Naomi and Naomi 2 conversion

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

ShindouGo
Power Stone

Re: Naomi and Naomi 2 conversion

Post#11 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:35 pm

We can also see it from another point of view : are there "little games" Naomi which would not have to use all the capacities (CPU and RAM) of the machine, and which could be converted on Dreamcast .

It is quite obvious to everyone that when you watch a game like Sushi Bar on Atomiswave, it does not require as many resources (CPU and RAM) as a game like Dolphin Blue for example.

RaptorZX3
shadow

Post#12 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:49 am

Well, if somebody can measure how much of the different RAM the game can take maximum. For example, not all games take all of the available RAM on the console. Kinda like how many PS2 games are on DVD, but many doesn't take the entirety of the DVD's available space, taking 1gb or 2gb out of the 4.7gb

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#13 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:32 am

Even if it uses 20% of it the program still is built to look for all of it.. and the hardware dev kit sets up all the memory etc.. so even if the game uses 1% it still needed to be on that said hardware as it's compiled for that enviro..

Try running a program built for 32mb mod for dreamcast on 16mb dreamcast etc..

first you have to solve that problem as every one of the games when it runs still checks it has all the ram it dont matter if it uses it or not..

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#14 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:22 am

Ian Micheal wrote:Even if it uses 20% of it the program still is built to look for all of it.. and the hardware dev kit sets up all the memory etc.. so even if the game uses 1% it still needed to be on that said hardware as it's compiled for that enviro..

first you have to solve that problem as every one of the games when it runs still checks it has all the ram it dont matter if it uses it or not..

Thank you for inserting actual logic to this. Not to mention even if it doesn't use all the ram it might store things in the memory ranges that might not even exist on Dreamcast due to different ram amounts. It will take reprogramming with source code at hand to change.

Motoracer5
blackout!

Post#15 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:24 am

Ian Micheal wrote:Even if it uses 20% of it the program still is built to look for all of it.. and the hardware dev kit sets up all the memory etc.. so even if the game uses 1% it still needed to be on that said hardware as it's compiled for that enviro..

I'm not sure if these people that insist Naomi games will run on the Dreamcast will ever stop. Maybe it will be better to take it as entertainment and let them keep banging their heads against the wall

megavolt85
Developer

Post#16 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:34 am

cloofoofoo wrote:Not to mention even if it doesn't use all the ram it might store things in the memory ranges that might not even exist on Dreamcast due to different ram amounts.

I will even say more, absolutely all NAOMI games use the 8C000000 8DFFFFFF range

if someone has disassembly skills and about a year of free time to port one game, then welcome, but it will definitely not be me

yzb
Developer

Post#17 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:18 am

megavolt85 wrote:
cloofoofoo wrote:Not to mention even if it doesn't use all the ram it might store things in the memory ranges that might not even exist on Dreamcast due to different ram amounts.

I will even say more, absolutely all NAOMI games use the 8C000000 8DFFFFFF range

if someone has disassembly skills and about a year of free time to port one game, then welcome, but it will definitely not be me

It certainly won't be me :mrgreen:

so, if any friend can transplant a naomi game, then maybe I will follow up~ :mrgreen:

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Post#18 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:57 am

yzb wrote:
megavolt85 wrote:

It certainly won't be me :mrgreen:

so, if any friend can transplant a naomi game, then maybe I will follow up~ :mrgreen:

Transplant? a new technique ? so try to transplantate SEGA Chihiro games to Dreamcast please! :lol:
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

Hariainm
shadow

Post#19 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:01 pm

What about porting games who fit in memory using some api calls wrapper (projects like DXVK or like how GTA San Andreas android version got ported to psvita)
Don't know how much memory footprint this translation layer will have or if it will be fast enough, but not thinking about complexity... is this technically possible? Games like Melty Blood were planned to get dreamcast port but scrapped in the last minute

Motoracer5
blackout!

Post#20 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:10 pm

Hariainm wrote:What about porting games who fit in memory using some api calls wrapper (projects like DXVK or like how GTA San Andreas android version got ported to psvita)
Don't know how much memory footprint this translation layer will have or if it will be fast enough, but not thinking about complexity... is this technically possible? Games like Melty Blood were planned to get dreamcast port but scrapped in the last minute

Need source code. I'm not sure if there is source for any naomi games floating around