UGGM - Ugly GDEmu Games Manager

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Louhike
shadow

UGGM - Ugly GDEmu Games Manager

Post#1 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:39 pm

Hey all,

I just released the 0.7.0 version of UGGM. It aims to be an open source replacement of GDEMU_SD from MadSheep. It works kinda differently though. You give it one or several source folders where your games are and it will scan the sub folders and archives to see the games you have. It will then display which one are on your SD. You can copy your games on the SD and it has also the option to shrink the games (it uses GDITools internally).

For now it supports only GDI and CDI. I still consider it a pre-release because I haven't add a lot of feedback, so there may be bugs, but it works well in my case and I use it frequently.

It only support Windows for now, but I want to make it cross-platform (Windows, Mac and Linux) in a future release.

You can download the last version at: https://github.com/Louhike/Ugly-GDEmu-G ... r/releases

Any feedback is appreciated, and I'll be glad to help if you want to participate in the project in any way!

Louhike
shadow

Re: UGGM - Ugly GDEmu Games Manager

Post#2 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:31 pm

I released a new version, 0.7.1 which fixes CDI copies: https://github.com/Louhike/Ugly-GDEmu-G ... r/releases

Beefalo
lithium

Post#3 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:46 pm

Very cool, I was wondering when someone else was gonna take a stab at making something like this. I'm a VB.NET programmer myself but am too wrapped up with my own stuff at the moment.

Louhike
shadow

Post#4 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:28 pm

For those using the tool and having the error "Cannot manage CDI with something else than two sessions." with some CDI files, it just has been fixed with the new 0.7.2 : https://github.com/Louhike/Ugly-GDEmu-G ... sion_0_7_2.

For those interested on technical details, the header address is different according to the version of the CDI format. For later versions, it was a value you had to subtract from the total length of the file, but for older versions, it was the address directly. I was afraid it would take a long time to fix (hence why I didn't touch the tool for 4 months...), but it was actually quite simple!
I'm considering making a wiki about the technical info I found while making the tool as I had some difficulties to find it (and for some of it, it was trial and error).

The next updates I intend to make are:
  • The ability to rename/sort games
  • Improve error handling while shrinking
  • Convert GDI tools on .NET/C# to improve performance and go closer on my goal to make the tool crossplatform!

Do not hesitate to contact me or post a message if you have a bug or have a suggestion to improve the tool! If you want to take part in the project, I'll be happy to help you.

sonik
Developer

Post#5 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:49 pm

Kudos for implementing the cdi parser!
When I was coding my manager I tried very hard to find information on the file type specs. Then I dropped it and now I just use Aaru library. But even it have problems opening some cdi files.
When Aaru refuses to open a file, I just scan it looking for the "segakatana" magic string. Not effective but works :)
Converting GDITools to dot net will be an insane amount of work. I wish you luck.
EDF! EDF! EDF!

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#6 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:55 am

Still trying to get the hang of this app. My folder with GDI files displays no problem. But my folder with CDI files was having problems. turns out I had games zipped and unzipped in same folder and the app gave me errors for it. I put all the cdi in one folder unzipped but it didn't display them. do they have to be in individual folders?

Louhike
shadow

Post#7 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:28 pm

dubcity wrote:Still trying to get the hang of this app. My folder with GDI files displays no problem. But my folder with CDI files was having problems. turns out I had games zipped and unzipped in same folder and the app gave me errors for it. I put all the cdi in one folder unzipped but it didn't display them. do they have to be in individual folders?

Yes they have to be in separate folders.
I will look into the problem of the tool failing with games being present zipped and zipped in the same folder. I've created an issue on Github: https://github.com/Louhike/Ugly-GDEmu-G ... /issues/73.

sonik wrote:Kudos for implementing the cdi parser!
When I was coding my manager I tried very hard to find information on the file type specs. Then I dropped it and now I just use Aaru library. But even it have problems opening some cdi files.
When Aaru refuses to open a file, I just scan it looking for the "segakatana" magic string. Not effective but works :)
Converting GDITools to dot net will be an insane amount of work. I wish you luck.

Yes, CDI information is quite hard to find. The best bet is to find an open source tool manipulating it and analyze the code.