34 pm

It was probably a conservative estimate since the game looks noticeably subpar.

Motoracer5
blackout!

Post#5 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:41 pm

VF3 on dreamcast was very close to the arcade version. Maybe you have it confused with VF4?

https://youtu.be/FJsdwrrOoTg

ZTylerDurden
lithium

Post#6 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:02 pm

As similar as it looks there's some tough love history with this port. Even back when the internet wasn't so cohesive it got bashed by reviewers and gamers alike. They wanted a perfect port to show off the DC's prowess.

When Soul Calibur and DOA2 proved the DC's ability to match/exceed arcade versions, VF3 was shunned down.

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#7 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:14 pm

The biggest problem in the game is the modeling of the fighters, which is very rudimentary. It would be interesting if there was some way to edit the polygonal models by adding polygonal improvement.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:43 pm

Like I mentioned in the VF4 Dreamcast thread, a person has actually figured out how to add custom models to Naomi games. This technique should be similar for many Dreamcast games.

So actually what the future holds may be really amazing. I would say custom models are highly probable.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#9 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:14 pm

ZTylerDurden wrote:As similar as it looks there's some tough love history with this port. Even back when the internet wasn't so cohesive it got bashed by reviewers and gamers alike. They wanted a perfect port to show off the DC's prowess.

When Soul Calibur and DOA2 proved the DC's ability to match/exceed arcade versions, VF3 was shunned down.

It was bashed because despite being vf game it was already old hat by the time it came. Soul Calibur is a cool game but saying it has more detail over vf3 shows your not looking at it closely. Soul Calibur exceeds in lighting not detail, the character models are super simplistic( lower polygon count Im sure) and so are the backgrounds, detail wise itdoesnt touch vf3. Vf3 artstyle for all it's polygoncount is just ugly as sin and it's modeled badly, even the arcade version. Dead or live 2 in untouchable on the DC, nothing really come close.

People seem to be easy to trick. For example a lot believe fighting vipers 2 another 3 port done directly by am2 , is arcade perfect or close to when compared to vf3. That's the furthest from the truth, am2 fared alot worse than genki despite their prowess and having mature tools. They chopped pieces of stages an replaced with 2d landscapes , character detail was halved( they did model them slot better so it was easier to hide), lighting was modified heavily. I don't see that game getting criticism. Vf3 shits all over it despite only having to be ported to Naomi then to incomplete DC tools in just a few months.

Lan-Di
Anarki

Post#10 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:17 pm

cloofoofoo wrote:
ZTylerDurden wrote:As similar as it looks there's some tough love history with this port. Even back when the internet wasn't so cohesive it got bashed by reviewers and gamers alike. They wanted a perfect port to show off the DC's prowess.

It was bashed because despite being vf game it was already old hat by the time it came. Soul Calibur is a cool game but saying it has more detail over vf3 shows your not looking at it closely. Soul Calibur exceeds in lighting not detail, the character models are super simplistic( lower polygon count Im sure) and so are the backgrounds, detail wise itdoesnt touch vf3. Vf3 artstyle for all it's polygoncount is just ugly as sin and it's modeled badly, even the arcade version. Dead or live 2 in untouchable on the DC, nothing really come close.

People seem to be easy to trick. For example a lot believe fighting vipers 2 another 3 port done directly by am2 , is arcade perfect or close to when compared to vf3. That's the furthest from the truth, am2 fared alot worse than genki despite their prowess and having mature tools. They chopped pieces of stages an replaced with 2d landscapes , character detail was halved( they did model them slot better so it was easier to hide), lighting was modified heavily. I don't see that game getting criticism. Vf3 shits all over it despite only having to be ported to Naomi then to incomplete DC tools in just a few months.

That's the truth!!!