DreamArena 3 - New Browser Development

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Treamcaster
fire

Re: DreamArena 2.0 - The revolutionary browser

Post#81 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:34 am

I've just finished up the DLC section, and been a bit clever.

Looking sleek! I wonder what HTML trickery you've been into.

Is there something more to it I'm missing? Is there a reason any additional files couldn't be on the server instead of on the disc?

It was just because you could have everything VMU related in one place easily accessible, also easier to update the list as a new file gets discovered and made available for download instead of compiling another .cdi with the new additions.
However the interface Streeker made looks very good, so I also agree with you as this is not really necessary.

Considering I'm one of the main people reviving the defunct Dreamcast websites, I'd say that's a dead certain ;)

Yess.

If you could get me a list with the DC compatible URL addresses, I'll compile a Affiliates section of some kind and add those, no problem.

You're right, almost forgot about compatibility issues. The only one I know of: dc.dreamcast-talk.com
Wouldn't it be cool to get people into designing Web 1.0 websites with Dreamcast compatibility?
From what I gathered, the Dreamcast browser uses HTML 3.0, Javascript 1.1 and Flash 4.0. Any special tips or considerations for someone who wants to start designing with dc browser limitations in mind? (audio configuration; specific layout choices... other tricks?)

I connected to Dreampipe's IRC at irc.choopa.net:6667/#dc-chat - it connected and let me leave a message. Huzzah! Integrated IRC exists in the browser already ^_^

Congrats!!

I'm just curious as to why you'd read them via the Dreamcast's low resolution browser instead of via a modern PC or the real thing?

Yeah, definitely not a priority.

What sort of tips? GameFAQs kinda removes any point in trying to be a one-stop shop for that kinda thing, but perhaps some more niche tips, such as Widescreen Codebreaker codes, or advice of which versions of games to get to get the most features (Japanese Power Stone 2's online multiplayer, US NFL 2K2's online multiplayer, Japanese Soul Calibur's online leaderboards and DLC, Japanese Buggy Heat's DLC and leaderboards etc)

I like your idea more, please go for it. Hopefully we can get Power Stone 2 multiplayer online functionality revived someday.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#82 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:19 pm

About DC Online Now, I wrote a script for my dreampi to screenshot the DCNow Page and save it as an image then show it. viewtopic.php?f=52&t=13675 I bet you could use this if you had a way to automatically upload pictures to the server.
I used http://cutycapt.sourceforge.net/

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
while true; do
xvfb-run --server-args="-screen 0, 800x600x24" cutycapt --url=http://dreamcast.online --out=/home/pi/DreamcastOnline/dcnow.jpeg;
sleep 1;
timeout 60 fim -a /home/pi/DreamcastOnline/dcnow.jpeg;
clear;
rm -f /home/pi/DreamcastOnline/dcnow.jpeg;
done

Xiden
Developer

Post#83 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:03 am

deluxux wrote:About DC Online Now, I wrote a script for my dreampi to screenshot the DCNow Page and save it as an image then show it. viewtopic.php?f=52&t=13675 I bet you could use this if you had a way to automatically upload pictures to the server.
I used http://cutycapt.sourceforge.net/

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
while true; do
xvfb-run --server-args="-screen 0, 800x600x24" cutycapt --url=http://dreamcast.online --out=/home/pi/DreamcastOnline/dcnow.jpeg;
sleep 1;
timeout 60 fim -a /home/pi/DreamcastOnline/dcnow.jpeg;
clear;
rm -f /home/pi/DreamcastOnline/dcnow.jpeg;
done

Another option is php text scraping. That's how I got shus leaderboards to work on dreampipe.net, then you can manipulate the data however you wish to display how you want.

Xiden
Developer

Post#84 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:06 am

Roareye wrote:
Treamcaster wrote:Could be nice to have an IRC channel.

Well, I managed to get the IRC functions working on Dream Passport 3! Because of the language problems it was tricky to navigate, but once the browser is translated it should be a lot easier. It does require you to save the IRC link to your VMU before you can use it though, so remember to have 2 Blocks handy to do that - otherwise you won't be able to connect anywhere.

I connected to Dreampipe's IRC at irc.choopa.net:6667/#dc-chat - it connected and let me leave a message. Huzzah! Integrated IRC exists in the browser already ^_^ Here's some shots;
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
005.jpg
When this is ready to go, and fully translated, remember to go into the browser settings and turn OFF the disconnect timer. It might murder your enjoyment of the IRC chat otherwise :lol:

I'm not going to set up my own IRC, mostly because I don't have the time or patience to run one. However there are multiple other IRCs for Dreamcast, I'm happy to have those stored as pre-set links (if possible) in the refit browser to ensure conversation is easily accessible.

DREAMCAST NOW
I'm going to work with -drez01- to see what we can do about connecting with Dreamcast Now in the browser. I certainly can't do it on the website itself right now. The reason is that the Dreamcast Now website actually uses modern coding (CSS, modern in relation to DC) that the Dreamcast doesn't understand - so the DC simply doesn't try to load it. The code I'm using works, as it shows the Dreamcast Now site in my PC browsers, but the Dreamcast itself won't.

Does anyone know of a Dreamcast-friendly version of DC Now? I couldn't find a link to one. If I could get a link to a DC-friendly version of Dreamcast Now, I could very easily integrate it into the site.

I've been wanting to try this out with dreampipe
and saturn netlink zone https://github.com/reactiflux/discord-irc

Allows irc to talk to discord and vice versa.

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#85 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:41 am

I have just spotted this thread. I am MASSIVELY interested in this. I’ll enjoy reading through these pages.

Keep up the great work
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

Retro-45
letterbomb

Post#86 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:06 am

Well looks like 2021 is going to be a good one for the dreamcast.
Keep at it man, I cant wait to try this out.

Infomaniac95
undertow

Post#87 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:02 am

Weird question, but when all is said and done, would you be able to put a list up somewhere, detailing where all the music used comes from?

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#88 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:51 am

Infomaniac95 wrote:Weird question, but when all is said and done, would you be able to put a list up somewhere, detailing where all the music used comes from?

Sure. Most of it is from the official games, though there's some fan music on there at the moment. I just haven't considered anything "final" yet.

The DLC is as complete as I can make it now, and I'm so happy I got the music to play over several pages without breaking. Now I'm focussing on expanding an existing section...
DA-Test009.jpg

Using HTML to emulate the Sega Channel interface? We'll see if it can be done ;)
DA-Test010.jpg

Infomaniac95
undertow

Post#89 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:21 am

OK, color me VERY interested!

If you want SEGA Channel assets, this might be of interest: https://hiddenpalace.org/Sega_Channel_( ... 6_dev_disc)

There is allot of Game Guide's found from this dev disc. Just search Hidden Palace for SEGA Channel, if you want to check them all out.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#90 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:40 am

I have all the existing Sega Channel versions, I'm ripping assets from them where I can. Annoying that nobody has actually pulled all the spritesheets and backgrounds from these discs yet. It's actually the biggest limitation on what I'm doing, as I don't know anything about game code and ripping animated sprites from games is not a skill of mine. I've tried Spriters Resource but they only have Sonic's sprites ripped, which is the bit I don't need lol

Any idea of any place that has the sprite assets ripped? I opened the dev disc files, but I don't know what to do with any of them. I don't understand the file formats or what any of them are.