What games would be a good fit to be ported to DC?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Dreamcastnews
blackout!

Re: What games would be a good fit to be ported to DC?

Post#151 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:14 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Fun Fact, Stephen Kick the founder of Nightdive contacted me a few years ago for help locating the source for System Shock 2 that had been released in 2010. He saw how prevalent I was in the community cause he kept seeing my name on different forums. I managed to find it after a lot of searching and finally got it to him. As a way of thanking me he allowed me to pick any 1 game out of their library on Steam. I naturally choose Turok. So it was a small part to play but that source allowed them to fully update SS2 and release updates for it. You wouldn't believe how difficult it was to track down that source lol. By the time he asked me it had nearly been completely lost on the net. Luckily 1 super hidden link still had it.

He was a very cool guy to speak with, and who knows maybe we can convince them to do some limited runs of their ported classic remasters on Dreamcast? I would love to see lots of their projects on it. Especially Forsaken!

With Wave Game Studios making a splash with publishing Postal, I wonder if it's worth passing on details to them?
https://youtu.be/XcyBq8vZ3Yg <----- Dreamcast gameplay videos

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#152 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:38 pm

I did try and remind him who I was over Twitter asking if they would plan on doing limited runs or ported games, but no reply. You can see my Tweet here.

https://twitter.com/Anthony_817/status/ ... 7960376320

Engren
rebel

Post#153 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:29 am

Seeing a Yakuza game being ported to Dreamcast would be a dream come true. But the only people who could do this are RGG Studio, and this should be related to some special occasion like Dreamcast mini launch in the future (if they ever decide to do one). I don`t have any technical knowledge about porting games, but as I see the original Yakuza doesn`t do anything much higher above the level of Shenmue 2, Headhunter. So it could be pulled off with some compromises (loading times, fps dips). Yakuza 2, though, as a more technically advanced game and essentially a step up in every direction from the original game - not a chance it could be ported to DC (even the sheer size of the game, 4,31GB, it would be like 6-7 DC discs!). It would be too much to handle for Dreamcast.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#154 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:56 am

There are 8 disc games on saturn lol.. Size means little if it was to use gdemu and 2gb images.. Even Dreamshell HDD could do it..

Niche any ways so why not use the most niche to make the hardest easier to do..

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Post#155 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:45 pm

Xbox 1 console 's complete source code was released in 2020! Any game being ported since 2020?
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#156 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:52 pm

dubcity wrote:Is Streets of Rage Remake possible? Here is the github to psvita port. It is made with BennuGD. And I think it is using SDL 1.2.

https://github.com/isage/sorr-vita

Anyone that knows bennugd gonna take a crack at this?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#157 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:37 am

dubcity wrote:
dubcity wrote:Is Streets of Rage Remake possible? Here is the github to psvita port. It is made with BennuGD. And I think it is using SDL 1.2.

Off hand the major problem with BennuGD is it's not compiled but like basic.. ON dreamcast this is using tons of ram.. So what i have found is anything over 5mb does not run even simple games run out of ram ..

I dont think porting it would be that hard it ever running on BennuGD DC would.. But with all the ways we have to play SOR including the OG now with gens4all from tapamN at 60fps with correct sound.. Might not be that big a loss..

Vita has tons of ram for things like this.. Other thing is BennuGD Is very slow think of it compiling and build the game when you run it.. Simple simple things are about all you can do with it.. Visual novels are suited so you dont need a good framerate.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#158 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:08 am

Ian Micheal wrote:
dubcity wrote:

Off hand the major problem with BennuGD is it's not compiled but like basic.. ON dreamcast this is using tons of ram.. So what i have found is anything over 5mb does not run even simple games run out of ram ..

I dont think porting it would be that hard it ever running on BennuGD DC would.. But with all the ways we have to play SOR including the OG now with gens4all from tapamN at 60fps with correct sound.. Might not be that big a loss..

Vita has tons of ram for things like this.. Other thing is BennuGD Is very slow think of it compiling and build the game when you run it.. Simple simple things are about all you can do with it.. Visual novels are suited so you dont need a good framerate.

Well that sucks. I thought we might be onto something. I know dreambor does these types of games also so no worries. There is a decent modding community behind this game so would have been cool to bring some of them over or let our folks who love to mod take a crack at it.

brad86
rebel

Post#159 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:46 am

SoR Remake on Dreamcast would be awesome. Even better if it was ever possible on Saturn. Saves me having to use SStoDC controller adaptors. Saturn homebrew has had its moments in recent years. Be great for that to get more love, too.

marchegiano
Quad Damage

Post#160 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:57 am

I've some ideas but I doubt any are winners.

Gizmondo?

I doubt it's possible, but it is another WinCE 'console' of a sort. :lol: literally the only reason is because I saw it has WinCE and thought that made it a maybe. I don't even know how one would get a gizmondo game :lol: I'm just putting it out there.

Flash?

I think this is possible but probably takes some level of work and the pay off is just flash games. I seem to recall a while back chancing across a thread with the TitanIDE fella who explained how to play Flash games in the browser on a DC. Hows about dropping the entire internet bits and just having a player+game on a disc? Similar to the emu+rom on a disc deals but with flash. Or maybe tricking everything into thinking it's online but really it's just accessing a disc?

Slimmed down OSes with one purpose?

There's WinCE and I've seen LinuxDC or some such Linux on a DC before. Is it not possible to throw away all the unneeded user-controlled stuff and just have an OS, a game, and all the bits needed to make them work? What i mean to say is can't an OS be used as like a buffer between console and game? No desktop or commandline approximation. Just boot, launch game, play game, it can do nothing else.

Basically, what I am saying is in my ignorance I don't understand why, if you can make a full blown linux, why you can't use the same logic to produce less of a full OS and more just a game launching OS and a game.

Is that not basically what WinCE games for DC are? Just enough WinCE for the game?

Anyway, Like I said, I doubt any are good offers. I just didn't see this sort of stuff mentioned and don't personally know why there's such a lack of interest in CE and stuff like CE. TBH, I don't even properly understand why I can't install CE stuff on a DC. I just assume there's not enough Windows for more than CE+Game on a disc.

Cheers buds, super interesting thread.