DreamArena 3 - New Browser Development

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Rolly
letterbomb

Re: DreamArena 2.0 - The revolutionary browser

Post#21 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:29 pm

The playing background music works in the DC browser with this code (i use this with my old compilation):

<bgsound src = "HTML.wav" loop = "- 1">

After my tests it appears that apart from ADX also WAVE is accepted, but in low quality - 8000 Hz.
I also have a list of x-avefront commands (unfortunately these are not all known to me).

Navigation commands:

<br>x-avefront://---.dream/util/visit
<br>x-avefront://a--.avefront/navigation/backward
<br>x-avefront://a--.avefront/navigation/forward
<br>x-avefront://a--.avefront/navigation/reload

Menu options:

<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/menu/bookmark
<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/menu/jump
<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/menu/mail
<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/menu/chat
<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/menu/help
<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/menu/option
<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/menu/connect
<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/menu/disconnect
<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/menu/exit
<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/menu/back
<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/menu/forward
<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/menu/reload
<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/menu/zoom
<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/menu/file
<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/menu/sntp
<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/menu/urlchat
<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/menu/pmsg_list
<br>
<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/menu/accountinfo
<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/menu/provider
<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/menu/modem

Multi-Media Playback (append path to file being played at the end):

<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/play/mpeg/
<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/play/adx/

Other :
<br>x-avefront://---.menu/start
<br>x-avefront://---.menu/sendmail
<br>x-avefront://---.smail/list?type=U&
<br>x-avefront://---.smail/list?type=N
<br>x-avefront://---.push/list?type=A
<br>x-avefront://---.push/list?type=B
<br>x-avefront://---.push/list?type=M
<br>x-avefront://---.push/list?type=P
<br>x-avefront://---.menu/askmessage
<br>x-avefront://---.setup/list
<br>x-avefront://---.dream/proc/launch/

Maybe they will be useful ;)

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#22 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:43 pm

Thanks to Rolly, I managed to get a preliminary success, though it isn't streaming from the net, just playing a low-end WAV. Because DC runs on a form of Internet Explorer 5 or 6, the <BGSOUND> codes it uses don't work on any other browser other than Internet Explorer and DC. Even Microsoft Edge can't see it.
Since BGSOUND doesn't include any form of controls, I was able to add a "Stop" feature by simply swapping the frame page for a "stopped" page, as can be seen in the video. Music plays seamlessly across page changes regardless :D

Rolly has found what seems to be a built-in media player on a Dream Passport disc, he's going to look into it to see if we can implement a better media player with more control options (Pause rather than Stop would be nice, otherwise the track restarts every time). It may also allow for internet radio streaming but until we dive in further we won't know (and it's not overly likely due to the age of the hardware/software).

Hope you like how the site is coming along.
If anyone is able to help with some of the graphics (Specifically I'd like some sprites for Dreamcast games I can use on the pages) that'd be awesome. Even some existing stuff like Jet Set Radio's isometric art (from the Gameboy Advance game) for Shibuya-cho and the characters, would be a maaasive help. Spriters Resource doesn't have them, and I'm a bit stumped.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#23 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:04 pm

I've gotta go to bed for now, very tired.

However I streamlined the radio player to fit neatly under the DreamArena logo. Allows me to keep the rest of the site layout intact without losing real space.
preview006.jpg

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#24 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:03 pm

A bit more work done on the site. For the DreamCity page (still in testing format) I have set up tables to help divide the position of characters. It allows me more freedom in placing characters beside each other without them pushing each other around the screen when the pop up menu appears. It would be much easier if I could table the pop up menus (and message bubbles that trigger them) on an overlay, but I don't think that's possible in HTML 3/Javascript 1.1

Let me know what you think of the city so far, and any suggestions you may have to make it even better ^_^

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#25 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:51 pm

Update on the DreamCity as it gets populated. I'm not sure if there's a limit to the number of GIFs a DC can show, but these look darn swish. If it turns out there's too many for the DC to handle then I do have a backup plan in mind.

[ Play Quicktime file ] CYBTV_18.mp4 [ 17 MiB | Viewed 6370 times ]

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#26 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:56 am

First post updated with update logs and calls for help on how to implement ideas for the site to truly make it the ultimate DC web browsing experience.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#27 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:04 pm

Sprites from Powerstone PSP https://spritedatabase.net/file/21825
Sprites from Capcom vs. SNK 2: Millionaire Fighting 2001 https://spritedatabase.net/file/27096
Sprites from SegaGaga all kinda stuff here https://www.spriters-resource.com/dreamcast/segagaga/
A ton on this page https://www.spriters-resource.com/dreamcast/

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#28 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:15 pm

About IRC just a link to dreampipes IRC? (pwchat://irc.freenode.net:6667/#dc-talk)

rjay63
Beats of Rage

Post#29 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:25 pm

Hi there, I apologise if I misunderstand, but Dreamarena 2.0 was actually released (back in 2001). Dreamarena itself was not a browser, but Sega Europe's own "intranet" for European Dreamcast users. Users would normally access Dreamarena via the "Dreamkey" browser discs.

A Dreamcast magazine from 2001 has some screenshots showing the Dreamarena 2.0 layout in action, specifically the Dreamarena chatrooms. The magazine itself has been scanned to archive.org and a link to view it is contained within a topic I posted back in May.

https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12967

Be warned though, the content of the old Dreamarena chat was very explicit. Very surprised the screenshots were printed uncensored in a games magazine!

Please note, I am in no way dismissing the efforts to get a version of Dreamarena back up and running, and hope the Dreamarea chatroom screenshots may prove useful.
My Metropolis Street Racer Blog: http://www.msrdreamcast.blogspot.com
MSR ghosts/time trials and official DLC: https://www.dreamcastlive.net/metropoli ... r-dlc.html

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#30 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:34 pm

rjay63 wrote:Hi there, I apologise if I misunderstand, but Dreamarena 2.0 was actually released (back in 2001). Dreamarena itself was not a browser, but Sega Europe's own "intranet" for European Dreamcast users. Users would normally access Dreamarena via the "Dreamkey" browser discs.

I wasn't aware it ever got released. Thanks for the heads up. If there was no browser update for it past Dreamkey 3 then that confirms my suspicion that certain pages were done using Flash. I've just gotten Flash 4, so now I need to learn how to use it.

A Dreamcast magazine from 2001 has some screenshots showing the Dreamarena 2.0 layout in action, specifically the Dreamarena chatrooms. The magazine itself has been scanned to archive.org and a link to view it is contained within a topic I posted back in May.

https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12967

Very useful, thank you ^_^

Please note, I am in no way dismissing the efforts to get a version of Dreamarena back up and running, and hope the Dreamarea chatroom screenshots may prove useful.

Oh I didn't think you were, it's always good to get some clarity on these events as information is scarce.

I just want there to be an easy to navigate interface for DC internet, which is tough considering the limitations of both the software and the hardware (not least the modem). My version of it will likely be a DreamArena 3 by the end, as it'll be a new code with different interfaces for modern uses. I'm just trying to preserve as much as possible and improve the interface for what exists and new stuff. It'll be limited, sure, but ATM a clear landing page would be most welcome on DC.