What games would be a good fit to be ported to DC?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Spleet
dark night

Re: What games would be a good fit to be ported to DC?

Post#161 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:02 pm

Are early 'true' 3D games like Hover and Descent possible?

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#162 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:07 pm

I always felt Super Monkey Ball just missed it's Dreamcast port. Would have been an awesome puzzle-platformer for the DC. I know it came out on Gamecube and Xbox (as Super Monkey Ball Deluxe) a few years later - with graphics that might have been a bit too much for DC. But there's no reason the engine itself couldn't have functioned perfectly on our favourite white box.

Now I know what will be raised - "We don't have the source code". I'm aware of that. However I've seen ball-puzzlers done by others too. Marble Blast Ultra was a very good example, and was a super-early Xbox 360 XBLA title, literally from launch. I can't imagine it was very high budget.
What's the possibility of, if not directly porting Monkey Ball, recreating the engine in some capacity for an unofficial Super Monkey Ball DC?

Spleet
dark night

Post#163 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:48 pm

Roareye wrote:I always felt Super Monkey Ball just missed it's Dreamcast port. Would have been an awesome puzzle-platformer for the DC. I know it came out on Gamecube and Xbox (as Super Monkey Ball Deluxe) a few years later - with graphics that might have been a bit too much for DC. But there's no reason the engine itself couldn't have functioned perfectly on our favourite white box.

Now I know what will be raised - "We don't have the source code". I'm aware of that. However I've seen ball-puzzlers done by others too. Marble Blast Ultra was a very good example, and was a super-early Xbox 360 XBLA title, literally from launch. I can't imagine it was very high budget.
What's the possibility of, if not directly porting Monkey Ball, recreating the engine in some capacity for an unofficial Super Monkey Ball DC?

Not a port, and possibly illegitimate, but there's this:
https://mobile.twitter.com/davereichelt ... 9980954625

I don't know anything more than this instance and one post somewhere around these forums about it. Can't recall where or who. It's probably a pipe dream tho. More likely to be a proof of concept than the whole game unless the guy's a miracle worker or has access he hasn't divulged.. We'll have to wait and see.

EDIT
A more recent post with test gameplay:
https://twitter.com/davereichelt/status ... zVnhsc8oMA

My opinion may have changed after seeing this... I can hear the whirring of the monkey ball in my mind watching this..

Neo-dreamer
dark night

Post#164 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:57 pm

Would Neo Geo 64 titles be ideal on the Dreamcast?

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Post#165 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:18 am

dubcity wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:
dubcity wrote:

Anyone that knows bennugd gonna take a crack at this?

Off hand the major problem with BennuGD is it's not compiled but like basic.. ON dreamcast this is using tons of ram.. So what i have found is anything over 5mb does not run even simple games run out of ram ..

I dont think porting it would be that hard it ever running on BennuGD DC would.. But with all the ways we have to play SOR including the OG now with gens4all from tapamN at 60fps with correct sound.. Might not be that big a loss..

Vita has tons of ram for things like this.. Other thing is BennuGD Is very slow think of it compiling and build the game when you run it.. Simple simple things are about all you can do with it.. Visual novels are suited so you dont need a good framerate.

Well that sucks. I thought we might be onto something. I know dreambor does these types of games also so no worries. There is a decent modding community behind this game so would have been cool to bring some of them over or let our folks who love to mod take a crack at it.

There is the early version SORR v4 too maybe with less specs requirements.
Dreamcast community has to do something with SORR, it is a big project even better than official SOR4, you can create mod/games/ missions and any character inside the engine, and year after year people release mods and chars like crazy.
Another one to look at is the SOR Z series concept of increasing your character power level stage after stage
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

Axel85
lithium

Post#166 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:48 am

Spleet wrote:
Roareye wrote:I always felt Super Monkey Ball just missed it's Dreamcast port. Would have been an awesome puzzle-platformer for the DC. I know it came out on Gamecube and Xbox (as Super Monkey Ball Deluxe) a few years later - with graphics that might have been a bit too much for DC. But there's no reason the engine itself couldn't have functioned perfectly on our favourite white box.

Not a port, and possibly illegitimate, but there's this:
https://mobile.twitter.com/davereichelt ... 9980954625

I don't know anything more than this instance and one post somewhere around these forums about it. Can't recall where or who. It's probably a pipe dream tho. More likely to be a proof of concept than the whole game unless the guy's a miracle worker or has access he hasn't divulged.. We'll have to wait and see.

EDIT
A more recent post with test gameplay:
https://twitter.com/davereichelt/status ... zVnhsc8oMA

My opinion may have changed after seeing this... I can hear the whirring of the monkey ball in my mind watching this..

Also neverball has been ported to dreamcast and it's running good , so monkey ball could be possible if done properly

k-do
Doom

Post#167 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:26 pm

Is it possible to update Super Mario wars for Dreamcast? We have justa an old version, but some better versions was released.
The last version is 1.8 beta 2 , its seems to be a discontinuated project.

http://72dpiarmy.supersanctuary.net/ind ... ic=10241.0

k-do
Doom

Post#168 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:33 pm

This is a greaT super mario wars mod, would be nice play it on Dreamcast.
https://gamejolt.com/games/supercatwars/627452

k-do
Doom

Post#169 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:41 pm

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#170 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:27 pm