Dreamcast Games Translation - Megathread

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

fraggle200
chill

Re: Dreamcast Games Translation - Megathread

Post#121 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:08 am

dubcity wrote:How are everyone's translations coming along? Panzer Front has released. We got surprise releases of Chaos Field, Radirgy and Yukawa's Treasure Hunt. I know Rent-A-Hero and Nakaruru are close. What about everyone else?

I keep trying to get time to look at JOJOs FMS ( so we can have a VGA version with english text) but never seem to find the time. Might just wait till Dereks' finished with Nakaruru before taking him up on his offer to have a look at some stuff on it as the last few times I've just hit a dead end but I'm looking at it so sporadically I'm struggling to remember where I got to when I last had a look.

derplayer
shadow

Post#122 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:27 pm

Elias wrote:Hi all. Above in the topic there is a screenshot of the game with the translation "Panzer Front" where you can see how the program is used "GSMT - generic sjis manipulation tools". Can anyone tell me more about her? Thank you in advance.

Hey, i wrote the tool mostly for the Panzer Front translation in mind, but you can of course use it with other games.
The tool is capable of editing of sjis string with fixed lengths. One major feature of it is the generation of letter-pair font/s, that double the length of any string without any pointer hacking. Or you can use the classic SJIS Latin letters (when the game font supports it). It also has Spreadsheet import/export for fast prototyping (for example, you can feed it into Google Translate and reimport).

You can play around with it if you want: https://github.com/derplayer/PanzerFron ... /TEXT_GSMT
This version is not final, but was enough for the Panzer Front translation.
No support is given for this version. The tool is a bit buggy and tricky to work with, but in future I will try to rework it into a stable tool.

As alternative, you could use Kruptar 7 or Atlas ;)

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Post#123 » Sun May 01, 2022 11:30 pm

It would be interesting to translate this JP game:

TROIA 1186 B.C Mystery Adventure (by Hitachi) an exclusive Dreamcast game

Troia 1186 B.C. (JP).jpg
Troia 1186 B.C. (JP).jpg (14.36 KiB) Viewed 5064 times

Gameplay on Youtube by SEGA-SKY: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8JFSCcBKXc
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

SparkThaMetal
dark night

Post#124 » Mon May 02, 2022 5:08 pm

Why isnt code veronica x jap-eng on this list? viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8493

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#125 » Mon May 02, 2022 6:01 pm

Any plans for Animastar translation?

Elias
noob

Post#126 » Wed May 11, 2022 4:39 am

Do you have any basic skills for translating console games? Where to start? Can anyone share their experience. Very interesting. Thanks in advance.

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#127 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:42 pm

megavolt85 wrote:
madsheep wrote:this is all known but the problem is the limited space also the letters have big spacing between themt

still need to find the size of the texture and change it from 24x24 to 12x24, but the font is already used correctly and this text is written as ASCII

Снимок экрана_2021-02-24_17-16-10.png

Снимок экрана_2021-02-24_20-06-40.png

Hey Megavolt85,

I'm curious -- how did you modify SEGAGAGA to use the narrow ASCII font from the BIOS, rather than the wider font where tiles are referenced by 2-byte SHIFT-JIS values? I know that narrower font set is also in the BIOS (along with the "fat" one), and I believe it's documented somewhere.

I saw the pseudo-C code you shared (presumably from Ghidra) for FUN_8c0238c2. 8c16b548, and 8c16b5ce, but I haven't taken the time to load up the executable yet to investigate them to see if it's the one you modified for ASCII and narrower tiles.

The reason I ask is because combining what you showed with the tutorial here for tile spacing (viewtopic.php?f=52&t=15466#p164268) would result in a nice, narrow font with plenty of room for English text.

I'm very busy with Nakoruru still, but it would be nice to document this somewhere for somebody who may want to attempt SEGAGAGA in the future.

Thanks for reading :D
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

megavolt85
Developer

Post#128 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:12 pm

ateam wrote:I saw the pseudo-C code you shared (presumably from Ghidra) for FUN_8c0238c2. 8c16b548, and 8c16b5ce, but I haven't taken the time to load up the executable yet to investigate them to see if it's the one you modified for ASCII and narrower tiles.

unfortunately I deleted all the unpacked NTSC-J images due to lack of hard disk space, all edits were made directly in the image and I don’t remember what exactly I edited :(

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#129 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:00 pm

megavolt85 wrote:
ateam wrote:I saw the pseudo-C code you shared (presumably from Ghidra) for FUN_8c0238c2. 8c16b548, and 8c16b5ce, but I haven't taken the time to load up the executable yet to investigate them to see if it's the one you modified for ASCII and narrower tiles.

unfortunately I deleted all the unpacked NTSC-J images due to lack of hard disk space, all edits were made directly in the image and I don’t remember what exactly I edited :(

No problem, thanks for the quick reply!

I'll take a look at this again one day.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

Treamcaster
fire

Post#130 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:31 pm

ateam wrote:(...) but it would be nice to document this somewhere for somebody who may want to attempt SEGAGAGA in the future.

I believe one day all dreamcast translation teams will gather and make this happen.