The Sonic Decompilations Megathread.

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: VasiliyRS, deluxux

NeoSnk
Prince of Persia

The Sonic Decompilations Megathread.

Post#1 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:11 pm

Sonic CD has also been decompiled, this would be a great addition to the DC library:

https://github.com/Rubberduckycooly/Son ... ompilation
Last edited by NeoSnk on Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrews + Tutorials + Interviews (Dreamcast/Sega Saturn): https://titangamestudios.com/

I'm Titan_Guy on PSO :)

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Sonic CD Has been decompiled.

Post#2 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:26 pm

Yes, also the guy he mentions in the credits at bottom of page named Sappharad already started work on Sonic CD to Dreamcast in 2017 and showed a progress video.

I spoke to him last year in a comment under the video asking if there was any updates or news he could share with us. Here is how that played out.

BFKAnthony817
4 months ago
@Sappharad Hey man, how is it going? Any progress on this or even the other versions mentioned above? Thanks.

Sappharad
4 months ago
@BFKAnthony817 The Mac and Windows builds are mostly finished now; I added controller support for those last month and a setup wizard for the macOS build to point it at game files. (On Windows you just drop the EXE in the folder with the game data)
The only things left on PC platforms are the videos and using music loop points.

So everything I need to resume the Dreamcast port is already in place, and I may have more to share later this year.

So rest assured, work has already begun, but the one you posted was another source decompiled with some help from the creator of the first recompilation.

MastaG
fire

Post#3 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:25 pm

This is nice.
I'm one of the few who likes Sonic CD better than 2 and 3+Knuckles.
It was the stage design and beautiful cd-audio soundtrack that I grew up with.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:17 pm

Yeah it really is a great game. I own it on Steam and it is tons of fun.

Ro Magnus Larsson
Graffiti Grind

Post#5 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:48 am

Anthony817 wrote:Yes, also the guy he mentions in the credits at bottom of page named Sappharad already started work on Sonic CD to Dreamcast in 2017 and showed a progress video.

I spoke to him last year in a comment under the video asking if there was any updates or news he could share with us. Here is how that played out.

BFKAnthony817
4 months ago
@Sappharad Hey man, how is it going? Any progress on this or even the other versions mentioned above? Thanks.

Sappharad
4 months ago
@BFKAnthony817 The Mac and Windows builds are mostly finished now; I added controller support for those last month and a setup wizard for the macOS build to point it at game files. (On Windows you just drop the EXE in the folder with the game data)
The only things left on PC platforms are the videos and using music loop points.

So everything I need to resume the Dreamcast port is already in place, and I may have more to share later this year.

So rest assured, work has already begun, but the one you posted was another source decompiled with some help from the creator of the first recompilation.

Any SEGA CD/MEGA CD game Will be welcomed, those games were unique specially those kind of movie games like Sewer shark, Mad dog, or Crime Patrol
Ro Magnus Larsson
DC HDD Tester
Argentina.-

MastaG
fire

Post#6 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:07 am

I know I shouldn't be stealing threads..but how are the genesis games doing on the dreamcast emulators such as gens4all?
Can they be played at full speed with audio?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:34 pm

Not all are full speed, but they all work with audio and you have to play with the config settings on a game by game basis to get them working decently. Hopefully someday when Ian gets all caught up with all his other projects he could look into updating that emulator as well. But Mega Drive/Genesis and SNES emulation was never quite where it should have been. Ian is updating lots of great emulators, and recently he was working on updating SNES4ALL so maybe he will do it with GENS4ALL as well.

You can see where the performance is at with the last version ever released.

MastaG
fire

Post#8 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:46 pm

Well the reason I was asking is because somebody on reddit posted an updated version of Gens4ALL with PVR acceleration.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comm ... &context=3

Anyone who tried it?

Motoracer5
dark night

Post#9 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:09 pm

MastaG wrote:Well the reason I was asking is because somebody on reddit posted an updated version of Gens4ALL with PVR acceleration.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comm ... &context=3

Anyone who tried it?

Best one I have used. Need to try it without my DC overclocked, but the games I tried felt full speed and had fantastic audio

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:24 pm

@MastaG Wow, I never heard of that version! Damn PVR rendering is just the thing we need! I need to get in contact with him somehow and ask if he will release it.

@Motoracer5 He is not asking about the linked one in that thread, but the one in the post he showed. As far as it looks the guy didn't release it?