Dreamcast Games Translation - Megathread

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

ateam
Heroine Console

Re: Dreamcast Games Translation - Megathread

Post#71 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:15 pm

Gertso wrote:Praying someone eventually does Sega Tetris but great work regardless.

I actually make take a crack at this one, as it's a neat iteration of this classic game. SEGA Tetris has long been a go-to for me.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

fraggle200
chill

Post#72 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:22 am

Hey Rolly, not sure if this should go in this list or not as it looks like a Chinese translation but seems that YZB is involved in a translation group and they're doing Tokyo Bus Guide as well as some MD and SS games.

http://sgcn.games/gamedetail.html?id=7

Makes me wish someone was doing an Eng version as well. :(

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#73 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:09 pm

I found a quote from comradesnarky from 9 years ago....

One other thing that we can't get working (that I'm actually pretty upset about) is a translation of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure For Matching Service so people could play the game in English and in VGA. I have no idea where they hid the text.

I humbly ask all you gurus here to help find this text and get this game translated.

fraggle200
chill

Post#74 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:59 am

dubcity wrote:I found a quote from comradesnarky from 9 years ago....

One other thing that we can't get working (that I'm actually pretty upset about) is a translation of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure For Matching Service so people could play the game in English and in VGA. I have no idea where they hid the text.

I humbly ask all you gurus here to help find this text and get this game translated.

I took a poke around the PVR files and there's a lot of Kanji in there as gfx. A lot like how Bass Rush Dream is but nowhere near the same amount of them. I'd still bet there's a load hidden in some of those bin files that are in there as well but I'll be damned if I know how to start extracting from them to even find out. Spose that's what the professionals are for.

EDIT: took a look at the 95JOJO.bin with a hex editor that's in the root of the files and all the story dialogue is in there for the english version but the addresses before it and after it are more or less joined on the FMS version. I have a feeling that the story text is in here somewhere but it was getting late and HxD doesn't do a lot of stuff around Kanji and I wasn't willing to spend more time on this to get a hexeditor that may be able to display the chars as a string. I did run it through Ghidra in the hope something would stick out but yet again there's chunks of data about 2/3 of the way through the file that do look like they may be what's needed but I'm nowhere near skilled enough to be able to know if that's the case or not.
I also edited the Title screen as a quick POC which runs fine, if a bit sloppy looking on my editing skills. There's not many gfx files that are Eng specific but there are some and side by side with the PVR viewer you can clearly see what ones to replace to get at least some very minor English translations. I would think that Character names and story text are the 2 big things needing done here and the Translation would be more or less done. you get a very nice comparison with the USA version if you look at both side by side so you can at least know which folders to exclude with all the FMS stuff... those are also the ones with the most Gfx files in them.

POC title.png

M@nGO
noob

Post#75 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:27 am

Hello, I have an idea about translating deSpiria to practice my language skills. I have .bin and .cue files (Redream emulator opens them). However, when i try to edit them using any tool (Notepad++ or MadEdit) the encoded text is full of unreadable chracters. I tried changing multiple encodings, but to no avail. What can be done in such situation? Will it be better to convert those files into GDI for further work?

fraggle200
chill

Post#76 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:42 am

M@nGO wrote:Hello, I have an idea about translating deSpiria to practice my language skills. I have .bin and .cue files (Redream emulator opens them). However, when i try to edit them using any tool (Notepad++ or MadEdit) the encoded text is full of unreadable chracters. I tried changing multiple encodings, but to no avail. What can be done in such situation? Will it be better to convert those files into GDI for further work?

You'll need to extract the actual files from the image file first of all. I'd suggest starting with the TOSEC GDI image rather than, what I assume is, a Redump Bin/Cue image. Most tools will only work with GDI and the Redump standards changed to Bin/Cue a while back as they weren't happy with some of the offsets in the GDI format. a quick search in archive.org for manydumpedgames will turn up what you need.

Anyway, once you have your GDI. I suggest getting the tool set that Rolly has posted in the first post. then run GDI2data with your GDI to get the files that would have existed on the disc.
then you'll be able to start poking about things. Most people use a PVR viewer for images (there's also PVR plugins for photoshop and paint.net out there) or a hex editor for the binaries to do this but with the most recent release of Ghidra there's a SH4 disassembler so there's a chance we may be able to disassemble some of these files so that we can see the assembly code within them which means we can easily rebuild them how we want.... as long as the person doing it understands SH4 assembly etc etc etc.

I'm absolutely not an expert in this stuff at all but I've had a nosey through a few games to see what is possible or to see how difficult it could be and that's more or less what I've done. I don't think there's a hard and fast guide out there for doing this stuff which is a pity as it would be pretty helpful if there was.

M@nGO
noob

Post#77 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:55 am

fraggle200 wrote:
M@nGO wrote:Hello, I have an idea about translating deSpiria to practice my language skills. I have .bin and .cue files (Redream emulator opens them). However, when i try to edit them using any tool (Notepad++ or MadEdit) the encoded text is full of unreadable chracters. I tried changing multiple encodings, but to no avail. What can be done in such situation? Will it be better to convert those files into GDI for further work?

You'll need to extract the actual files from the image file first of all. I'd suggest starting with the TOSEC GDI image rather than, what I assume is, a Redump Bin/Cue image. Most tools will only work with GDI and the Redump standards changed to Bin/Cue a while back as they weren't happy with some of the offsets in the GDI format. a quick search in archive.org for manydumpedgames will turn up what you need.

Anyway, once you have your GDI. I suggest getting the tool set that Rolly has posted in the first post. then run GDI2data with your GDI to get the files that would have existed on the disc.
then you'll be able to start poking about things. Most people use a PVR viewer for images (there's also PVR plugins for photoshop and paint.net out there) or a hex editor for the binaries to do this but with the most recent release of Ghidra there's a SH4 disassembler so there's a chance we may be able to disassemble some of these files so that we can see the assembly code within them which means we can easily rebuild them how we want.... as long as the person doing it understands SH4 assembly etc etc etc.

I'm absolutely not an expert in this stuff at all but I've had a nosey through a few games to see what is possible or to see how difficult it could be and that's more or less what I've done. I don't think there's a hard and fast guide out there for doing this stuff which is a pity as it would be pretty helpful if there was.

Thank You very much^^ Your reply helps a lot. Now i know at least what to do) I will try to obtain the GDI image and use the tools to extract the files. I will pick other stuff on the way :3

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#78 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:29 am

Just wanted to correct an error I previously made by stating that "Yu Suzuki Game Works - Vol. 1" was an English translation. I have no idea how this ended up on my list, but since a fair bit of the game itself is in English, I didn't question it.

I did a recursive checksum comparison and can confirm that it's identical to the NTSC-J release. You can remove it :D
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

Prukogui
lithium

Post#79 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:47 am

Sword of the Berserk - Guts' Rage in spanish by Jackic

http://jackicblog.blogspot.com/2021/11/ ... o.html?m=1

Prukogui
lithium

Post#80 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:56 pm

Greetings.
I am compiling translations into Spanish from different consoles, Dreamcast included.
I leave the link here:

https://archive.org/details/romhacking- ... ast_202202
Last edited by Prukogui on Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.