What games would be a good fit to be ported to DC?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

PonySlaystation
noob

Re: What games would be a good fit to be ported to DC?

Post#121 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:27 pm

Would love to see Ninja Baseball Bat Man or Road Rash (32 bit). I don't know how hard any of those would be to port/emulate tho, but Ninja Baseball Bat Man is from 93 and works on mame so maybe atleast that one would be possible?

godwings
noob

Post#122 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:47 pm

I think that conker from n64 and duck dodgers also from n64 could be run by DC.

DreamcastFreak2004
shadow

Post#123 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:16 pm

How about Oni, The last bungie game to be on the classic Mac!

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#124 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:39 pm

I swear, you people have no idea what you NEED in order to port something. You need source code first of all, and to my knowledge 90% of games people are asking if can be ported do not have any released. So asking for this game or that and not doing basic research first to see if it has source code released is not helping your case for why this or that game should be ported haha.

Look here, this should help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... ource_code

IdeaSpy2.5
shadow

Post#125 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:31 am

What about OpenXcom?
The source code is available and I'm sure the Dreamcast could handle it (since there's an official PS1 version).

lalo1982
shadow

Post#126 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:24 am

Could this PC demo be ported to DC??
https://youtu.be/U6kr93vpek4

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#127 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:08 am

Anthony817 wrote:I swear, you people have no idea what you NEED in order to port something. You need source code first of all, and to my knowledge 90% of games people are asking if can be ported do not have any released. So asking for this game or that and not doing basic research first to see if it has source code released is not helping your case for why this or that game should be ported haha.

To be fair, there's not really been any conversation over suggestions that do meet those requirements either. It just seems to be a topic of people throwing out either a wishlist or the same old PC titles that run on Wayne or whatever it's called.

I suggested Xtreme G III on PS2, as the source code has been released, but no conversation on it. Others have mentioned titles with source code and no conversation. I think people are worried about discussing the ideas in case everyone dogpiles them into actually making the port, so the topic just devolves into "I want Call of Duty Black Ops" and other impossible guff.

gilvan666
lithium

Post#128 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:27 pm

Blood 1997 2000/2010 FPS Monolith Productions In 2000, partial source code of an alpha version was leaked. In 2010, the complete alpha source code was leaked.[94] Using the code as reference, a reverse engineered build of the final version was created by Alexander Makarov for source ports around 2017.[
Dreamcast NTSC, MOD BIOS, MOD VGA, MOD IDE.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#129 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:55 pm

Roareye wrote:
Anthony817 wrote:I swear, you people have no idea what you NEED in order to port something. You need source code first of all, and to my knowledge 90% of games people are asking if can be ported do not have any released. So asking for this game or that and not doing basic research first to see if it has source code released is not helping your case for why this or that game should be ported haha.

To be fair, there's not really been any conversation over suggestions that do meet those requirements either. It just seems to be a topic of people throwing out either a wishlist or the same old PC titles that run on Wayne or whatever it's called.

I suggested Xtreme G III on PS2, as the source code has been released, but no conversation on it. Others have mentioned titles with source code and no conversation. I think people are worried about discussing the ideas in case everyone dogpiles them into actually making the port, so the topic just devolves into "I want Call of Duty Black Ops" and other impossible guff.

indeed i agree a lot with that pretty much all that can be ported has many have and dont run or crash so are never released i have a few no point talking about since they would take full rewrite to do and TBH i dont have the time or skill to do it

Major problem is ported API's before you even think about porting anything not just like porting the src you have to port the librarys theses things need to run as well which is another layer and more ram used ..

Doom for example takes well over 13 mb to run on dreamcast compared to other systems

If people would just think we cant even get snes or megadrive fullspeed with out massive work that would maybe let them know where dealing with a 200mhz low powered embedded system that cant compete with RPi3

Motoracer5
blackout!

Post#130 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:49 pm

Ian, I think you are on the best path with Dreamcast homebrew. Spending time on things that could actually play well and add to the utility of the Dreamcast makes sense. Getting Genesis and Snes games emulating well would be awesome, even if it ends up being single games with specific settings. Ram hungry PC or PS2 ports do not make sense, we don't need crippled versions of these games