Virtua Fighter 3 and Modding Capabilities

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Motoracer5
blackout!

Re: Virtua Fighter 3 and Modding Capabilities

Post#21 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:54 am

ZTylerDurden wrote:
beanboy wrote:This guy made some HD textures for VF3tb on the dreamcast. As you can see the game looks alot better with these nicer textures. He even did some for Soul Calibur and Powerstone 1 and 2. Check them out.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11614

Looks good. These are upscaled 2x/4x textures that a DC probably won't execute. It's more about swapping the ones from the arcade version into the DC.

Yeah, those texture mods only work on emulators

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#22 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:41 pm

Mostly reconstructed the opera stage from doa 2, i got tired so its missing minute things but its mostly there. Its 10,000 polygons. Just a quick comparison to Virtua fighter 4 , by sega own numbers each character on naomi 2 was 14,000 triangles and the stages were around 50,000 triangles. On dead or alive 2 on the dreamcast the characters seem to be around 8,000 polygons each which is in the neighborhood on Virtua fighter 4 ps2 version character of 7,000 polygons.(it was mentioned sega halved the polygon count for the port). I guess a port would have been possible but with massive rework to the background to be downgraded massively.

mkandersson1082
MegaDeath

Post#23 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:12 am

Some genius modder needs to bring Scud Race to the DC...One can dream.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#24 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:30 am

Was looking through virtua striker 2. The players are stored together with their lod its gonna take a while to look through that. Found the stadium but for some reason cant seem to find the grass just the stadium itself. Its around 8,600 triangles. Might have to change blender version , doesnt seem stable in the version iam on.

beanboy
Wazza

Post#25 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:03 pm

Wow! Nice digging cloofoofoo.

So 10,000 polys for the DOA2 opera stage? Wow!

And the fact that the dreamcast DOA2 character polycount, is close and a bit higher, than the PS2 VF4 character polycount, says alot.

Also, I'm glad you did the Virtua Striker stadium too. I was always curious about the polycount of that stadium. This definitely gives us an insight, about how many polys sega and tecmo used, when modelling objects and characters, for the dreamcast.

cloofoofoo wrote:i got tired so its missing minute things but its mostly there.

Understandable.

VincentNL
core

Post#26 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:46 pm

You are doing an amazing work!
If you encounter more game which are not listed please keep up reporting or send me a PM :)
If you like my work or just want to show some love:
https://ko-fi.com/vincentnl
https://www.patreon.com/VincentNL

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#27 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:44 pm

Really interesting work Cloofoofoo. As an aside does anyone know what DC game throws around the most polygons on screen. Is it DOA2 - maybe LeMans or even Crazy Taxi?

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#28 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:54 pm

VincentNL wrote:You are doing an amazing work!
If you encounter more game which are not listed please keep up reporting or send me a PM :)

Ok no prob. Thank you for the great set of tools. I do have more games to report. Ill still reiterate some.

Virtua striker 2 - ( players have to be manually assembled and lod are packed in same file making it kinda impossible without spending lots of time on it. Stages are easy to assemble as it seems it piece keeps its x,y,z coordinates, just load piece by pice.)

Daytona usa 2001 - Stages same as virtua striker 2 just go down the list and assemble piece by piece. Car body actually have multiple copies per file(probably for "multitexture purpose") but are to assemble since like the tracks remember x,y,z coordinates.

Ah my goddess stay on fighting wings(dreamcast) - The stages/ backgrounds are super easy since most of them seem to be saved as one piece including shadows and load all at once(need to test further). The character on the other hand have to be assembled and it seems the faces use morph targets for animation , so lots of copies. They seem to be really high poly(4K to 6K triangles).

Cyber angel mahjong - Shangri la (dreamcast) - seems to partially use it. Uses it for the tiles , table , skybox and some stick but cant seem to get the characters with the tools.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#29 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:15 pm

This why i have no faith in am2 doing a proper port of virtua fighter 4 , given this port of fighting viper 2 was released 2001. I finally managed to assemble a character as long time of manually putting it together. I DOUBT I ll do this again for this game since the unarmored version is stored with the armored version. Interestingly the unarmored version was more detailed ( resembles arcade version more)so I went with that(the face, musculature }. Bahn unarmored is 2,800 triangles , means you can stack 2 fighting vipers character together and still be !,000 to 2,000 polygons short of a single doa 2 character. The stages arent that much higher than the characters and seem to be have been massively butchered compared to the arcade version cant show yet since iam not finished assembling. Despite having such low count for a fighting game it still has slowdown on a real console, makes me wonder if maybe something behind the scene like physics or something else is holding it back. Iam willing to bet if I get to the virtua figher 3 stages they are probably slightly more detailed as are the characters and that was ported by genki.

Dreamcast:

ARcade:

shelcoof
rebel

Post#30 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:17 am

beanboy wrote:I think that is one of the reasons, why some Fighting Vipers fans were not happy with the sequel, that was released and ported onto the dreamcast. Some seemed to call it a rushed poor mans port. Also, I like sega's graphical style, but imagine if Fighting Vipers 2, graphically looked a bit close to DOA2 on the dreamcast. :shock:

Huge reason why the FV2 community weren't happy were due to the inbalanced bugs that made certian characters S tier. Read about it ages ago

Regarding Virtua Fighter 3 on the Dreamcast. The polygon count was much lower on the Dreamcast but other than that from my own experience lookes and plays identical to the arcade. I could really tell with the lower polygon count but it was very close to what the arcade looked like.