What games would be a good fit to be ported to DC?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

kremiso
Rank 9

Re: What games would be a good fit to be ported to DC?

Post#41 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:08 pm

thedemon1238 wrote:I think what Dreamcast misses the most is a Dungeon Crawl RPG game. Like First Person ones. Almost every console has at least one.

https://www.dungeoncrawlers.org

you can play a couple of them via ScummVM
i.e. Lands of Lore, Eye of Beholder 1 & 2

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#43 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:29 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Chilly WIlly actually was supposed to look into porting AVP to DC. I think that game would SERIOUSLY be a good fit for the DC. Would fit well within the specs of it.

But he eventually left the DC community and that was years, and years and years ago by this point. You can actually see the thread here where I was super excited to have that game.

https://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 14&t=99489

Edi: Haha I see you actually posted in the thread too back in the day lol. :lol:

Haha we've all been doing this for so long we are going round in circles! :lol:

I wanted these in 99/00 then again 09 and now again in 2020 must be a ten year cycle.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#44 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:32 pm

AVP needed openAL and used to much ram sure he had it running and then it crash run out memory .. This happens to me with many ports and i just forget about it and move on..

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#45 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:45 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:AVP needed openAL and used to much ram sure he had it running and then it crash run out memory .. This happens to me with many ports and i just forget about it and move on..

That's a shame. I didn't think any of those games would really be possible although I did get super excited about blade runner a while back.

It'd be nice to see something like the Postal source code stuff eventually be done though.

I missed a lot of PC game of that era because my PC sucked real bad! Although I did get Total Annihilation for free with it which was fun :)

BananaXX
undertow

Post#46 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:07 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:AVP needed openAL and used to much ram sure he had it running and then it crash run out memory .. This happens to me with many ports and i just forget about it and move on..

I remember watching a video with Todd Howard explaining that to get Morrowind working on the original Xbox they would "reset" the console during certain load screens since they'd run out of memory. Would something like this be possible to get things like AvP or Quake 2 working?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#47 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:13 pm

Ah you mean some way to purge the memory of most stuff while still keeping instructions to let it know what load into next level?

BananaXX
undertow

Post#48 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:10 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Ah you mean some way to purge the memory of most stuff while still keeping instructions to let it know what load into next level?

Yeah I found the article if anyone is interested:
https://gamerant.com/todd-howard-elder- ... oad-times/

"The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind required a ton of memory to track character quests, items, and world states, much more than the Xbox offered. Ultimately, this meant the developer had to find a way to maintain the same quality the game had on PC on the less powerful console. The developer settled with secretly rebooting the console during some load times to free up memory and keep the game running. Secretly rebooting the console seems bizarre, but certainly did the trick as the port was well received by long time fans of the series."

BloodBrother
core

Post#49 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:41 pm

Had the developers of Among Us made the game open source, as they once intended, would it have been possible to port? I feel with it would have been the most perfect fit for our beloved console.
Also, I second Blade Runner.
THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT IS A LIE.

If you want it, come and take it from me. If you think you can, you still dont know me.

MastaG
Quad Damage

Post#50 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:58 pm

Crysis